6.0 Diesel

woodruffhunter

Long Time Member
Do any of you have a Ford with this motor. I am looking for a
used Ford diesel and would prefer the 7.3. However, there is not
a very good selection. A friend of mine had nothing but problems
with his injectors (even after they were replaced). May this was
just a lemon and an isolated occurance.

Please tell me your opinion(s)/experiences.

Thanks!!!

My son bought one, has been in shop twice for warranty work on engine with less then 25,000 miles. My hunting partner has one, so far no problem with 75,000 miles.
Ford has stop making that motor and now has a 6.3. that would make me leary about buying a 6.0. I.m glad I have a 7.3.

RELH

I have ford trucks with both motors. 7.3 is my choice. They seem to be far more dependable than the 6.0. Not as snappy a take off but strong non the less.

Ransom

My entire fleet is fords mostly with the 7.3 with few problems. I drive a 6.0. It is an 07 model. I have 21,000 miles on it and not a single problem. My uncle has 6.0 and it is a 05 model and not a single problem.

If it were me and buying a used 6.0 I would get a late 05 or 06 or 07 model. The first 6.0's back in 02 and 03 did have injector problems.

On a side note the new 6.3 is only going to be made for 3 years and then Ford is going to a different motor. All due to emission standards crap.

?Justice consists not in being neutral between right and wrong, but in finding out the right and upholding it, wherever found, against the wrong.?
---Theodore Roosevelt,

The 6.0 isn't a bad engine. My 7.3L felt like you could push it harder. I have blown an intercooler in my 6.0 but it was my fault for pushing it too hard.

2004 Ford F-350 6.0L......................

bought new, broke down at 1000 miles, 14000 miles, 18,000 miles, 19,000 miles, 27,000 miles and 38,000 miles.....POS!!!

ALL ENGINE / TURBO PROBLEMS

sold it, bought a dodge yesterday.

muleyman

The 03's to mid 04's had major problems with the Pilot Injection system...there was leak down that filled the crank case with fuel. They also had problems with the rear main seal leaking. Not all of them had these issues but from what I could understand from the Diesel Stop web site was that the majority did. I believe most of this was corrected in late 04'.

The 05, 6.0 seems to be pretty reliable and strong.

I've got an 02' 7.3, it's been great except the trans went out at 40K...about 20K of that was towing an overloaded 5th wheel...

LAST EDITED ON Oct-31-07 AT 12:21PM (MST)[p]I run both Fords and Dodges, as has been said the '05,'06 and '07 Powerjoke 6.0 engines are pretty good. the new 6.3's seem to be doing ok but the fuel mileage sucks. at the price of deisel engine options, the fuel economy of the new engines and the price of diesel being higher than gas most of the time unless a guy is pulling heavy loads I think they're a waste of money.

Thanks for all of the advice. I am still having a hard time
deciding which way to go. I plan on pulling a loaded toy hauler
or double pulling an RV trailor as well as a 4-wheeler trailor.

I am not sure if a gas engine can handle this type of load.

Dude,

I agree, if I wasn't going to be pulling a trailor there is
no way I would consider another diesel.

I'm sure all you Ford experts know the new engine is a 6.4.

Do yourself a favor woodruffhunter and buy a duramax.

JB

The Duralax is a decent engine, if you like the cholo lowrider pickup it comes in.

You aint lying, the Chevy/GMC's have ZERO ground clearance. My dad and my hunting buddy both had to put 6" lift on their trucks to enable them to go anywhere off the pavement

A 6" kit on a Chevy sits you eye to eye with a stock Ford. I got a big truck and haul some heavy loads. I haven't been passed by a Duramax or Dodge yet. I keep waiting to pass old Bessy and blow black all over his truck but he's never at the Maverik anymore. IMO they all suck!!! Crappy gas mileage and the price we pay I think they should last forever.

MM!!!

LOL!!!

YOU'D HAVE TO PASS ME FIRST & YOU AIN'T DONE IT YET!!!

THE NEW 07'S & 08'S ARE SUCKY FOR MILEAGE AND YES THE PRICE IS A JOKE!!!

SORRY D-CUP!!!

WE NEED CLEARANCE,REAL CLEARANCE!!!

DOWN THERE IN KALI ALL YOU GOT TO CLEAR IS AN ILLEAGAL ONCE IN A WHILE,LOL!!!

AND NO I'M NOT CALLING YOU A NAME BECAUSE YOU DRIVE A DURA-MAX!!!

CHEVY & GMC IS FINALLY BACK COMPETING,FINALLY,THEY'RE NICE TRUCKS BUT I HEAR THE DURA-MAXI-PAD IS ALSO A THIRSTY RIG???

FIND ME A FORD OR A CHEVY THAT PRODUCES 800 FT LBS OF TORQUE & 18-19 MPG & I'LL CONSIDER BUYING ONE!!!

I'D BETTER SHUT UP BECAUSE THESE BRAND NEW DODGES ARE NOT WHAT THEY USED TO BE EITHER!!!

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

THE ONLY bobcat THAT KNOWS ALOT OF YOU HAVE HAD THIS IMAGE IN YOUR PEA BRAIN BUT DUE TO POOR SHOOTING TACTICS I'M STILL KICKIN!!!

Bess, believe me, the lack of clearance is a big PITA, I'm still pounding the dents out from under my '02 to sell it. I do alot of "grading" when offroad. But. it damn sure rides and runs good.

JB

D-CUP!!!

I AGREE!!!

THEY RIDE GREAT!!!

THE BRAND NEW ONES RUN GREAT!!!

WHAT KIND OF MILEAGE DO YOU AVERAGE AT 80 MPH DOWN THE HI-WAY???

AND???

HOW LONG OR HOW MANY MILES MUST YOU DRIVE ONE TO GET 45,000.00 WORTH OF USE OUT OF IT???

IN '82 I PAID 12,000.00 FOR A BRAND NEW PICK-UP & I THOUGHT IT WAS THE MOST OVERPRICED THING I'D EVER HEARD OF!!!

NOW THEY ARE 4 TIMES THAT AMOUNT!!!

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

THE ONLY bobcat THAT KNOWS ALOT OF YOU HAVE HAD THIS IMAGE IN YOUR PEA BRAIN BUT DUE TO POOR SHOOTING TACTICS I'M STILL KICKIN!!!

Like I said before "They all suck" IMO. Bessy, your not the problem it's the women in their mini vans hauling butt that have almost killed me in your neck of the woods. Here's what happens when you go too fast in Bessy's neck of the woods with a 5th wheel.

IMG_0197.jpg

IMG_0198.jpg

Huntindude wrote-

" at the price of deisel engine options, the fuel economy of the new engines and the price of diesel being higher than gas most of the time unless a guy is pulling heavy loads I think they're a waste of money.

I say ditto!!

I run a 2000 F-250 with the V-10 and absolutely love it!
beleive it or not, it get's the same fuel mileage as the diesels.
At 75MPH, i'm only turning 2100 RPM's, the thing just purrs like a kitty! About the only thing it doesn't have that the diesels do is that "turbo" feel of acceleration. But once you get in the power range it will pull all day long.

My loads aren't TOO heavy though. I can pull my 18' house trailer with an ATV in my bed and 70+ MPH, or my 21 foot bassboat like it's not even back there.

it's the cost of the maintenence on the diesels (not too mention the smell) that has kept me away from them.:)

Skull Krazy
"No Bones About It"

We have an '04 F550 at work with the 6.0... it has a BUNCH of power, great driveability, BUT!!!!
Just picked it up from the dealer this morning (again!!!) fer a perferated... egr?? it let oil into the coolant.
It's blown the head gaskets, twice!
The ineter cooler has failed- twice!
The trans has been replaced once.
They thought this new problem was another head gasket, tore it all the way down 'an found the other problem.
Oh, the ezest way to do a head gasket on these trucks is to pull the cab off!!!
The company I work for has a major fleet of trucks(around 40), mostly Fords- until this lemon!
It was the last Ferd, they switched to GMCs.

ELK-A-BONGER!!!

YOU'RE RIGHT!!!

YOU HAVE TO PULL THE CAB OFF OF THESE NEW POS FORDS TO WORK ON THE ENGINE!!!

WAFJ!!!

IF FUEL PRICES KEEP GOING UP ARE YOU GUYS & GALS GONNA LAUGH AT ME WHEN YOU SEE ME PACKIN MY RIFLE ON A BICYCLE???

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom