300WBY HSN 168grn Berger ammo question?

J

JB148

I am shooting a Mark 5 300 WbyMag with a 26" barrel. Has anyone out there had any experience with this ammo. Just curious headed to the range later in the week. Any accuracy issues and success on animals. I am planning to use it on mule deer. JB

I've never tried that particular round through my .300wby Mark V, but everything I have shot with HSN has been junk and does a Weatherby no justice for what it's designed to do.
Why run cheap ammo through such an expensive rifle?
Would you put cheap tires on your Lamborghini?
Just sayin........ ;-)

You need expensive ammo in a Weatherby? Are we talking HSN or HSM? At 60 bucks a box, HSM loaded with the Berger isn't really cheap. It may shoot really well for you. Personally, I don't think Weatherbys do anything great for the amount of money involved. mtmuley

Thanks for the input, I was afraid of that. I heard they did not group well. My wife was trying to do good and bought me a box. JB

i have nothing but good to say about weatherby rifles. i have a buddy that is shooting a .300 weatherby with a Barnes bullet and getting 1 inch groupings consistently at 100-200 yards. good enough for me for a hunting rifle. i know they have a lot of "free bore" so seating the bullet out to the lands is out of the question. which means you will have to find a bullet that likes to "jump" into the lands.

my next gun is going to be a mark V accumark. best rifle ever invented in my opinion.

"Shoot Straight"

I'll throw in my 2 cents;
If you're going to shoot Berger bullets make sure you back out to around 500 yards so the velocity is low enough that the bullet doesn't blow to pieces. It's like shooting a deer with a 20 ga shotgun loaded with #9 shot. It might work but why gamble when there are bullets designed to work already?
Somehow fragile bullets are back in style.

I shoot them but NOT FOR BIG GAME. I know, I know they make a "hunting" bullet. Really?
Zeke

I shoot 180 grain Barnes TSX through my 300 wby mag. I have shot elk over 600 yards, deer over 500. The bullets always hold together and drop what ever I have been shooting at. On the opposite end, I shot a bull elk at 15 yards this year. He went about 20 yards. The bullet made a fist size hole in his ribs but never even left the hide on the opposite side. Only downside is they are 100 bucks a box. I will never hunt with a different bullet for that rifle.

I shot an antelope at 140 yards with a 180 gr berger at 3100fps destroyed the vitals and left a 3" exit hole.

HSM has never shot well for me. But load your own and find the sweet spot and they will shoot great. I've shot deer and elk from 50 yards to nine hundred. No need to back up to 500 unless you want a challenging shot.

>I shot an antelope at 140
>yards with a 180 gr
>berger at 3100fps destroyed the
>vitals and left a 3"
>exit hole.

I shot 3 last year, same bullet and results. I'll shoot 4 this coming weekend and the results will also be the same.
I wasn't impressed with hsm ammo when I tried it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom