73 Unlimited deer

T

trlrtrsh

My son drew a second choice mule deer tag for Unit 73 (obviously, because it is unlimited). Just wondering if anyone has tips on where to go or where to start. East or west of I15? I've been out a few times but just to determine the unit boundaries. Been out on rattlesnake road. How good is sheep creek or dairy creek area (west of I15) or Oxford peak area (east of I15). Not asking a honey hole but willing to take you on a great guaranteed duck/goose hunt. Thanks in advance

>My son drew a second choice
>mule deer tag for Unit
>73 (obviously, because it is
>unlimited). Just wondering if
>anyone has tips on where
>to go or where to
>start. East or west
>of I15? I've been
>out a few times but
>just to determine the unit
>boundaries. Been out on
>rattlesnake road. How good
>is sheep creek or dairy
>creek area (west of I15)
>or Oxford peak area (east
>of I15). Not asking
>a honey hole but willing
>to take you on a
>great guaranteed duck/goose hunt. Thanks
>in advance

honey hole?? in 73?? no such thing. LOL
i cant give u a good place, but if i were you, i'd scout, find a legal buck and be on him opening morning. odds are you'll have others on him too due to the lack of bucks in the unit. the time that it has been Unlimited strangled the deer herds to low numbers. watch the unit go back controlled or 4 point larger next year.
i'd stick around Rattlesnake canyon. you'll catch some bucks coming back and forth between the unit boundaries. bad thing about that, is easy access for other hunters. i havent found an area there where you can 'get away' too well.
years past, if opening day was a week day, you'd be pretty safe if you went out. now days, its just not the case.
i'd check with Mike Birch w/ FS to see if there is access he can recommend.

I almost turned my tag back in, until I saw what was in my last honey hole. But I will expect someone or myself to screw it up. My advice, scout a day or two before the hunt. Pick your buck and take him out as soon as you can recognize him on opening day. Otherwise you can drive around with everyone else.

I'm not one for telling my grandson how big of turd I had to pinch off from having to eat so much meat. I want to give him the antlers that hang from my wall and tell him the unforgettable experience that came with each and every one.

I hunted this in 2010. It was good that year, but not as good as the year before, per my buddies. Never went back because of the number of hunters and we could tell the take was going to be too high.

Had a lot of people up from Utah, and none of them seemed to be trophy hunters. If it was legal they were shooting. Had one group try and block off a road because they had a group of small 1.5 year old bucks they were trying to keep to themselves for the opener 2 days away.

Maybe we should charge double for Utah residents. Just kidding of course.

Unfortunately, more and more good areas will likely go draw, and what's OTC will get more crowded.

I thought all that Rattlesnake area is private. As for Dairy cr. it is all private. Dont forget about the ATV restrictions.73 is a hunt that will discourage a young hunter.

>I thought all that Rattlesnake area
>is private. As for Dairy
>cr. it is all private.
>Dont forget about the ATV
>restrictions.73 is a hunt that
>will discourage a young hunter.
>

it isnt all private up there. i used a detailed map to get around the private onto the public a few years ago. i checked with the FS as well to confirm the access. it was posted, but public. farmers just love doing that sometimes. posting land and roads that are public.
he drove up the road to find me, saw me and drove away after we had a good look at one another. never saw him again.

check your maps good too as some of the fences are in the wrong spots as well. ranchers over stepping onto public ground with fences. a good topo and GPS will help.

Checkout these monsters from this morning.
8249img_5894.jpg

I'm not one for telling my grandson how big of turd I had to pinch off from having to eat so much meat. I want to give him the antlers that hang from my wall and tell him the unforgettable experience that came with each and every one.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom