4 days on the Green River

D

Dboyz

Just got back from a 4 day trip. Camped around Brown's Park. Fishing was good, but got skunked on the coyotes. Shed hunting was slow, most deer were still packing. Found a few old ones. Got snowed on the last day. Nothing beats a woodstove in a hunting trailer.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-10-13 AT 08:20PM (MST)[p]>Sounds like a good time. What
>kind of fish?
>
>Eel

Rainbows and Browns, Eel. It's the Green. Best trout waters not directly connected to an ocean in the west!

Glad you had a good time - did you go see Josie's cabin? (NOT what you are thinking JB!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josie_Bassett_Morris_Ranch_Complex

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/

Don't know what He caught?

But I have pulled the Following out of the Green River!

Browns!

Rainbows!

Cutthroat!

Mackinaw!

Northern Pike!

CatFish!

CARP!

Then the Protected Trash:

PinHeads!

HumpBacks!

RazorBacks!

And GAWD Don't ever Forget the SquawFish!

Several years back me & several Friends had several Set-Lines set out!

Next Morning we were Giving Mouth to Mouth Recessitation to 90% of the Fish We had Hooked because they were on the Endangered/Protected List!

Spent some Cold Damn Days on the Green!

The Dew I had for Breakfast wasn't Bad so I had one more for Dessert!:D

Roy said, " It's the Green. Best trout waters not directly connected to an ocean in the west!"

LOL, says you and maybe some locals! I know several guys that fish all of the Western states as a lifestyle, most all of the good water to be fished. Sure, the Green is good but your statement is exaggerating. I've fished the Green a dozen times myself thru the years and can think of countless places i'd rather spend a few days on the water with flyrod in hand. It's good but "Best"? Don't think so!!

Congrats to the OP! Do you have some pic's that you can share with us?

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Joey - Yes I am a local. So, yes, I am biased. It is my home waters so when I say best, it carries a lot of memories and I could care less if I could catch more or bigger fish anywhere else. And if you go there with a flyrod, you are going there to fish, not to catch fish. If you want to catch fish, use Rapalas and plastic worms - and I don't care if I just pissed off a dozen douchebag river guides and fishing purists with that statement.

Here is a little piece about the Green that I wrote a couple of years back that was published in a little local Uintah Basin magazine TripleK and I used to write for occasionaly. Maybe it will help you to see why I call it "the best".

http://theedgemagazine.blogspot.com/2010/06/friday-nights-in-small-town-green-river.html

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

>Several years back me & several
>Friends had several Set-Lines set
>out!
>

Set-lines? What is that? Is that like a Trotline? Is that legal?

Before the start of my sophomore year in college I decided to do a little fishing. At the time I lived in Southern California and I was going to school at the University of Utah (athletic scholarship ). I decided to fly fish all the famous western rivers. I had just spent the summer working in Oregon and had about 7 weeks and a little spending money saved. Well I actually had my first credit card.

I didn't give it much thought, I just went...

I fished my way through California, Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming and Utah. I will be the first to admit that I was new to fly fishing at the time. I had just started the year before. I also didn't have the best knowledge of each of the rivers. I have come to realize that history on a river can make or break a given river. It was a great trip and I saw some beautiful water. Each and every river had different things to offer.

For me, the green river was hands down the easiest river to fish. I know there are bigger fish in a lot of the other rivers but the Green is home to me. It is where I first learned to fly fish and the float from the dam to little hole is amazing. I preferred the rive when the A section road wasn't paved. Less people back then. We use to camp by the airport in the spring. If you can catch a cicada hatch just right it can be a 100 fish day. I go out of my way to try and help people on the green. Nobody should fish that river and get skunked! I have probably given away 50 flies on that river in the spring to try and help wayward fly fishers.

I now try and plan a fishing trip every spring to go to the green. The thought of a
BWO hatch on Coney Island helps me get through winter. I have recently had a few medical issues that I am dealing with and the trip this year will be my personal reward for making through the hard times.

>>Several years back me & several
>>Friends had several Set-Lines set
>>out!
>>
>
>Set-lines? What is that? Is that
>like a Trotline? Is that
>legal?

It is different from a trout-line that's for sure!

HOOK 'EM!

Ok Roy, i'll buy in being you're a local. I have some pretty good water, in fact i own a large riverfront, on the Feather River here local that has Tons of great memories for me and there have been times when my limit of 5 browns were all over 5 pounds each fish! The best? I may have thought so at the time so i know how it is.

Seriously though, "plastic worms"? Really? You might know that i collect tackle. I have lots of 50-80 year old lures still in their original boxes, a nice collection of trout sized brown Fenwick glass rods, bamboo, lots of stuff like that, but also must have about 3 copies of every small to med. sized rapala or rebel ever made. I literally have hundreds of them. i do fish them too...but i don't have one single plastic worm. :) Plastic worms for trout? Have i been missing out? :)

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

LAST EDITED ON Mar-11-13 AT 12:03PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Mar-11-13 AT 11:05?AM (MST)

Yep! I started fishing that river when I was about 8 years old, before it was a "premium water" and the current restrictions of "1 fish over 20 inches and 2 under 8 inches (but greater than 4") and artificial flies and lures only" went into effect. I learned how to fish with a bubble filled about 3/4 with water, a 4 foot leader, a #4 Eagle Claw bait hook and night crawlers. Well, a few years later, the live night crawlers were illegal, but not artificial ones and the fish still liked them (still do today!). Fished it the same way except that if it had a flat tail, we snipped it off. That way, dad could let us fish and he could fish too. Worked great and sometimes, much to our delight, it pissed the self-pretentious-Cabela's fishing jacket-neoprene waders-polarized lenses-wide brimmed canvas fishing hat wearing -richy Rich-float clients and their guides off to no end to see a couple of kids in ball caps, old tennis-shoes, t-shirs and cut-off jeans catching twice as many fish as their clients!

Seriously though - read that article I linked. You will know why.

HOOK 'EM!

Got to agree with Roy that is a fine river and a great read.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Roy, I rarely go out to catch fish. I sometimes keep the fish i catch but am just as likely to let them go. My freezer only has so much room, i fish a lot, and i only like a good trout feed on occasion. I do though like to catch them if that is in the cards and sometimes the fly rod produces better than the spinning gear.

Seems that you have some resentment to those that have nicer stuff and travel in search of different waters. Not sure there why that is but i used to regularly beat the guys in the fancy shooting vests at trap at our local gun club bacon shoots as a kid... so maybe we do have a connection there as it felt pretty darn good to do so.

I looked thru several reference i have on the better trout waters in this country and though not listed anywhere as being the best waters, the Green was listed at least in a couple respected publications as being in the top 10. Sadly, that was not my findings but i was the guy stopping here or there, a side trip, sometimes between seasons, during a month or so of buck hunting several states.

Lastly, maybe it was your term "plastic worm" that got me. If you had said rubber worms, maybe i would not have had the knee jerk reaction to what i visualized in the way of what a fake hard plastic worm might look like to a feeding trout.

Home waters are special. Everyone should have some. I won't hold it over a guy who claims that his is the best, won't do it.

Joey

Assassin "And GAWD Don't ever Forget the Squawfish!"
Be glad you live in Utah, in Colorado we have to call
them "Pike Minnows" if you call them Squaw fish you get labeled as insensitive and they take your magazines away.

>>Several years back me & several
>>Friends had several Set-Lines set
>>out!
>>
>
>Set-lines? What is that? Is that
>like a Trotline? Is that
>legal?

WELL!

JUDAS!

F'N!

PRIEST!

If I had mentioned TROTLINE!

You'd of said:

Is that like a Set Line?

Ain't Nothin Legal in TARDville!

The Dew I had for Breakfast wasn't Bad so I had one more for Dessert!:D

LAST EDITED ON Mar-13-13 AT 09:22AM (MST)[p]UGAHunter - no, I don't think it made the trip to Neola. By that time, the extra space in the freezer began to be occupied by my brother's hunting conquests. Then, she had to throw those things out too to make room for cookies for the grandkids!

Joey - no animosity towards those who spend money on fishing gear, just to those who look down on and are rude to kids who can't afford that stuff but fish anyway. Got more than my share of rude comments, looks, and behaviors from that crowd. Mainly it was just the guides and their clients. The other independent guys were always nice though. No matter what, it was just a lot of fun.

HOOK 'EM!

I used to fish the Green enough every year to warrant buying a nonres annual fishing license.Fantastic fishery back in the day.I remember one day when a buddy and I caught 83 browns between the 2 of us-all of them 18"-19"ers.I thought my right forearm was going to give out on me from fighting all those fish!!It was beginning to cramp up and ached for another day!LOL!Those browns were all a spitting image of each other.

Many days of 20+ trout down there,with a few exceeding that 20" mark-and those rainbows were built like footballs.It wasn't uncommon for a 20"er to go 4 lbs.We always fished it during the winter months,when crowds were small.All good things it seems soon come to an end,and soon enough the river began to get more crowded;the fish smaller.Eventually the crowds won out and I quit going.I probably haven't been there in over 10 years.

My favorite lure was a 1/4 oz Tiny Tot maribou jig bounced along the bottom.It took a special technique,and would only work in certain holes where the depth and current were just right.Best in the west?I don't know,but you'd have been hard pressed to find a better fishery 15-20 yrs ago.

The upper Green in Wy ain't too bad,either!

Thanks for bringing back those memories!

A pic from last years GR trip! I love spending time tossing the old fly rod around...

9279gr.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom