257 Roberts & Antelope

Moon_Chopper

Going on my first antelope hunt. Is this caliber sufficient to kill out to 400 yards? The only other gun I have is a 300wsm - a bit much I believe. Appreciate the feedback.

I use a 300 win mag for everything. I dont think its too much. Gives me the range to make the longer shots if needed.
Just depends on what you are most comfortable with I think.

I agree use what you shot best with. I shot a buck with a .243 at 350ish 2 years ago and didn't have any problems. All you need is good shot placement.

Your .257 Roberts will be a perfect gun for that hunt. I've been using my Ruger 25-06 for some time on them, but am going to use the .243 Sako this year that I just inherited when my Dad died last September. It's a tack driver and if I could see one at 400 yards with my eyesight as bad as it is I wouldn't hesitate to shoot one that far with it.

Always remember there is no such thing as "too dead" IMO. With that in mind, my .300RUM will be hunting antelope in Nevada next month.

There is also nothing as "more dead" Had to stir the pot. Haha. I'll be using my 243 this fall and have used 270, 7mm-08, and 25-06. All were dead after one shot.

wise words from a guy that shoots a 243 all the time, when using a small caliber rifle, always check for a hit. i ve seen them run without acting hit and be dead just over the hill even with a good hit. that being said i wouldn't even hesitate to use a 257 roberts. use the 117 gr. bullet.

The 257 will be fine. Personal preference id use the 110 accubonds or 100grto ttsx. Whatever shoots best in your rifle and your confident in go with that.

I used a .257 Ackley (Roberts Improved) on my first speed goat with great results. 300 yd heart shot. Just practice the long shots. I used a 120 grain Sierra Gameking bullet. Good luck

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom