30 Days for mistaking woman for bear?

Roy

What do you think about this sentence? About the situation itself? Sad deal for the woman's family.

MSNBC.com

Young hunter who killed hiker gets 30 days

Wash. teen apologizes to victim's family after mistaking woman for bear

The Associated Press

updated 4:40 a.m. CT, Sat., July 11, 2009
MOUNT VERNON, Washington - A teenage hunter who shot and killed a hiker he mistook for a bear has been sentenced to 30 days in juvenile detention and 120 hours of community service.

Tyler J. Kales, then 14, was hunting with his older brother in August when he shot 54-year-old Pamela Almli of Oso, who was trekking on the popular Sauk mountain hiking trail north of Seattle.

Kales, who has since turned 15, apologized to the victim's family at Friday's sentencing and said he hoped they could forgive him.

The victim's sister, Gail Blacker, told him that "in one second you destroyed everything."

Kales, of Concrete, was convicted last month of second-degree manslaughter with a firearm.

Skagit County Superior Court Judge Susan Cook also sentenced him to a year of probation and said his community service must include four hours of hunting safety education.

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31860742/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/

MSN Privacy . Legal
? 2009 MSNBC.com

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

Really sad deal all the way around for everyone. I am surprised that the sentencing was public in a juvenile matter. Most states handle juvenile matters behind closed doors. While I think 30 days seems easy even for a juvenile, I think this is an instance where the kid should be tried as a juvenile as opposed to an adult. Although he was definitely criminally negligent, he had no intent to harm anyone. So, he isn't a broken kid that committed a depraved heart crime that should spend years in a state facility where he will be guaranteed to turn into a career criminal (I would bet this was what the judge thought personally). While hunting accidents are horribly stupid mistakes, the kid has to be punished in some manner. There is no way to bring this lady back. The judge handed down his punishment and we have to live with it. I think it would be a hard pill to swallow if I was the victim's family.

Sad deal for sure. Shoulda...Coulda....Woulda????? You cant protect everyone from everything. Accidents happen, I just wish it was treated the same as if a newly licensed driver (age 16) made a mistake...cuased an accident, and a life was lost. One is a stupid kid who made a mistake, while the other is a criminal that should burn at the stake.

P.S. Was it a "green" bullet? I'm sure that would help the hikers family with there closure.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

In situations like this I would like to see them have to actually speak at the hunters safety courses. Not just take it. Tell others about what he did. Not only will he grow from that but everyone sitting in the room will too.

I agree the kid should not be treated like a criminal who intentionally killed someone....but I think the sentence was pretty light. If it was anyone I knew and it affected me directly I would be pissed that he has to do 30 days in Juvie then do 120 hrs or community service....why not 2,000 hrs...make it last until he is 30 years old....20 hrs a week...

I could care less how much I don't have in common with some lady walking down a trail, who gets killed for no reason. It was not an accident, it was a combination of bad choices. This kid was not ready to hunt by himself, his brother was also not ready to take him hunting and make sure he didn't kill anyone, and on and on. Nobody should get killed for no reason without the killer paying a realistic price.

...wonder what she was wearing ???

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

>I agree the kid should not
>be treated like a criminal
>who intentionally killed someone....but I
>think the sentence was pretty
>light. If it was
>anyone I knew and it
>affected me directly I would
>be pissed that he has
>to do 30 days in
>Juvie then do 120 hrs
>or community service....why not 2,000
>hrs...make it last until he
>is 30 years old....20 hrs
>a week...
>
>I could care less how much
>I don't have in common
>with some lady walking down
>a trail, who gets killed
>for no reason. It
>was not an accident, it
>was a combination of bad
>choices. This kid was
>not ready to hunt by
>himself, his brother was also
>not ready to take him
>hunting and make sure he
>didn't kill anyone, and on
>and on. Nobody should
>get killed for no reason
>without the killer paying a
>realistic price.

+1 I agree there should be a price to pay for being stupid and a "I'm really sorry" and "please forgive me" does not cut it.
So yeah.. You take someones life for being stupid / careless / making bad choices and you should have to answer to it and be held accountable for your actions.

Wrong.

It was an accident. Preventable yes, but an accident none the less.

He didn't get drunk and kill someone in a crosswalk, while driving illegally.

What is the point of ruining another life?

If any of you think, for one minute, that this kid will EVER get a decent nights sleep or look in the mirror everyday, for the rest of his life, and not be sick......then you are some cold, heartless, SOB's.

He isn't getting off easy by any stretch of the imagination.

The older he gets, the more he learns about life, the worse it will get.

I would suspect he will never be able to forgive himself.

I am glad I ain't him......and I feel sorry for you insensitive d***ks'.

THERE ARE 14 YEAR OLDS THAT ARE MAN ENOUGH FOR THE FIELD!!!

THERES A BUNCH MORE 14 YEAR OLDS THAT WON'T BE READY FOR THE FIELD EVEN AT AGE 40!!!

A FEW YEARS BACK I NOTICED WITH MY BARE EYES IN SOME REAL MEAN TERRITORY WHAT I THOUGHT WAS A BEAR,I PUT MY GLASSES ON THE CRITTER & BY GAWD IF IT WASN'T A HUMAN CRAWLING UP THAT MEAN SSHIT ON ALL FOUR'S IN DARK BROWN COVERALLS,THIS WAS PUMPKIN SEASON KEEP IN MIND,I WAS ABOUT 800 YARDS AWAY WHEN I SPOTTED THIS JOKER,THESE KINDS OF THINGS DON'T BOTHER ME BUT FOR SOME OTHER TRIGGER HAPPY JOKERS IT'S JUST AN ACCIDENT WAITING TO HAPPEN!!!

NO DOUBT A TARD IN DARK BROWN COVERALLS RIGHT DURING THE PUMPKIN PATCH HUNT!!!

JUST ONE MORE REASON TO TRY & GIT-R-DONE BEFORE THE "ORANGE-EVERYWHERE HUNT" SHOWS UP!!!

SOMTIMES TO GET IN ON A PISSCUTTER IT TAKES SOME STEALTH!!!
I THANK MY FRIEND Feleno FOR THE STEALTH CAMO!!!

4a25cb9a7105a720.jpg

REMEMBER!!!

THERE'S ONLY ONE bobcat!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom