300 weatherby mag

I have a 300 weatherby mark v that I am selling...It is a beautiful rifle with a 3x9 Leupold..Send me a private email on MM for more info....

I have 2 of them. My best buddy (Dennis) also has one. Like any rifle, they shoot well, or poorly, depending on the ammunition; and mostly on the marksman.

Dennis and I both shoot quite well. I practice a great deal and am able to come up with 6" inch groups over and over; at 400 yards in whatever breeze is blowing. On a calm day, using the bench rest, it does better. But on the side of the mountain, there are no calm days and there is never a bench rest.

The rifle I bought first (an original Fibermark) has a VERY narrow-contour barrel. The rifle is about 14 years old. They no longer make that contour. It shoots EXTREMELY well, as long as I shoot 180 grain bullets at 3,150 fps. It is NOT flexible. It won't group with 165s or 150s and it won't group with 180s loaded to a higher speed.

However, Dennis' rifle has a heavier contour barrel and my 2nd one (an accumark) also has a heavier contour barrel. They are both much more flexible, meaning they group with a wider selection of bullets. I assume the heavier barrel is the reason. An excellent load is 87.6 grains of RL22 powder, with 168 grain bullets. With a 26" barrel, you should be getting about 3,470 fps. It groups well in our guns that have the heavier (average) barrels.

Both Dennis and I live in southern Idaho and we both hunt a LOT. I actually kill deer and elk yearly and Dennis usually shoots 2 elk per year. I shoot coyotes and rock chucks with it, too. (It's overkill, but O'Connor said something about the man who uses only one gun, knowing how to use it. It seemed like good advice.) The point was...things fall down when they are hit. Big mule deer bucks die. Elk die and black bears die (of course chucks, rabbits & coyotes die.) Some of those animals have been out to 600 yards. One 5-point bull led us on a 1/2 chase (although hit well), but everything else has gone down quickly.

I admit to a predjudice, but I think .300 Weatherbys are the greatest. Unless you're going to spend some BIG bucks for something custom and exotic, Jermiah Johnson said it well. "You can't go no better". He was talking about a Hawken rifle, but he would have said Weatherby, if he were still here.

Besides, they have the strongest action on the market. We've pushed to evelope a little on a couple of recipes! They are excellent weapons. When you get used to the noise, you'll love it.

Grant Bodily

Why do you want a 300 weatherby mag. here is the good ole us. of A I personaly don't think you need anything any thing bigger than an a 30-06 just my opion I'am not out ther to there to tear them in half of to just to get the cross hairs on em and take my trophy. Have a little faith in what you shoot'and shot placement.

all of the 300's are a good choice but I personally shoot a 300 ultra mag which I absolutly love. if you want something more than a normal 300 win mag i think the ultra-mags are worth looking at.

I personally shoot a 300 win mag , model 70 . Been shooting it for about fifteen years . At the range , I can get shot groups less than 3 inches at 300 yards . Just bought a M-77 , 300 mag . Like it too . Haven't fired over a hundred rounds out of it , and a 6 inch group at 300 yards . I definetely need more time with this gun , and it isn't even broken in yet . Also have a Model 70 338 Mag , this one , I will be shooting a lot this year . I want to become very proficient with the 338 . Why ? No reason , just want to . The point is whatever caliber or make and model , to become a very good shot , you must shoot , shoot , shoot ,shoot . I have just started to reload and will be trying some different loads , every gun will hit differently with the different loads . You must experiment a little , find the right load and then shoot a few hundred rounds to become familiar and compitent with the gun you are shooting . Once you get to this point the secret is to continually shoot that weapon .
After spending the last year in the desert(KUWAIT) , I am probably not a very good shot anymore . When I return home I will spend a lot of weekends at the range and out in the woods .
KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY
BUTTSHOT

i have a 300 wby mag mark V deluxe and i cant put it down to pick up another rifle. this year i shot 3 deer each went down with 1 shot. i have never had a problem with it at all. i love weatherby's. You definitly get what you pay for it. I would if i was you look at the accumarks. i worked at a big sporting goods store, one of the biggest here in eastern washington. and we have a very good line of weatherby's so i have heard all the stories and seen all the evidence.

Garrett

I agree with always looking. Get yourself an Ultra Mag in a Remington rifle. Remingtons shoot as well or usually better than Weatherbys. With the money you save by not buying the name, you could possibly upgrade on your optics. Every rifle shoots better with good glass. Ammo is also usually better priced. mtmuley

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom