270 weatherby mag or 7mm mag all around gun

J

jbear

What is everyones opinions on these two calibers for an all around gun? What I mean is for Antelope-Elk out to 800yrds. and occassionally longer distance shooting 1000yrds. pros and cons. help please I dont no what it is but the 270 wby looks great on paper. Am I wrong which is better, which would you choose and why?

If you are going to consider it a "all around rifle" for both deer and Elk. You would be better off on taking the 7mm mag. Better bullet selection for elk at a distance.

I am going to be honest with you. In several posts you keep mentioning long distance shooting from 700 to now a 1000 yards.
The fact that you have to ask so many questions about calibers to do that shooting tells me you are not experienced enough to even consider a 500 yard shot, let along one out to 1000 yards.

Get your feet back on earth and get a good caliber hunting rifle and get a lot of experience shooting and you will figure out most of the answers to the questions you have been asking.

Do not believe all that hype you see on hunting shows, they edit out the bad shots and only show you the good shots. Those long shots are not as easy as they make them out to be. You end up just losing a wounded animal to die a slow death and rot away.

RELH

In my opinion a 800yrd shot is a long shot on a animal for me... The 1000yrd is just for steel plates. the whole reson i am asking so many questions is just because I am trying to purchase one gun to harvest animals at 800yrds max not a bunch of different guns. Yes 500yrds is shot for me right now but my kids are getting older and I am going to start shooting and hunting more. so I want to make the right choice on a caliber. Sorry If I sound or seem stupid I thought MM was here to help guys learn and share advice and other things. I am not trying to sound harsh.

jbear,

RELH is right on about yardarge. Long distance shots are alot harder to make than most will admit. I shoot a Rem 7mm Mag and have made shots on elk to near 500 yards but that was with lots of range time and knowing the velocity of my handloads. The 7MM mags will most likely outdo the .270 mag on the longest ranges. Heavier bullets tend to carry velocity further thus enabling longer range shots IF the shooter is up to doping the wind. I have practiced for years with my 7mm and for me and my rifle about 500 yards is my limit and I much prefer shots at 300 or less. Good Luck

I've had both. First the 7mm mag then I went to the 270 Weatherby. Now I'm back to the 7mm Mag. Nothing more needs to be said.

I would consider the 270 WSM, or the 7mm mag.
both great calibers, and real shooters.

The 7mm does give you more range of bullet options.

Watch the military channel some time and watch them shoot 700-1300 yards. TOUGH!!!

Good luck.

ditto to the above posts about distance etc.
I would also take the 270 WSM over the Weatherby (More efficient use of powder and I am a short mag fan).
Regardless, If elk is on the table the 7mag would be my choice.
Happy Hunting!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom