66a bear and elk hunt

A

Ajnic10

Hey guys not looking for secret spots. Have hunted Colorado elk a lot with a lot of success. Going to try Idaho this year with a few buddies that have never elk hunted. Looking at unit 66a a-tag. Any advice for that unit. Also was thinking about putting a bait site for a bear. Which from what I have read is legal in that area. I've killed a lot of elk, but never bear hunted so was thinking about breaking away to try it. Any advice? Are there even bears in that unit? Thanks!

It can be tough to draw that unit for elk. I have a buddy that has been trying for 7 years and hasn't ever pulled a tag. Odds are around 14:1 and getting worse each year. Having said that I think it would be a good hunt if one of you guys draws out. I don't have any info on bears in that unit.

I assume you know this is Archery only. Basically the month of September for Any Elk. So I am a numbers guy and only looking at 2015 data it has 26% success rate with almost 3/4 being Bulls. With just more then half of them being 6 point or better Bulls. Numbers can be a problem if you don't know the ground as a lot of times they can be on private most of the time. I would call the local F&G office and talk to all who will talk to you about the area. But for me if the kill rate gets over 20% I feel good about going. Sounds like you know elk hunting and armed with the basics you can go to an area like this and work hard and have opportunities.

Good luck DZ

I thought it was over the counter for archery and draw for rifle? That's atkeast what I gathered from Idaho game and fish

66A is an over the counter archery tag August 30-September 30. Nonresident tags are available starting in January, there is a cap on archery tags in this unit and the NR tags sell out very quickly. All rifle tags ( bull and cow) are draw only. This unit holds a large population of elk with a ton of public land to hunt.

>66A is an over the counter
>archery tag August 30-September 30.
>Nonresident tags are available starting
>in January, there is a
>cap on archery tags in
>this unit and the NR
>tags sell out very
>quickly. All rifle tags (
>bull and cow) are draw
>only. This unit holds a
>large population of elk with
>a ton of public land
>to hunt.

Do you know of any bear population in the area. I have never killed a bear. Killed plenty of elk. The bear regulations are kind of hard to follow. Was thinking about putting a bait site out when I get there.

There are a few bears. It takes a lot of work to keep up a station. If you are pretty local, it is doable. If you live out of state, it would be very hard.

Plenty of elk to chase with a bow. Crowed hunt and they get bugle shy is a draw back. It is an opportunity hunt.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom