5 Seconds

C

CHWine

That's how long a guy has to get a shot off on a big blacktail sometimes.

My brother and his son were riding in the back of my truck yesterday as we were hunting 'safari style' around our property. This method works quite well as we have mixed oaks and brush country. Often we see bucks way far off and can unload and put on a stalk. Sometimes you come around a corner and catch them crossing an open area. A fellow has to be ready for anything. If we have 2-3 guns in the back we have to know who the shooter is before the deer is seen. We've had experiences where nobody can decide who's shot it is.

So yesterday we weren't seeing a heckovalot and about 3:30 we come around a corner just to see a real dandy buck (I'd say 18" high x 18' wide, big mass) standing in the open at 70 yards. I didn't even need to put my binos on him, he's a no doubt shooter. In my mind I start counting. That's quite a bit of pressure for a 13 yr old. Luckily we didn't have more people in the back. Anyway, the young man needed 6 seconds and the buck ran off. I'm glad he didn't take a running shot and wound him.

He was kicking himself pretty hard the rest of the afternoon, but its all part of the learning process. That kind of thing happens to everyone if you hunt long enough. I've seen grown men not be able to chamber a round and get a shot off in the same situation before.

Next time, I think that buck won't stop and watch the truck either!

Venison and Zinfandel are GOOD!

Your story reminds me of an incident that happened some years back, but seems like yesterday.

I got an invite to hunt a private ranch from a friend. I showed up early, and after a nice breakfast he and his son and I loaded up in his old military jeep. He was going to take us up on top, drop us off, and pick us up at the bottom. As we were headed up, I looked over the bank and spotted a buck. His antlers were in some brush so I couldn't see how big he was, but clearly a big buck.

I tapped my friend on the shoulder and whispered to him I spotted a buck, so he stopped. His son jumped out and walked back to look. I was out loading my rifle and I told his son to go ahead if he got a shot. After all, I was a guest.

His son shot the buck and it ended up being one of the biggest bucks ever taken on the ranch. He never had it officially measured but I'm sure it would score in the all time B&C book. Probably 140.

I shot a nice buck that afternoon, and really appriciated the opportunity, but that buck will haunt me forever.

Eel

HaHa!! I remember a similar situation when I was 15 except I was able to do in 3 seconds. The reason I shaved 2 seconds off was by skipping the step of loading my gun. Most people don't know that the sound of a firing pin dry-firing is louder then an acutal shot.

lol dingo....I've heard that racket before and it is VERY loud.

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

I like the way you reference only having 5 seconds in which to get the deed done. Like most, i had my miss's as a kid and there were the successes as well. I soon learned to not mess around if i had a chance at a bigger buck.

Not always but a lot of the better Blacktail bucks i've taken were from reflex like actions where i saw the buck, all the given info was processed, and the appropriate shot immediately taken, certainly within your 5 seconds, long before i maybe had time to screw things up with too much thought.

The downside of this is there may be ground shrinkage on a buck but he also may turn out to be better than you thought as well. This style of hunting won't fly with the "wait until he turns broadside and never shoot at a moving deer" bunch. Then again, this is how i learned to hunt years ago and i must say it's worked well for me thru the years as well with the other animals i've hunted.

Joey

I agree with Sage that most of the time when you happen upon a nice buck driving, walking, or horseback you need to make things happen right now. The first buck I killed was bedded down and he jumped up and was running about 90 yards away. I remember catching up to him in my scope and swinging past his shoulder and pulling the trigger the same way I learned to shoot a shotgun. Had I not taken the shot he would have been gone as he was about to run in to a big quakie patch. I do not like shooting at running deer but sometimes that is the only option.

The largest buck I have ever taken was in South Dakota that I jumped from a creek bottom while I was walking.
He had no intentions of stopping as he was beat'n feet for a big cedar hillside shotgun instincs took over and it was shoot right than or not at all, he hit the dirt at 140 yards.

Bottom line.. You cannot wait as a rule.

I hadn't thought about the dry-fire incident for a long time until I read CHWine's post. Whenever us kids were hunting around others we were SAFE no matter what. No shells in the chamber. Open bolts or open breaches.If we had to glass with our scopes we always had the bolt open and turned the gun sideways. Dad would check us at random just to make sure we were ok. It scares me to see video with a guy in the lead and someone following with their rifle pointing at the leaders back or head.

We had fenders, trees, and felt hats long before bipods and all those other gizmos. My safety automatically goes off as the sling leaves my shoulder. No posing as I slowly slide off the safety or allowing time for the cameraman time to pick up the deer. No asking "Do you have him on the camera yet? Can I shoot?" (...this is after making the comment on how incredible a deers sense of smell and hearing are.)

To follow up...2 seconds after the dry-fire incident my little .270 barked and I was the happiest kid on the planet.

Thanks again for kickin up a little dust.

I've been talking to my brother the past couple of days and his son's ass is bloody with how much the kid has been kicking himself (you get the point).

We only hunt empty chambers when we're driving in a vehicle. If a fellow wants to chamber after we get out and start hunting, thats fine. We use dogs to push thickets and canyons and sometimes its like quail hunting.

The young man has been practicing chambering, aquiring his target and firing since the close call. Good stuff. He asked his dad if he thinks he'll ever see that buck again, and my brother said probably not. I told him he will: on the back of my tailgate with me holding those horns!

Well, based on where you're at you shouldn't have any problem finding a good therapist. Your neph should be just fine in 15-20 years....or until an even bigger buck shows up and he can get a tag on it. Until then it sounds like he is in good hands. I always look forward to seeing what you've been up to, great posts!

Hey Dingo, I tried to PM you but can't. Do I know you?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom