65mm or 80mm

H

hunt4130

Im Looking at the new viper spotting scopes. HD models. i know what i should get. what are your thoughts on the objective size? Im leaning toward the 80mm but there on back order and im antsy to get one soon!

Mike

Mike,
Depends on how you will be using it. I have a 85mm Zeiss and a 62mm Leica. The 85mm is great for when close to a vehicle but I do not like hiking all day with it. That is where the 62mm shines. Also if you plan on taking pictures through the scope the larger ones gather more light and works better pictures.

Bill

I would 2nd Bill's post above. 85 takes up a lot more space in a pack and is a bit heavier for lugging up and down hills. It may be worth it in low light conditions? I sold my 72 mm Leica a couple years ago and bought a 60 mm. I had them side by side when I first bought it and couldn't see a whole lot of difference. My back and legs sure like the smaller scope! For antelope hunting...mostly from a truck it certainly would be nice having the larger scope though.

I have the 80 and it is heavy to pack around. It is worth the weight though as it performs better in the early morning and just before dark than the 65 does.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom