5 lions in one day

HorseCreek

Very Active Member
I went for a day hike today. Long story short, I saw 5 mtn lions. Prolly should have been 6. The first was a single cub, I'm sure momma was close by but never saw her. Later in the day as I approached a wallow I have a camera on, a mature lion jumped up and ran off. Then just a few feet to the right there was a large female and two cubs.
For you lion guys...Is it normal for mature lions to be paired up? Especially if one has cubs?

Traditional >>>------->

LAST EDITED ON Jun-29-13 AT 05:24AM (MST)[p]No....it is extremely unlikely that a female lion would tolerate another mature lion near her kittens. Other than man, the primary predator of lions is other lions, and kittens are the most vulnerable. I'm sure every houndsman that has pursued lions for any length of time has come across remains where one lion has killed another, particularly in areas of high lion population densities.

Lion kittens stay with their mom for up to 2 years. By that time, the kittens can be almost as big if not bigger than their mom. The most likely scenario of what you seen was a female with 3 kittens with one of the kittens (likely a tom) approaching the mother in size.

Krist!

We'll Have people doing Arithmetic now just to see how many Deer are being eaten in the area!

You're very Lucky you're still alive HorseCreek!

Most Lions these Days look at TARDS as Competition for Dinner!:D

This Story happens alot it's True!
But Ya Best Hope it don't ever happen to you!

I'd guess that you only saw 4 lions but you saw one of the kits twice. I'd bet a juv is still hanging out with momma and her new kits.

This happened in your neck of the woods Bessy! She hung around at about 60-70 yards up in the trees for about 5 minutes while I checked my camera. Either a bear or an elk had spun the camera around pointing in the opposite direction. Only pics I had were of a couple small bulls.
I've only seen three other lions in my life before yesterday.
>
>Krist!
>
>We'll Have people doing Arithmetic now
>just to see how many
>Deer are being eaten in
>the area!
>
>You're very Lucky you're still alive
>HorseCreek!
>
>Most Lions these Days look at
>TARDS as Competition for Dinner!:D
>
>
>
>
>
>
>This Story happens alot it's True!
>
>But Ya Best Hope it don't
>ever happen to you!
>

Traditional >>>------->

>I'd guess that you only saw
>4 lions but you saw
>one of the kits twice.
>I'd bet a juv is
>still hanging out with momma
>and her new kits.

The first cat I saw was earlier in the day a few miles from where I saw the 4 together.

Traditional >>>------->

>>I'd guess that you only saw
>>4 lions but you saw
>>one of the kits twice.
>>I'd bet a juv is
>>still hanging out with momma
>>and her new kits.
>
>The first cat I saw was
>earlier in the day a
>few miles from where I
>saw the 4 together.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>Traditional >>>------->

You don't think a lion can travel a couple of miles in a few hours???
I see this all the time up here in the great white north. Guys say that we are overrun by lions because they saw 10 sets of tracks in one day. If they were to follow one of those '10 sets tracks' they would find it actually was 1 set of tracks. ;)

What are you doing Hangin your Camera on 'My' Tree?:D:D:D

I turned your Camera around!

I've never heard anybody Beachin about gettin their Camera Turned around!:D

Bcboy, I'm pretty certain they were different cats. The two cubs we very small, the first single cat was about the size of a big coyote.

Bessy, maybe it's just me but every time I check my cams they are turned a bit. Usually I have a pic of the bear of elk that does it. This time there wasn't anything.

Traditional >>>------->

Here's a few pics from the cam
5742sunp0010.jpg

9337sunp0012.jpg

8800sunp0014.jpg

Traditional >>>------->

Keep your Cams out of 'My' Wallows/Tree's!:D

Ya gotta look around Carved in the surrounding Tree's!:D

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom