47 years ago!

eelgrass

Long Time Member
I was in high school along with my sister who is a year older than me.

We lived out in the country and didn't have much exposure to music. About the only music my sister and I knew was church hymns and a few records that Mom and Dad had. Stuff like Bing Crosby or Glen Miller Band.(yawn!)

Then one night, it all changed.

We were gathered around the TV one Sunday night, as we usually did, watching the Ed Sullivan Show. That night the Beatles made their US debut.

My sister and I looked at each other in total amazement. Right then our whole music world began. Mom and Dad were horrified, of course.:)

About a month later Mom and Dad left to go somewhere and my sister came out of her room with a brand new Beatles Album, "Meet The Beatles". We turned the volume up and listened to it over and over until we saw the headlights of Mom and Dad comming home. From then on, every time they left, it was Beatles time! Without fail!

My sister and I formed a special bond over the Beatles that lives today.

Yesterday was my 63 birthday. My sister dropped by and to my complete surprise gave me the original "Meet The Beatles" album that she kept all these years! Here it is! Thanks sis, I'll treasure it.

6775meetbeatles-003.jpg

Here are a couple songs off of "Meet The Beatles". The group is gone but Paul McCartney is keeping them alive. Judging from the makeup and reaction of the crowd, I would say Beatlemania lives!

Go ahead and waste a few minutes out of your pathetic lives. You won't miss them :)

Eel

Wow! Thats a cool deal, Eel. Your sis must really love you. Very cool story....

Steve
Derkha derkha Muhammed jihad hakha sherpha sherpha abakhala- Gary of Team America World Police

And Happy Birthday....

Steve
Derkha derkha Muhammed jihad hakha sherpha sherpha abakhala- Gary of Team America World Police

Happy birthday you old fart! Sounds like you have a great Sis that loves you.

RELH

I believed your story right up until the point you said you're only 63. You have flannel shirts older than 63 so who are you kidding here?
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

Eel
WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM MY FRIENDS we all offer our belated birthday wishes on your big day YESTERDAY. I'd say something mushy but I'll LET IT BE. Just remember, on your birthday ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE. Speaking of which, that was very thoughtful of your sister and was glad you two could COME TOGETHER, but if you hear her say ?I WANNA HOLD YOUR HAND? then ?WE CAN WORK IT OUT?, I think you two may need a little HELP. Tell her ?HEY JUDE, GET BACK?, you need your space. Maybe you two could just take a drive out to the country, be DAY TRIPPERS and see STRAWBERRY FIELDS FOREVER. After a long day you can buy her a TICKET TO RIDE on a YELLOW SUBMARINE and go BACK TO THE USSR.

Anyway, HERE COMES THE SUN, gotta get back to work.

Happy Birthday Eel.. Cool gift that your sister gave. I guess I am dating myself but I had the same album and some other Beatles albums as well. Time sure goes quick..

LAST EDITED ON Oct-14-11 AT 08:06AM (MST)[p]Very cool story eel, even if you did lie about your age! :)

HAPPY LATE B-DAY!!! :):):):)

Happy Birthday Eel!! Kilos story is real similar, however his has to do with electricity and Ben Franklin instead of the Beatles. His past Birthday the Smithsonian (not his sister) gave him the kite and key that him and Ben were flying that great day!! :)

Nice story and, happy birthday.

Compromise, hell! ... If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?

Isn't it nice to be loved! You must have your AARP card by now so the other SS card, Part A and B is only a few years off unless you can not wait that long....LOL

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

Happy Late Birthday Eel :)

Sounds like you have a great sister. Worst part for me is that I also watched that Beatles debut on the Sullivan show and can relate...thought my parents were the only ones that were old and reacted to the "style and music" like it was the devil :)

))))------->

Eel! Great memory to share! Sometimes these simple posts we share with one another can bring back a flood of memories! I, too remember my kid sister having that album, also playing it on the 'ol RCA console set in the front room whenever the parents were at work or away. I also watched their debut on the Ed Sullivan Show on the old b/w TV. After that it was a little more diverse music instead of old honky-tonk, county & western, folk music, or WWII music hits (and the like you mentioned) my folks always seemed to have on!

I remember seeing ELVIS on Ed Sullivan's show back in the mid 50's while visiting family friend's in Woodlake where Paul Crawford lives now.....and NO, it was not Pauls family and Paul himself wowuld have been in diapers too back then and sucking on a milk bottle getting ready for the more serious stuff years later...LOL

Brian

Thanks for all the nice well wishes! I'm glad there are a few here who saw the Ed Sullivan show too.

Feleno, SOMETHING about your response made me smile. I'm still worried about you though. If you leave your wife at the gas station again YOU'RE GONNA LOSE THAT GIRL.

WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM MY FRIENDS, this is a pretty nice place to hang out. I'll check back in WHEN I'M SIXTY FOUR.

Eel

I think we all need to cut Feleno a little slack. His wife is POLYTHENE PAM. She's so good looking but she look's like a man. However she still gives F'dude NORWEGIAN WOOD.

Slick

"The Road goes on forever & the Party never Ends"

Eel, 47 years go I was just about 10 months old and I can still remember hiding out in the garage listening to the Beatles.. Man that was YESTERDAY.
Could have been the reason of MEAN MSTR MUSTARD, IN THE OCTOPUSS'S GARDEN.. Have you been down PENNY LANE's shorts lately? Happy birthday brother!!!

Happy Birthday Eel. I remember watching Ed Sullivan that night and my sister went out and bought the record. I think the record is out in my garage in a box full of old albums.

Happy Belated Birthday Eel... Very cool gift from your sis..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Happy Birthday Eel....geeze I remember watching the show too...my Mom and Dad weren't impressed neither..I was a tad younger..but my first album was Steppenwolf..still got it too..

Steve,

Now how could I have forgotten to say Happy Birthday but I do hope that it was a good b/d and that Album is a lot better than socks or a tie. HAPPY BIRTHDAY BUDDY.

Brian

Eel....happy belated birthday. Don't know if I want to advertise that the 12th was also my 6*****th birthday. LOL.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

Happy Birthday Eel!

.............There are sure a lot of old guys on here!

We didn't have TV yet, but I saw it on the news at school a few days later.

"If God did not intend for man to hunt animals, he would have made broccoli more fun to shoot"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom