5 weeks

marley

Very Active Member
In 5 weeks I will be hunting dall sheep in the Brooks Range. This anticipation is KILLING me. There's no chill pill that takes care of this problem.

It will take forever to get here, and be over before you know it.

Good luck!

Dall19.jpg

I don't know if this is helping or making it worse. I've packed my backpack 3 times and weighed it. I don't know why, I guess I am expecting it to change with time.

I know exactly how you feel. For me this Sheep hunt was by far my most memorable. The Country is amazing and you will never work harder for an animal in your life. Have fun and take tons of pictures.

RE: big full curl dreams!

LAST EDITED ON Jul-10-09 AT 07:55PM (MST)[p]Marley
Five weeks is a blink of the eye, compared to almost four months wait for my son's Desert Sheep hunt, but I still know how you feel trying to prepare. Right now we are shooting to pass the time and hone that skill. Who are you going with---what outfitter?
Obviously we all want to hear everything about it. Sheep talk on this forum has been way too quiet lately!

Marley, Another week down.
Here is another tease to what awaits you.
4a5b477c3df563b6.jpg

When was your hunt? Where was your hunt? That snow must make it tough to see those sheep.

Chugach Mountains, 2007. Those photos were taken on Sept. 14 and 15. We backpacked in on Sept. 2, so it was good to be heading home.

Well my friend and I both were hunting with the same guide. In 2 weeks of the hardest hunting I have ever experienced we saw over 100 sheep, 17 rams and unfortunately only one legal ram. My guide told us that he has never in 20 years had clients cover as much ground as we did. My friend and I had decided to take turns on whose day it was to be the first shooter and on the 2nd to last day of our hunt he got the first shot at 70 yards...missed, then another shot at 200 yards....missed, then we both shot at the same time at 525 yards....one bullet through the lungs and another bullet blew the front hoof off. No way to know who actually killed it but since it was his day, it was his ram.

It was a killer of a hunt and something I will remember for the rest of my life. I am not done with dall sheep, I have to go back someday and get my own. I used up my life savings for this hunt so it won't be for a long time I'm afraid. Everyone needs to experience a dall sheep hunt in their lifetime. It was absolutely amazing. Thanks for the interest.

FWIW, if he missed at 70 and 200, i doubt he hit it at 525!

got any pic's?

FWIW, if he missed at 70 and 200, i doubt he hit it at 525!
:) +1

Glad you had safe journey. I too would like to see some pics of the ram and countryside.

Marley,
It sounds like your lack of success was not due to a lack of effort and I applaud you for going into this hunt prepared. I understand the Sheep in Alaska are definitely on the decline and I hope they can turn that trend around soon.
Anyway thanks for sharing and good luck on going again! I am still trying to get on my first Dall hunt and yes money is my issue as well.
Please share some pictures and hopefully we can see some with you and what could easily be your ram.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom