5.9 or 6.7 Cummins???

mlycrzy

Very Active Member
A couple of friends have told me to stay away from the 6.7 as the 5.9 is a much better motor with better fuel milage. This probably works better for me as Im looking for a pick-up in the 04-07 range anyway. Anyone have any problems with the 6.7? Also, what are your thoughts on the automatic tranny? I would prefer the 6 speed but I've heard dodge puts out a good automatic now. Thanks!

"You only live once,but if you work it right, once is enough" -Joe E. Lewis

Amen dryboot

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB
jb.jpg

I own an 06. Supposed to be the last year you can run farm diesel in. The 07 has an EGR and the regen BS, I would only get one up to 06. I have an auto in the 3500 with 4.10's and I can still get 20 mpg if I take it easy. I hear the 07 5.9 gets about 14.
I only have 35k miles on mine, the trans has had a couple software updates, it would do some weird things with a heavy trailer uphill. Seems to be good now, though.

Those Chevys sure are pretty, but the Dodge has a solid front axle and a Cummins. I have a few friends with the Dmax, both have a good tow guy programmed in their cell phones.

IF ANYBODY CAN FIND ME A 03-EARLY 04 DODGE CUMMINS 4X4 2500-3500 SINGLE REAR WHEEL 6 SPEED STICK 3:73 OR 4:10 REAR RATIO & LOW MILEAGE 4 DOOR LET ME KNOW???

ANY OF THE NEW 3 BRANDS ARE THIRSTY SMOGGERS!!!

THE DURA-MAXI-PADS ARE QUICK AFTER YOU THROW THAT STOCK POS EXHAUST SYSTEM AWAY & ADD A PROGRAMMER!!!

BUT PUT 30,000 POUNDS BEHIND THEM & THE CUMMINS IS OUT FRONT & NOT MELTING DOWN GETTING TWICE THE MILEAGE!!!

THE 5.9 CUMMINS WILL PRODUCE WAY MORE THAN THE DRIVE TRAIN WILL HANDLE!!!

WHY DID WE NEED A 6.7???

MILEAGE SUCKS ON ALL 3 BRANDS THE LAST COUPLE YEARS!!!

IT'S AMAZING WITH THE FUEL SHORTAGE & ALL WE ARE MAKING TRUCKS THAT ONLY GET 1/2 THE MILEAGE THEY USED TO!!!

I'M JUST WONDERING HOW MANY MILES YOU GOTTA DRIVE A 50K TRUCK TO GET 50K WORTH OF GOOD OUT OF IT???

"I'M NOT COMPLAINING,I'M TELLING IT THE WAY IT IS,SOME OF YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT,THATS O.K.,SOMETIMES THE TRUTH HURTS & YOU HAVE TO ACCEPT IT,OR YOU FIND OUT WHAT THE FACTS ARE,STAND UP & VOICE YOUR OWN OPINION,THIS IS STILL AMERICA THE LAST TIME I CHECKED"!!!

493c3bb236d04499.jpg

REMEMBER!!!

THERE'S ONLY ONE bobcat!!!

I'D LIKE TO BE THERE THE DAY THEY SHOW UP TO TAKE CUPSY'S GUNS & TRUCK!!!

"I'M NOT COMPLAINING,I'M TELLING IT THE WAY IT IS,SOME OF YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT,THATS O.K.,SOMETIMES THE TRUTH HURTS & YOU HAVE TO ACCEPT IT,OR YOU FIND OUT WHAT THE FACTS ARE,STAND UP & VOICE YOUR OWN OPINION,THIS IS STILL AMERICA THE LAST TIME I CHECKED"!!!

493c3bb236d04499.jpg

REMEMBER!!!

go with the duramax bobcat doesnt know what he is talking about. he likes big things and apparently he likes big POS's, dont buy a dodge you will regret it.

NEVER ONCE DID I SAY I DIDN'T LIKE THEM!!!

LETS PUT THE BIG LOAD BEHIND THEM & SEE WHO DOES WHAT???

SURE THE DURA-MAX EMPTY IS A QUICK SOB!!!

NEVER HEARD ME SAY IT WASN'T A NICE TRUCK!!!

UNLIKE YOU I'VE EXPERIMENTED WITH THEM!!!

493c3bb236d04499.jpg

REMEMBER!!!

I've been selling auto parts for 15 years and the problem I see is that every time a manufacturer comes out with a new diesel, it takes 3-4 years to get all the bugs worked out of it. Right now I would go with the 5.9L then a few years down the road go with the 6.7L.

I have an 03 Dodge with 170K miles. I pull a trailer 3-4 days a week with my largest being around 16k fully loaded. The motor has been super dependable and is still running strong. I have the original auto tranny and no problems. I do have the tranny serviced every 30k though. I have had to replace some u-joints, ball joints etc. But I would expect that out of any truck that works as hard as mine. My only complaint is I have had some minor electrical issues such as one auto door lock stop working or one heated mirror stoped heating. Stuff I can live with and has not tainted my view. Lastly I work at 8300 feet elevation and spend many nights here. The temps in the winter regularly dip down to 0 to -29 and the truck always starts. Even when not plugged in. Can't say so much for the powerstrokes. They seem to really struggle in the cold. I have seen a ton of them not start on those cold nights. I have no experience with the chevs or fords so no input on their quality. With my current experiences, when my truck is ready to be replaced, I'll go with another dodge.

497388b5360fd5be.jpg

I'M KINDA PISSED AT THE DODGE TOO!!!

A COUPLE U-JOINTS ON THE REAR DRIVE SHAFT!!!

THE PISS POOR BRAKES ONLY WENT 180,00 MILES!!!

THE SOB WILL START WITHOUT BEING PLUGGED IN AT -38 (AND I'M SURE EVEN COLDER!!!)

WHEN FUEL PRICES GET UP TO 4.69 A GALLON I REALLY HATE IT!!!

WELL alp,THERES BEEN ALOT OF GUYS AROUND HERE THAT DID THE SAME THING,THEY WENT & GOT A NEW ONE BECAUSE THEY LIKED THE OLD ONE SO WELL,MOST OF THEM WISH THEY HAD THE OLD ONE BACK!!!

THERES A GUY AROUND HERE THAT HAS ONE OF THE OLD BATTLE-AX CUMMINS THAT HAS 970,000 ON THAT CUMMINS AND THE ENGINE HASN'T BEEN REBUILT YET!!!

I WANT A TRUCK LIKE THAT WITH kilo's 97,000 MILE TIRES!!!

SHOW ME A POWERJOKE WITH THAT MANY MILES ON IT THAT AIN'T HAD 8 NEW ENGINES PUT IN IT!!!

493c3bb236d04499.jpg

REMEMBER!!!

Bess who is getting 97,000 miles out of a pair of tires???? I am lucky to get 30k out of any I've tried. I end up replacing tires about every 9 months. I just thought diesels were a little harder on the rubber.

HEY alp!!!

YOU NEED TO CONTACT kilo!!!

HE'S AN MM MOD HERE!!!

HELL SAKES,HE RUNS EM 97,000 MILES & THEY STILL GOT 1/3 THE TREAD LEFT!!!

I'LL LET YOU BOYS HASH THIS ONE OUT!!!

493c3bb236d04499.jpg

REMEMBER!!!

HEY CUPSY???

I THOUGHT HE FILLED THEM WITH NOS???

493c3bb236d04499.jpg

REMEMBER!!!

Thanks for the responses! I think I will stick with the 5.9
I had a '97 12 valve that I would give anything to have back. Best truck I've ever owned.

"You only live once,but if you work it right, once is enough" -Joe E. Lewis

LAST EDITED ON Jan-19-09 AT 09:41AM (MST)[p]BUT can you get 97,000 miles on one set of tires?? Bessy doesn't think it is possible.

Brian
P.S. BESSY here is the PU and the tires that got 97K on them.
And this is in your home state too.
4974acf635a198b8.jpg

I have the 5.9 and 6.7. I love em both. The 5.9 will kick but on the mileage that the 6.7 has, but I use the 6.7 to pull my backhoe everywhere (weighing right at 35,000# Total) I love the jake on the 6.7 Will hold the whole rig back on most steep grades. The 5.9 won't do that. I work for the phone company and we have Dura-max's, Power Strokes, and Cummins....The dodges hold up way better and get better mileage when towing backhoes day in day out. The Allison just wasn't made for that kinda weight I don't think.

all diesels will vary on their milage. i have a 98 24v that averages about 18mph, the old man has a 04 max that only gets around 14mph, the granps drives a 03 max that gets 21mph. i have 5 buddies with cummins that range from 97 to 06. the two buddies with the 02 6 speeds get the best out of all them. mods are fairly cheap too. 4 of us have put in the bosch 300hp injectors. we all got them at the same time for around $200!! they all pull like powerhouses too. and the most important part....you cant beat the sound of a 5.9 up until 03. im on my second and will NEVER switch:)

WHERE THE HELL DID YOU GET INJECTORS FOR 200.00???

"you cant beat the sound of a 5.9 up until 03"

LMAO ON THAT ONE!!!

THEM 01'S & 02'S ARE NOISY SOB'S!!!

BUT THEY DO PULL LIKE NO OTHER WHEN IN TUNE!!!

493c3bb236d04499.jpg

REMEMBER!!!

a noisy cummins is the point. i love it. the injectors are a funny story. we ordered them from midwestern fuel injection about 2 yrs. ago. they were on sale at the time. the first two sets we put in my buddys truck and mine. we both started noticing that they had problems starting. like they were losing prime. having to crack injector lines every morning for a week got really old. so we pulled them and compared to the stock ones. totally different. got in touch with midwestern and after finally having to threaten them with the bbb, they overnighted us new sets and said to send the others back. the new ones WERE bosch. the older ones were not. they had no serial #'s or bosch stamps on them. put the new ones in and havent had a problem since. other than my turbo blowing up this summer. but the new hx35/40 hybrid did the trick:)

a 5.9 is a cummins...a 6.7 is an IMPOSTER!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom