65mm vs 80 mm Scope

grizzly

Long Time Member
I am trying to weigh the benefits of different size objective lenses for my next scope. I mainly hunt high-country archery, so weight matters to me.

For the smaller category, I am looking at either the Kowa 663 (about $1350) or the Nikon Fieldscope ED 60 (about $1350) or Swarovski ATM 65HD (about $2400).

Or I can go with a bigger lens but more weight, I am thinking either the Kowa 773 (about $2400) or Swarovski ATM 80HD (about $3200).

I am leaning toward the Kowa. They are the most affordable, seem to get great reviews, and my eyes liked them better when I could compare them side-by-side.

My question is to go with the 663 or 773. Is it worth 11 ounces of weight and $1,000 for the extra objective lens?

This is my first higher-end scope, so if you guys have experience, I would love to hear what you have to say.

Grizzly

If you have a chance to try them in the field, the first and last half hour then I would do so. Compare the difference, what seems to fit your "eye" the best, to the difference in weight and packability. Then make your decision.

I got a smoking deal on my Swaro 65HD, which works great for when I pack, but I didn't really have to decide.

I had the swaro 80mm and went with the 65mm. As a spotting scope I don't notice any loss of light or useability. As a digiscoper I did notice the usability of light. I don't know much about the Kowa's but in the swaro's there is not much difference in weight and length between the 80mm and 65mm so the 80mm gets my vote. I too am a backpack hunter and I feel that there are other ways to save the weight but optics is not where I want to skimp. fatrooster.

fatrooster, I have always been an Optic Snob and liked the biggest and best I can afford. I'm with you that you shouldn't skimp on glass, but Swaro 80 is just out of my budget.

Do you think I will regret it if I buy a 66mm scope over a 77mm scope? Even though I save over 1/2 pound and $1000.

Your guys' experience in this really helps. Thanks.

Grizzly

If you are a digiscoper then I would go the Sportsmans warehouse or Cabela's and check them out before I made my decision. If you are not a digiscoper then I think you will be perdfectly happy with the 66mm. fatrooster.

I ordered a Leica, Sworovski, and a Zeiss in the 65. Compared them side by side, along with some other people. We agreed the Zeiss was best. I kept the Zeiss and sent the other two back. It is an outstanding glass and loses little to the 85's. The size and weight is great for carrying in a pack. I have noticed you can pick up demos and used ones for a reasonable price.

I am now in the market for a 85 because it gathers a little more light and has a bigger field of view. But i doubt i will be carrying it in a pack for any overnight trips, because of its size. In an 85 I have it narrowed down to a Razor or Zeiss.

That is a great idea. I was able to compare the Big 3 plus Kowa and Vortex side by side and my eyes liked the Kowa, now it is just the size that I have to decide.

At this level of glass, it is so much of a personal preference thing between brands.

I don't know if you have compared the Kowa 88 to the Razor and Zeiss, but if not, it might be worth throwing it in the mix. It gets rave reviews.

Thanks for the insight, I'm leaning toward the 66 since most guys say it doesn't lose that much light, unless you are digiscoping.

I have heard awesome things about that Kowa 88. Would love to get my eyes behind one to see what they are all about. I have the Razor 85 and pack it everywhere with me. It is well worth packing the weight for the benefit, and I don't regret getting the 85 objective in a scope what so ever. With that being said, I haven't had a 65mm in a high end scope, so maybe I don't know what I am missing.
All my 60mm size scopes have been lower end glass.

}}-SLIVER-->

The larger lens will always give you the best look at whatever you are trying to see, especially in lower light, like the first and last 20 minutes of the day. If they weren't better, they wouldn't make them or sell them. You have to decide if you want to carry the bigger glass or not. It might make the differance of spotting that huge buck before he beds down, or telling if he was what you want to go after before he steps into cover for the day. If you can't see quite good enough with the smaller glass, you will be wishing that you had the bigger. If you can't see good enough with the bigger glass, well you just can't without moving closer. I use both and have to decide which to use on any given day depending on that days game plan.

Dang it azbow, you make some good points. I has sold on the 66, now I'm questioning myself again.

What if I need it for that one monster buck?

I compared 80mm to 60mm scope. During the day, the 80mm shows some benefit of improved resolution. But it's when night falls, the benefit of 80mm spotter really shines, much brighter than 60mm. Out of those large spotter, you should compare Kowa 884, Vortex Razor or ZEN ED2.

When I compared Kowa and Vortex side-by-side, I thought the Kowa was better. I have never looked through Zen Rays before, how do they compare?

I really appreciate all your guys help, this is a big decision and you guys know more than I do, so thanks.

If you want the Swaro spotter but it's out of your price budget find an ATS/STS (the previous model that has the same lenses just doesn't have the magnesium body so they weigh slightly more) and get it. The lenses are exactly the same as the ATM/STM version but you can find a used 80 hd right now if you look for just under $2000

I've looked at those, but I wonder if the Zen Ray with an 85mm objective will be better than a Swaro with a 65 objective. Especially for $1000 less.

I also tend to believe the Kowa 663 is better than the non-HD Swaro 65, and about $600 less.

This is a puzzler. I don't know what I'll do.

I have been doing a lot of research and it seems the KOWA 883 is rated best. Anybody know anything about the durability, their warranty and service department?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom