338 Lapua Question

sniper14

I just got a 338 Lapua. I was going to use H1000 powder to reload with. I was just wondering how many grains to start with. I'm new to long range shooting, so I was just looking for some ideas of where to start.

From the sounds of your post, you need to do a bunch of learning before you start to handload that thing. After deciding on a bullet, get the manufacturer's manual or search their website for load data for powders that are compatible. Read it all, then read it again. You're a long way from long range. mtmuley

Talk to REDDOG here at MM!

Do you have a Powder Tamper?

With REDDOGS Reloads You'll need a Powder Tamper!

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

LAST EDITED ON Feb-17-14 AT 07:56PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Feb-17-14 AT 07:25?PM (MST)

Ya it does kinda sound like you're a newbie despite your name but I'll give you what I have. I have a wide assortment of .338s including a few Lapuas. I use to shoot 300gr Sierra MKs in my Lapuas and switched to 300 Berger OTMT because of the better BC. In all of my .338 Lapuas with both style 300 gr bullets I started at 87grs of H1000 (.025 off the lands) and worked up to and settled on 91 grs with all of them. They all liked that load. I get between 2760 and 2825 fps with this load depending on whether I'm using Nosler or Lapua brass.
You might want to try Retumbo too. RL19 gave me tighter ESs but I shot better groups with H1000 for some reason. RL19 is also a "yer mom" powder...pretty dirty.

Ask if you have any more questions. I have a pile of data for various .338s and have been a longrange shooter/hunter for years.

For long distance dial 1-800-338-EDGE

I like 300 gr Berger OTM with h1000 an lapua brass. Check out the Len Backus long range hunter web site. Gobs an gobs of info on lapua's.
There was a great thread a few months back done with h1000,RL33 an retumbo. Was a pretty extensive test. My guess is you'll find someone with your exact setup an get you pointed in the right direction in a hurry. Bunch of great guys. Gobs of experience an willing to share all the knowledge. Check it out you won't be disappointed.

8376scott_smith_az_002.jpg

This bull was killed in AZ late season rifle hunt Dec.4, 2014 unit 27 using a fully custom 338 Lapua Improved w/Surgeon action, Jewell trigger, McMillan AS stock, 32 inch barrel shooting 300 gr. bullets and topped with a Nightforce 8x31x56 scope. Scott said he had it loaded such that the bullet was traveling 2960 fps. I have a call into him to see what kind of powder and how much. The rifle weighs 19.5 lbs. and we had a pack mule especially to pack the rifle and our optics.

The shot was across a huge canyon and the bull was bedded on a steep hill side at 875 yds. We had a strong cross wind gusting to 15 mph and the meter read an average of 5-6 mph. Scott dialed in the yardage and the windage and the bull was hit perfectly. The bull tried to get up on his front feet and I had Scott send another one across the deep canyon and that one put him to sleep.

The first shot hit him perfectly and the second shot broke his back. The bull would gross score 363 if you add back the broken left G4.

Scott owns Ammo & Optics LLC in Little Rock, AR

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom