300 wby mag

pwrlineman

LAST EDITED ON Dec-26-10 AT 10:56AM (MST)[p]Is anyone here good at appraising a 300 wby mag left hand. I have not seen it yet since the seller is out of town. However, he says it is japanese made with a fluted barrel and a muzzle brake. supposedly the wood is perfect with a small spot on the barrel were the blueing is worn. would the serial numbe help? I don't have it yet but could get it. By the way, does the muzzle brake help with the recoil that much? Thanks.

the asking price is 750.00

Helps with recoil but the increase of muzzle blast negates any recoil reduction. I have my second 300 weatherby mag and would not muzzle break mine. Just my opinion.

I wouldnt muzzle break it either unless you like to sit at the range and shoot boxes of shells.

4a7d1f93337c7fd7.jpg

The harder you work the luckier you get!!

I love my WBY 300 mag, Japanese made, it is breaked and kicks like a pellet gun, except you will need your ear drums replaced. Sounds like a good deal. JB

I have a 338 Win Weatherby Mark V, made in Japan. After shooting it for a few years, I had a gunsmith put a muzzle break on it. I like it a lot better now and would not go back to not having the break. Yes, it is louder, but it is well worth the reduced recoil in my opinion. But to each their own.

I also have a Weatherby 300 Mag built by JP Sauer in Germany back in the late 60's....ordered it in 1968 and got it in 1969 almost a year to receive it back then as it was a Custon Grade with Inlays in the forearm and pistol grip. Super Grade fancy Walnut stock with Oakleaf Carvings in the forearm etc.
Price back them w/a Weatherby Scope 2x7 too came to $800.00
Never get one like that now at that cost made to order.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

Brian;

My oldest son has his grandfather's 7mm & 300 Weatherbys that was also made by Saur in Germany. They also have custom stocks and both will shoot 3/4 inch or less using H4831 powder and Nosler Partition bullets.

I feel that the German made ones were the best for a very slick action and accurate barrels.

I would hate to see what they would cost today.

RELH

My brother has a 300 WB (Japanese) that he bought new in 1971 in Idaho. It was always painful to shoot and after I put a brake on my rifle, he put one on his. Best thing he ever did. With that 26" barrel and the brake, its a long sucker and won't fit in all saddle scabbards(sp). I worked up a load with a ton of H4831 (can't remember the load) and 180 ballistic tips and the thing was lethal. He now shoots Weatherby factories. I almost bought a Colt Sauer in 300 WB about 15 years ago, but liked my 7mag. I think the 300 ultra shoots about the same.

Venison and Zinfandel are GOOD!

What I've found out with the muzzle brake is that it cuts down on the barrel jump.....you still get a kick but the barrel doesn't seem to jump as much and you can get back on your target through your scope alot quicker.

If you were shooting a semi-auto, that feature would allow you a faster second shot. If you are shooting a bolt action or pump action, by the time you rack in another shell, you should be back on target after that. No real advantage for a bolt or pump on getting back on target for a second shot.

Advantage would be only for recoil reduction.

RELH

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom