30% fawn depredation in SE Idaho from coyotes?

T

thirtythirty

I read an article in the Idaho State Journal(based in Pocatello,Id) a couple of weeks ago about the crappy deer hunting in SE Idaho. One of the points that the journalist (Dave Langston) brought up was that he thought the coyotes were taking around 30% of the yearly fawn crop locally. He got his info from some guy that apparently, is credible. Is this true and what are your opinions on this for all of you guys that hunt this area (or used to)? I am not sure what to think but I do know my experience this year was bad as it has ever been. Up until the winter kill in the early 90's, I can remember passing around a half dozen four- pointers daily(give or take a few). I am now lucky to see this many in a season. Is there any bounty on coyotes in Idaho?

30-30

There is no coyote bounty here in Idaho. The population is clearly down, and I personally attribute it to coyotes and wolves. Of course, its not politically correct to blame the carnivores, but if you go out near the wintering areas with snow on the ground, the predator tracks far outnumber the deer tracks.

if it is truely predators making a big dent in the populations, they should try to promote more predator hunting. not sure of the laws but have a bounty on yotes in that area. i think that would help get more guys involved. with fuel prices, it might help put a little bit back into their pockets.

Travis
www.RidgelineOutdoors.com
Blacks-Creek Packs Dealer

I live here (SE Idaho). I've got enough time and experience as a hunter, having grown up on a farm and been the banker for enough rancher owners to have some insight.

Yes. Coyotes and lions (not so much wolves HERE yet) have decimated/are decimating mule deer herds. There is very little question about that.....may not be PC but is accurate.

Within the shadows, go quietly.

I encourage you to hike the wintering areas (like the Soda Hills) in March, April and May. Lots of dead fawns and many of them (over 50%) have not been fed on. The fawns just were not able to make it through the winter.

I'd suggest the buck/doe ratio (6:100) is to low to get all the does bred during their first cycle. They eventually get bred in the second cycle (a month late). Those does then throw their fawns a month later in the spring and those fawns are a month behind going into winter. Small fawns + decent winter = dead fawns. Last winter we lost over 70% of our fawn crop.

Let's make every unit a controlled hunt and get our buck to doe ratio back in line. The our deer herd should start to recover.

BCPronghorn

P.S. - I love killing coyotes, cats and bears (the h@ll with PC) and it may be part of the solution - but only a small part.

Orion23 commented that idaho should promote predator hunting. Did you know that even though coyotes are not considered to be a protected animal in idaho, you still have to purchase a hunting liscense to hunt them on public land. The only way around it is if you are hunting private land with written permission. THAT SUCKS! I think oregon requires the same?? Wolves and cats are a different story, but coyotes...come on! That's a tough pill to swallow especially if you're a non-resident (like me) paying outragious prices already! If my 5 year old hadn't begged me for 2 months to take him pheasent hunting, I would have said screw idaho this year. Thing that sucks is I really like hunting idaho, but the quality is getting worse while the prices continue to skyrocket-16 dollar increase in one year for a small game hunting license...get the vasoline out!!

Do the grazing allotments have anything to do with deer populations? I hunted SE ID for 12 days during archery and saw 2 deer. The sheep herders were bringing 1,000s of sheep off the mountains, but there seemed to be lots of feed. I saw more beavers and otters than deer. I thought is was really strange to have no deer in such incredible habitat. A lot of OR is that was too...vacant of deer.

HK

IN the NRA hunter magazine, they recently posted some studies of coyotes in Georgia and South Carolina - places where they don't have a lot of coyotes.

In a 10,000 acre area where they had coyote and bobcat control, there were 72 fawns per 100 does.

in a 7,000 acre area, just 2 miles away, no predator control, there were 7 fawns per 100 does. A ten fold decrease.

IN another study in south carolina, only 16 of 60 radio collared fawns survived for more than nine weeks. Confirmed kills of 85% by coyotes and 15% by bobcats.

predation is a HUGE problem.

Talked with a recent Utah biologist, where we have a $500,000 a year coyote control program, and after pounding the dogs for 4 years, this years fawn/doe ratio is up to 80/100, almost double what it was.

certainly weather has some impact, but coyotes should be enemy number One for deer hunters, in the east or west.

Predators are part of the problem, but until IDFG grows a set and limits the number of deer hunters in the field, the number of bucks and overall herd health are going to continue to suffer.

This year I saw more coyotes on my Idaho deer hunt than deer. And only one fawn with a group of 5 does.

Grizzly

There's a lot of non-PC factors involved here. Yes, the coyotes, wolves, cats and bears are getting their share. Yes, last winter was tough on the fawns, especially with all of the new vacation homes being built on the winter range. Yes, The sheep are eating way too much of the deer and elk feed on our public land. Yes, we're shooting too many young bucks. How about the fact that the F&G is willing to sell out our deer and elk when they let people buy two tags as long as they pay a non-resident price for a second tag?

What elkchaser said. I live in WA and we ALWAYS buy Idaho lic and tags. Idaho is the best bang for your buck. Hands down! The last two winters 07 & 08 have had quite an effect on the deer, BUT the yote populations have have done really well. We didn't see near the deer that we have seen in the past, but we saw more coyotes than we ever have.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom