270WSM brass....what should I use and why?

B

brownndown

I am looking for personal experiences and feedback on the different brands out there...new to reloading and just looking for a few tips...Thanks

Havn't reloaded for a 270 WSM but do reload for two 300 WSMs and use Win or Rem brass. Either works fine and for use in a hunting rifle I doubt that higher end brass gives enough extra to warrent the higher cost.

>Havn't reloaded for a 270 WSM
>but do reload for two
>300 WSMs and use Win
>or Rem brass. Either
>works fine and for use
>in a hunting rifle I
>doubt that higher end brass
>gives enough extra to warrent
>the higher cost.

+1

Make sure you lube the cases well...The short fat WSM cases are thick at the necks and will stick in the die if not lubed properly..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Hey thanks guys I really appreciate the quick feedback, others can still feel free to chime in on this too tho!

I would have to think that if you have decent cases to start with and if you reneck and trim the cases the exact same each time and use quality measuring equipment there shouldnt be any issues...that coming from a machinsts stand point...It either on the money or its bad in my book!...Some guys might except so so tolerances IDK, who knows Im still a rookie to reloading either way you look at it!

Stack em like cord wood!!!

It would help to stick to one brand of brass. Rem. cases on the average have slightly thicker case walls then Win. and the same load in both cases will cause a slight spike in pressure in the Rem. case over the Win. case.

I have used both Rem. and Win. cases for my reloading and like both brands, I just keep them sorted when loading hunting rounds or testing for groups.

RELH

I started out using winchester brass, after a few reloads, two cases broke while trying to extract. had to use that low temp lead stuff to tap it out. ever since used Norma. Just get the best stuff and don't look back.

Ok thanks for the insight, could you explain more about the "spike" in pressure part?

Just checked Midway and a few other places and nobody has Norma in my caliber...where do you buy yours?

>I started out using winchester brass,
>after a few reloads, two
>cases broke while trying to
>extract. had to use that
>low temp lead stuff to
>tap it out. ever since
>used Norma. Just get the
>best stuff and don't look
>back.

What were you using for lube?

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-02-10 AT 02:36AM (MST)[p]If you have two different brand of cases of same caliber. the one with the thicker case walls will have less internal volume. If you dump 50 grains of powder in both cases, the one with less internal volume will show a higher pressure over the other case.
This can cause a slight problem with group size due to the pressure and velocity difference. Not a big thing danger wise unless you are at max pressures in the case with more volume and you dump that max load into the case with less internal volume. Could cause a blown primer or just loosen up the primer pocket and the case has to be thrown away.

To avoid this, try to stay with the same case brand. As for the winchester brass mentioned above sticking in the die, that was more then likely due to not lubing the case with enought sizing lube. Rem. and Win. both make good cases, no need to pay more for the high end brass unless you want to spend the money.

now if he was talking about the cases breaking apart in the gun chamber while extracting the case. That sounds like a problem with "head seperation" and that is caused by not having the sizing die adjusted properly and you get case expansion every time you fire that case until the case head seperates from the body of the brass cartidge.

RELH

Thanks alot man! That really shed alot of light on the subject for me...I completely understood everything you said and it all makes perfectly good sense!...I remembered that last yr I kept my casings from my Federal Premims...I think I will just use them instead of buying more. Is it true that you will get more accuracy out of a once fired shell from your own gun than a new casing all together???

You have a better chance of more accuracy since the case is fireformed to your chamber. You just have to be sure you set your sizing die for proper sizing in YOUR CHAMBER.

Many other things can effect accuracy, powder, choice of bullets, how far you seat the bullet ogive from the lands of your barrel. Load small batches and try for accuracy. If not accurate enough, you have to experiment with different componets to find the best load. You will find that the best accurate load will not be the hottest load, somewhere below that most of the times. I have seen exceptions to this rule, but not that often.

Do yourself a big favor, buy a good book on reloading that will answer most of your questions and tell you how to work up a good hunting load.

RELH

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom