55 - 70 Year Old Hunters

Triple_BB

Very Active Member
Would like to hear from some of our sites more mature hunters. I'll be hitting 50 in the not so distant future. At the moment, I feel as physically fit as I did 10 years ago. I quartered and packed out a large bull moose by myself a few years back and feel I could do the same tomorrow if I had to. I've been building a nice nest egg over the last 10 - 12 years to start doing more guided hunts as I get older. I'll be going on one this year in the Thorofare. Question is, when did some of you guys start to feel like you couldn't hunt anymore like you did when you were younger? If it applies, at what age would you rather have been doing low exertion hunts versus something like the Thorofare where most everything is straight up. My goal is to be able to do at least one or two guided hunts a year starting in my mid 50's or so. I've had some health issues in the last few years and am now thinking maybe I should start getting serious about doing some of my dream type high exertion hunts in the next couple of years versus thinking I'll be able to walk up the side of a mountain and get to the top in the same day when I'm in my early sixties...

I'm 53 and up until 2 years ago I was still doing everything that I did as a 20 year old. Which is a big part of the reason my knee went. Had to have a total knee replacement 1 year ago come Nov. I still feel like I can do it all but when i use the knee a lot , at the end of the day I realize I can't. The knee went unexpectedly and I wish now I had went on some of those harder hunts that I never went on. I would say go now if you can and that way no regrets later if something happens and you cant.

I'll be 60 in June. I still feel I'm in pretty good shape for the shape I'm in. I could lose 15 lbs, I could exercise more and I could go a lot further away and deeper in to hunt. Never do alone what you and a good hunting buddy can do together. Maybe I've gained a little wisdom, maybe the hills are just getting steeper, but 1. I've learned through the years that hunting slower is always better. You see more. 2. Taking time to look as you go is more enjoyable. 3. Hunting closer to home is usually always better. You get to "hunt" more and travel less. You get to hunt more often. Usually, when you're traveling long distances to get to that special spot, you are probably passing someone going to their special spot that is 40 minutes from your home. If I do go long, I go with a friend who owns horses. I'm past packing elk out on my back. 4. A tall wheeled deer cart is a very good thing to always have in your truck. 5. You know the area you are in from years of experience. There are always a few good trophies to be had almost anywhere. Drawing a special tag overrides this. 6.Camping is wonderful, but so is a hot shower, a good meal, and your own bed, especially in nasty weather. 6. I almost always hunt uphill, "above the roads. Just some little tidbits of info. that might help me wring out another 20 years of doing the thing I love to more than anything.

Hello Triple_BB,
My opinion? Do it now! For me, 50 was the point at which I really started feeling the "decline".
I'm 54 now!
Just returned from a CO archery elk hunt and we were hunting at 11250 elevation (I live in Phx), Whew! I sure felt the excess pounds, lack of regular exercise, and lack of oxygen.
Really trying not to make excuses here but I can honestly say I am kinda glad I didn't get a shot at the one bull I called in. I am not sure I could have packed him out of there quick enough to not lose some of the meat to spoiling.
Anyway, had a great trip with good friends, saw lots of beautiful country and even a few elk, , , , If I hunt that area again I will try to have horses available for the pack-out.
Yep, the years are starting to take their toll but I hope I can keep going for a few more. Now I just move a little slower and I try to find the easiest way up the mountain!
Come to think of it, , , I still see as much, if not more, game as I ever did.
Good luck to you in all your future hunts.

Elkchaser

I have a friend and one of my heroes who is 84 years old and still hunts alone and he doesn't do it from an ATV or truck. He's a hiker and usually gets a deer every time he has a tag. I take my hat off to all of you older hunters that are still out there getting the job done no matter what your age is. Keep doing what you love to do for as long as you can. If we are lucky we might croak on top of the mountain. In my case they can just leave me there and I'll be happy. By the way, I'm 47 and have no plans of taking it easy. I might have to slow down but I ain't quittin'! fatrooster.

I'm 67, and I can assure you that I'm not as good once as I ever was. I take everything slower now....one step at the time.

This year will be my 31st DIY hunt to Colorado/Wyoming. I don't need all of my fingers to count the times that I have been successful. My Son will go with me this year.

Are you going to change the name of this thread for me when I pass 70?

Before you die.....Take time to live

At 63, I don't even want to tell you everything that has been broken, torn, cut, crushed and replaced.

I was doing OK until about 55, then everything started hurting and holding me back. I still do WAY more than some guys younger than I, but it gets much harder each year.

The best advice.....stay fit. Keep walking and try not to put on any extra weight....it's hard to do the work it takes to lose it.

Don't quit and keep your hunting goals in sight, but you have to be cautious about getting into situations where you are in over your head, for your age.

Getting old pretty much sucks, but the alternative is WAY worse!

I'm 58 and still love to hunt and still hike to hunt our area.. never road hunt! Last year my son shot a big 6 point elk about 3 miles in and the two of us packed him out took a couple of trips... but i'm slower than I used to be when it comes to hiking.

I'm 56, was able to really get after it until about 5-6 years ago. I've always been a Big guy. In High school was 6'2-3" and about 220. I played middle backer in collage at 240-5. At 30-40 and near 300 lbs i could still run my 4 miles a day, do a good hard days work, then go cut, split, and deliver a cord of firewood in the evening to build up my hunting funds... and still have energy to burn. The realities of hard work, hard play, and being bigger than the average bear, have finally taken their toll.

I feel pretty lucky though that i've never had a surgery, bad back, blown knees, or had any broken bones other than some of the little ones in my hands. Though i must still put in a days work here and there, there are now some things i don't care to discuss going on that force me to take it easier. Some young guys can't or don't want to understand, they one day will! In the mean time, i'm still going to DIY hunt, maybe not the maniacal way i did all those years, but hunt i will!!

Joey

Not yet 54 BUT those hayburners I have sure work good.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

I say do the really tough hunts as soon as you can. Mostly for physical reasons but you also may find as you get older you lose some of the drive it takes to hunt for above average animals. It may not be quite so important in a few years as it is now. Im 58 and I feel I could still hunt hard if not for a hip injury that takes the fun out of long hikes and packing meat on my back. I used to crave the work of getting meat out of tough spots until 4 or 5 years but I now hunt within my limitations. Any younger guys reading these posts should take heed and realize you are not bulletproof. Old injuries will catch up to you in time.

I think it's hard to generalize at what age we start to slow down. There are a lot of factors involved. I know a couple 60+ guys who run around like they're 40.

As a general rule, you need to do all the tough hunts as young as you can, as long as you can juggle the finances and work and personal life.

Personally (age 62), I have a couple issues. I'm basically pretty healthy . A great blood pressure, low cholesterol, PSA normal. I do live with an old back injury. If I over do it I'm down for about two weeks. Once I feel better I tend to forget and ignore it. Then I over do it again and start all over. My wife gets so angry with me:) Most don't know it but I smoke about a half pack of cigarettes a day. Bad, bad I know. That holds me back for sure. I've quit several times but always end up going back.

Also, as you age your desire changes and also your drive (as a general rule, but certainly not always). I start thinking how cold it gets, how steep it is, how far it is, how long a drive it is, how much money it costs, etc. If you're young you don't believe that, but for the vast majority it's true.

So, in conclusion, I think every state should set aside nice easy units loaded with elk and deer for the 60 and over hunters.:)

Eel

T-BB,

I am 61, but I just got back from a 10 day backpack trip to the Northwest Territories. It was a trip I had dreamed of as a kid. I had to lose 40 lbs. and work my Ars off to get ready, but I did great, packing at least 50lbs. every day. It is amazing what you can do when you get older if the motivation is right and you have taken decent care of yourself. For me, I continue to enjoy hunting just as much today as I did when I was a kid. And even though I have had a knee replacement many years ago, I am still able to do almost anything I want.
I certainly can't always keep up with my 24 year old son, but having him around also keeps me alot younger.
You never know what will happen to your health and I wouldn't wait too long for those dream hunts. But if you put your mind to it, age will not slow you down for a long time. IMHO

Triple_BB,
This is an excellent post, I am 57 and I am preparing to go on a week long Muzzleloader hunt with one of my best friends, he just turned 70 in July. I believe this will be one of the most memorable hunts I will ever go on. I have been trying to keep my old friend young and I can't think of a better way to do this. I know that it is important to take a kid hunting but it's just as important to take and old friend hunting to help keep them young...

OMB

There's room for all of God's creatures, right next to the mashed potato's and gravy.

I'm 68, been hunting 54 years, lived at Ogden Bay during the duck hunt, quit counting the buck I've shot several years ago. I remember the day a hunter would shoot a big buck and the head and horns would go to the dump. My first year hunting deer was on the Pauns in 1958. Group hunting was done with a lot of hunters and long drives (for those youngsters - that's when you walk in a line usually through heavy pinion and juniper and take turns having sitters on the end). Now for me who has reasonably good health the game has to be close to the road, but I have a friend my age who can keep up with the best of the younger generation. Three years ago I drew the pauns for the third time, hunted nine of the ten day hunt, should have had the biggest buck I have ever shot. I just couldn't see sights at daylight. I had a young man with me who could see the deer well. So there you go!! Slower, hard of hearing from all of the gun shots over the years, night blindness and I missed the big one. I did shoot a 28" er on the last day thru being there every day and not sleeping in, passed up a couple that were bigger than the one I shot, even passed up one buck that a patron of a guide service shot.

I will be putting in for the management hunt from now on because of the time of year, concentration of deer, closer to the road. I can still do my fly fishing though!!

I will be 71 in November, still hunt on foot, no ATV but do have a horse to pack out - still have all the body parts and take no medication - I know that alot can be contributed to genetics but I have always exercised and don't smoke. If you take care of yourself you most likely will be around to hunt in the later years. In addition to big game hunting, I also guide upland bird hunters. I just read in today's paper that most young people are not interested in hunting - too many are sitting on their (.) watching video games and eating junk food, no wonder we have so many young fatso's - all you have to do is go to a WalMart and watch the overweight people park in the handicap spaces. Guess I got off the topic.

Wildsage

I am 58 and I just did an Alaska Dall Sheep Hunt. Hunted eight days and carried a 40 lb pack. Toward the end of this hunt I was questioning myself on whether I should be doing this or not.

I am in good health and I trained all summer for this hunt. Even with good health I still have old injuries (foot, shoulder and hip) that hurt but the biggest problem is stamina. Five years ago I would get stronger every day on a hunt but now I get weaker and more tired every day. I did pretty good for the first four or five days but went down hill after that.

As you get older it's more difficult to train also. I can't train hard every day, I need rest days in between.

I'll turn 60 during this hunting season. I've been very blessed in that all those years of athletics and the broken bones and torn ligaments really haven't "hurt" me on a permanent basis. If I train, which has become MANDATORY and use my llamas, I can still hike all over Idaho....I do it a little slower but I'm still able to do it.

AND would say....I know my years are numbered...take advantage of the time you have !!!

Within the shadows, go quietly.

I am in the club with most of you...I am 62 years old. Just finished my 25th hunting trip to Colorado and I was successful in killing a nice cow elk with my smoke pole rifle. I am not as spry as I used to be and if I do forget this fact then the Colorado mountains quickly remind me. My knees are sore and I cannot walk the trails like I used to. I try to hunt smarter instead of harder these days. Also, I now take the time to appreciate the wonderful scenery, the camping, the trip both to and back home from the hunt, and the friendship of fellow camp members. Not as good as I used to be but more thankful and appreciative these days. I enjoyed reading about my fellow members in the 'Getting Older Hunt Club.' Chuck Richey

I'm 63 now and still love the hunt but I hunt slower. I've almost always hunted by myself and have packed my kills out on my back. I must say it takes more trips today than it used to. My last elk(2 yrs ago) was an 8 trip pack out. I think that as you get older the enjoyment and passion are still there but you have to be aware of your limitations and include recovery time in your hunt. There are days I skip the morning hunt for the additional sleep and a lingering breakfast.

I have a 90 year old brother-in-law that still gets out there and does it. He doesn't hike as far, fast, or high but he manages to kill his buck almost every year.

I, also, agree that you should do the hard hunts as early as you can afford them.

I am 57 years old and sill hunt several western states. I guess the main thing that has changed over the last 30 years is how fast I can hike up the next hill. I have done some very challenging hunts in the last 5 years and will continue as long as the body holds out. I still get to where I need to be but am a lot slower now and a little sore the next morning.

58 here.
Just came off a 3 day goat hunt with my son who is 33. We are the same basic size and body type and can wear each others clothes. We are both in good shape for our ages. I thought I was doing OK until we had a tough day. He kicked my butt major.
There is no substitute for youth.
The first time I noticed I was not the man I used to be was around 40.

My motto comes from the Waterboy movie "you can do it! I am 56..I think, 57? oh he** I cant remember. This past winter
I took a serious look at myself and decided to get my fat azz in shape and guess what? It can be done. A new diet and execise plan took close to 50 lbs off of me. At 170 I am close to my college football weight. Just last week I put in a full day of chasin buglin bulls at 9-10 k feet. I walked ran and crawled around 15 miles and after a days rest I went back up and did it again. I will never again let my age or lack of conditioning get in the way of what i love to do. My hearing is suspect and I cant see as well as I once did but glasses and hearing aids are now on my equipment list. Hunt hard,Hunt High,[Elevation ]and hunt often.

I fall into this age group. I just turned 57 last Friday.

Luck has been with me as far as injuries are concerned. I didn't play sports in school at all. There was no room in it for me. I went hunting while my friends tore the poor little bodies apart and now they suffer!

I feel like I can do everything that I did in my youth albeit a little slower. I still run 4x per week between 3 and 7 miles (training for a half marathon).

I'm lucky too. I have 5 mature kids who all hunt! In the next 3 years I will be on hunts for me or with them as follows: Moose, Deer, Antelope, Mountain Goat, Desert bighorn, Dall sheep, Elk.

Plans to whine or slow down are not in the picture for me!

Good luck!

Zeke

LAST EDITED ON Sep-29-10 AT 00:11AM (MST)[p]I'm 39 but my Dad is 65 and we had a muzzy hunt in NV this year. I haven't posted any picture cuz I'm still disgusted about the whole thing (hunted 5 days and saw 2 bucks). Not taking anything away from my Dad but this was the first year since I was 12 that I really noticed he can't do what he could do even last year. We hunted hard this past month and his body really showed and felt it. Maybe I took for granted that he's been able to hunt as hard as we have the past 27 years. The weird thing is...is that this year I felt the best I ever have. I could hike forever it seemed and my legs rarely got tired to the point that I needed to stop and rest. My Dad on the other hand, had to stop and rest more than I had ever noticed before. I felt bad and tried my best to make it seem that I needed a break as much as he did. Age is a sh!tty thing when it catches up to you. This was our first NV deer tag and probably our last early hunt together due to the fact that he just can't do what it takes on that hunt. He will always be my hunting partner and I'll simply have to concede to what he can do. Looks like it's back to our comfy Region D WY deer and antelope hunts. It's all good though cuz it's time well spent with my Dad. I wouldn't trade that for anything.

Steve
T&A Inspector

>My wife gets so angry
>with me:) Most don't know
>it but I smoke about
>a half pack of cigarettes
>a day. Bad, bad I
>know. That holds me back
>for sure. I've quit several
>times but always end up
>going back.
>
>So, in conclusion, I think every
>state should set aside nice
>easy units loaded with elk
>and deer for the 60
>and over hunters.:)
>
>Eel

Same here Eel.. My wife gets on me all the time about smoking and she's right... but.. I don't have many vices left anymore but I will have to give that one up one of these days.

I do like your idea about having the states set aside some nice game rich units for the more "mature" hunters..

And next year he will be slower than this year. He'll get there, it just takes a bit longer.

It seems as though the slowness speeds up with each year. Sounds backwards doesn't it. I speak from experience.

Before you die.....Take time to live

I wish I could get my dad on here. He's 68 and still hunts hard. We hunted the general season muzzleloader hunt here in Utah this past weekend. It was a one and a half hour hike back into a wilderness area where we hunted. He hiked that 3 days in a row and didn't fall far behind the entire time. The kicker is that he's had double knee replacements and major back surgery where he had multiple verts fused together. He's quite the trooper and I'm proud of him!

Well fellows, I'll be turning 70 next month! I still find I'm able to do most things and keep up with others. Just finished splitting a cord of wood by hand. Do some back packing in the Sierra's each summer, fly fish often and generally stay busy. I'll be doing two out of state hunts this fall and haven't missed a year since '83, most of which were diy. I've never smoked but have a chew occasionally and quit drinking a few years back. I believe the key is staying busy, I'm as busy today as 10 years ago when I retired. I do have hearing aids and started wearing glasses so somethings are wearing out.
sourkraut

I'm 61 and have slowed down some but still get there. Actually, slowing down might be better as I killed a bull in his bed a couple years back. I'm gonna hunt 'til I can't. As for your dream hunts - go do it delayed gratification isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom