270 for Moose????

D

Deadred7o7

My Father is going on a Moose hunt in Oct. up in B.C. and wants to take his A-bolt 270 with Fed. 150g.I have a Win.Mod 70 in 300wsm that I wont be needding that time of year.Him and I have been talking smack back and forth about this subject. He says shot placement I say use enough gun? But neather of us has been on a Moose hunt so I was hopeing some one could help us out.He11 I think both are good arguments.What do you guys think?

any input would help

Kyle

If he hasn't already done it he might check with his outfitter, the one I used in Alberta wouldn't let anyone use anything smaller than a 30-06 with 180's. I'm sure with careful shot placement a 270 would work but I would take the 300 for sure.

Plenty of gun, I have shot two with my .270 with 140 gr Hornady interlocks one shot both. One with a ,280 139 hornadys they will work. Its where you hit them, not what you hit them with.

I agree, if your patient enough to take a good broadside shot (which we allshould be) then Im sure the .270 will do the trick. Moose are huge, but not as tough as Elk, pound for pound, from what I hear.
*disclaimer* I have no first hand experience with killing a Yukon Moose with a .270, so take the advice FWIW.

Like I said I think both sides have good points. 2 of the 3 guys going with him soot 270's and have shot Moose befor up there. But none have tooken a "BIG" bull and I dont want to talk my dad out of shooting a gun he is comfortable with.

Kyle

Here is the scoop. My Dad used a 270 to kill his Canadian moose years ago. It seems to me it was with a 150 grain bullet, but might be wrong about that. I know he shoots 130s at deer. I also know of a moose that got tagged with a 25-06 though I wouldn't recommend it. Then there is the Yukon moose that I dumped with my longbow this fall with a 125 grain two bladed broadhead. It is all about shot placement as it is with any gun.

As for moose being easier to knock down then elk. hmmmmmmmm I wouldn't want to compare the two. Let me say that your first shot better be the one that counts because after that first one, you can pump lead all day into a moose and it really doesn't matter.

The advice to talk to the outfitter is sound. If he's going to end up taking yours, make sure he spends enough time shooting it to get comfortable. Including some shooting in the timber/marshes, or what ever is similar to where he'll be hunting. Want him comfortable and confident with the firearm.

I've taken two moose and both went down pretty easy but I know long time moose hunters say they've lost them just like any animal, they are a big animal and not the wimps some say. myself I can't figure out why anyone would take a gun on a hunt where they might have to pass on a shot or worse yet lose a trophy animal because the gun they took was marginal for the game they were after. I'm not saying it's wrong but I just don't understand why anyone would do it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom