7.62x39 for Deer Hunting (blacktail)

chevy_dog

I have a CZ 527 bolt action rifle that I recently bought from my neighbor who needed some cash. It is chambered in the 7.62x39 round. I really like the gun. It is short and compact and, well, cute really. I put a 1-4 power scope on it and the gun shoots very accurately at 50 yards (have not taken it past 50 yet).

My wife just got her hunting license this year and I took her to the rifle range to do a little shooting. I started her with the .22, and she can shoot that all day. I gave her the CZ and she really enjoyed shooting that as well. However, when I moved her up to the 6mm Rem, she did not want to shoot more than two rounds, and preferred to go back to the CZ.

She has decided that she would like to go on a deer hunt with me in California (my home state) next year and wants to shoot the CZ. Being that I am not too familiar with this round for hunting (or at all for that matter), I wanted to ask the community their opinion on the round for deer hunting. Does anyone use this round for deer hunting? What are the best factory ammo for this round for hunting (I don't reload)? What are the drawbacks? Recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
-Ryan.

Get a good bullet, keep the shots close and have fun!

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

they do sell hunting rounds for the gun, last i seen it was like 15 bucks for 20 . it would be just fine for deer. please do not use the fmj military rounds for hunting lol.

As long as you keep it out to 100 yards, shouldn't be a problem using it.

Dittos on not using the full metal jacket bullets. Not what you want with a hunting bullet.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I have killed quite a few larger then deer sized boar/hogs with mine and I'm here to tell you it is no slouch in the hunting woods. 99% of the time it runs the cheap steel cased military stuff but when I'm hunting it gets Winchester super X 123 Gr. PowerPoints and the work well. The only gun I refuse to reload for.

IMG_0753.jpg

Good luck,

Todd

The 7.62 X 39 mm is very close to the 30-30 in power. With soft point bullets it will make a very good deer round for your wife.
Use the military full metal jacket and hollow points for practice and plinking and switch to soft points for hunting. Be sure to re-sight it in for the soft points prior to hunting.
If hunting in CA. sight it in for a 100 yard zero and she should have no problems on getting her deer.

RELH

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom