52-2 Antelope

S

slm2303

Where would be the best place to stay? I have to stay north of spring creek just curious where I should stay. A lot of antelope? Thanks for any info

Saratoga has Motels and Hot Springs along with restaurants for food.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

I meant lodging sorry. Is there a lot of private ground or can a guy find good goat on public? Thanks again

I thought that's what you meant, but just wanted to make sure before I answered. It does look like Saratoga is about the only place to stay, unless you camp out and I prefer that to be able to save driving time and money. I plugged unit 52 into my CD ROM and there ios plenty of BLM land north of Spring Creek where your type 2 tag is good for. Just get a good map and go have some fun, but be safe!!!

Thanks for the info. What would be the best time to go? My license says September 16th thru November. I can only take a couple days off work so what would be the best? This is my first antelope hunt sorry for all the questions. Thanks

I would go somewhere between the last weekend in September to about the first week of October. This way, you eliminate most guys who hunt the opener, but also hunt early enough to avoid severe weather. Towards November, you're gonna get some adverse weather and the goats will be hearded up.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-12-11 AT 08:00PM (MST)[p]Whoa there! You're headed in the wrong direction. The 52-2 license is good for the area that is SOUTH of "North Spring Creek". I've hunted it a couple times. Heading south out of Saratoga (Hwy 130), right after you cross over North Spring Creek (only about a mile or so south of town), there's a County Road 387 that heads off to the South & West. You can take 387, which borders private land, or better yet the dirt road that's about 0.7 miles farther down, which goes right down the middle of a good sized chunk of public BLM. That will take you to the top of what we would call a "Mesa" here in New Mexico. Next, hang a left (South) down the "powerline road". You are now in antelope country. Off to your East (from the powerline road) there are several small arroyos (they probably call them "draws"). If it's windy, the antelope will probably be in the draws. Be careful not to go too far east, you need to get a BLM map, or you will be back on private (down towards Hwy 130), but if I remember correctly, there's a barbed wire fence where it goes back to private. After you turn onto the powerline road, you can follow it about 4 or 5 miles south and the powerline turns back to the east. That's the area I've killed the bucks when I've hunted there. It's a very easy hunt, plenty of antelope, but I've never seen an antelope over about 14 inches while hunting. Actually, I've never seen anything much over 13, because the one's I've killed there were only a little over 13 and they were as big as I've seen there. Mostly you will see 12 to 13 inch bucks. I did see a monster (heavy 16 inch) at the meat cutter's place that came off the private along County Road 387. You can camp anywhere on the BLM. It is fun, but you can fill your tag in about 15 minutes. If you end up with a little extra time, kill some coyotes! There are plenty of them there also.
Good Luck,
Bob

Yep, I just looked in the finalized Hunting Regulations and Bob is correct about where that tag is good for. You better give him a big thank you, unless you just made a typo, and go where he mentioned. I just assumed the OP knew where the tag was good for when I responded with the information he was asking for.

Very little public land in that sub unit. Mostly private and leased so bring a map. Saratoga or encampment are good places to stay.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-15-11 AT 09:24AM (MST)[p]I had a 52-2 tag in 2009 and tagged a good goat with a bow. I have a 52-1 tag this year. We stay in Riverside at Cottonwood Cabins or Riverside Cabins. Both have websites if you do a web search. Reasonable and comfortable. Right in your hunting area. A lot of private ground, but you won't have trouble finding antelope.

Thanks for all the info and getting me lined out. Much appreciated and good luck to all.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom