5 points for elk & deer question

rmanwill

Long Time Member
My twin boys were not old enough to purchase a point the first year of the new point system. This has them one point out of max and several points over just a general region tag.

I'm researching and looking for a good unit for elk and deer that they can draw in the next few years. Don't plan to hunt both elk and deer the same year. Would like two different years of good hunts for them. They love to hunt and I would love to take them on a good deer and elk hunt where they will have a good time and have a chance to bag a respectable animal.

They would be happy with a good 4X4 buck and a decent 4 or 5 year old bull. Don't believe they will ever get to draw one of the top ten units for either species, but don't want to just blow the points on a general region tag.

I have hunted Region H numerous times and seen some great bucks and would like to use their points and hopefully in a few years the deer wil come back and they could hunt Region H or G ever couple years for some respectable game and just have a great time in the great Wyoming back county.

I have researched and have looked at unit 125, 87, 89 & 141/162, which they may be able to draw in the next couple years. However, everything being stated about the bad winter of 2010-2011 really effects all of these areas, other then 125 and I seen several post that they draw that and stated it was disappointing.

Any information from a couple locals would be appreciated. Not looking for honey holes, just units that would produce a great, fun hunt for the boys. Any infomation, please PM. Thanks in advance and until they can draw something we will continue to hunt antelope in Wyoming every year or two. Between the two of them they have bagged five buck antelopes and last year both bagged a 74" & a 76" goat. I've hunted deer and antelope in Wyoming over 15 years. My twins have bagged a couple small bucks,antelope, turkeys, antlerless dows, cows and numerous small game. They love Wyoming and hunting. I also hunted elk in #100, have 11 moose points and my older boy has max elk points for the great state of Wyoming.

I/we have spent alot of time in Wyoming and don't want to sit on points for year. We would rather hunt a good unit with their current points and then plan to hunt Region H or G every other year. Hunting and coming home with tag soup mis better than not hunting and sitting on ppoints in no mans land.

Sorry for the long rant, but wanted to kind of let you know something about myself and my boys, rather than just ask for information. I have researched and have some good ideas, but have been on this site for years and know there is some guys that are willing to point a guy in the right direction.

Thanks!!!

LAST EDITED ON Feb-26-12 AT 05:51PM (MST)[p]I would be putting them in for one of the elk units in the BigHorns as there is a stable population of elk and it's a great area to hunt without worrying about wolves and grizzlies. As far as deer, I can't tell you where to go because I'm still trying to figure out where to use 4 or 5 PPs. I can tell you from hunting in unit 125 several years ago, knowing people that live out there and others who have hunted it, that's it's not the place to take your kids for what you're talking about. It's very arid, desolate land that has lots of territory that doesn't hold any deer and the areas that do are being overhunted and the buck quality is way down as a result.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom