25-05 anyone?

muzz

Long Time Member
Anyone here shoot the 25-06?
I was gonna ackley mine but said screw it. Not worth the price of dies and fire forming. So I'll just put the new barrel on and use as the standard

O--one
B--big
A--ass
M--mistake
A--america

LAST EDITED ON May-06-14 AT 11:34AM (MST)[p]I just got mine and I'm down to the last of the factory ammo before I start reloading. It has a Timney trigger and also has the action bedded. I think I will like it. I'm going to find a load with the 120 grn. I will try the ladder method with imr 7828 and H 4831sc. I will also play around with FL and neck sizing, FL has worked for me before.

I will try to post a photo later.

Fast, flat and accurate. Love mine for deer and antelope!!! Also a great coyote gun in the wind.

I've got a Ruger M77 heavy barrel with the tang safety that shoots under MOA with Hornady 117 grain BTSPs using IMR 4350. It's never had anything done to it other than refinishing the stock.

Muzz, It's a tough call to go Ackley or not. If i were buying a new barrel, i'd probably go the Ackley route as i'm a fan of the improved case, especially the improved '06 case which the 25-06 Ackley would be, and i reload anyway.

I have though, killed 8-10 nice Muley bucks and probably near 50 better class Blacktails with the Reg ol 25-06 and i loved every second of shooting and hunting with that round. I think it's only drawback is in it's lighter bullets at the longer ranges. There are better cartridges out there that can do a better job at distance. Up to 400, maybe 500 yards though, it's a buck killing SOB of a cartridge and a pleasure to shoot.

Good luck with yours!!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I like the AI because you can shoot both standard and AI out of it. I love my 25-06, I also love my 6.5 x 55 too. I used to be a bigger is better guy then I got into these smaller bores and love them.

And when you wanna get really serious, you shoot a .257wby! :)

I agree with the AI version but I don't have the money for dies or I would.

I thinkhe original will do just fine for my step son to use deer hunting and me a new varmint gun. Or so I told the wife.

The 257 would be nice to but brass is over priced and burns more powder. Not a big deal but I have read a lot on the 25-06 and the AI so I thought I would give it a whirl.

I have my 280 AI coming home soon after being rechambered so I have that to toy with. I thought about the 257 AI also. Just so many out there I could really be in trouble with mony doing rifles.

O--one
B--big
A--ass
M--mistake
A--america

I have one a Ruger No.1 V that will print 3/4" groups with any factory ammo, I haven't bothered reloading for it yet because I really don't have the time. I killed my elk and deer with it last year.

For me my next project will be a 6.5x06. You are basically there if you are going to rebarrel your gun now. It would give you a better bullet selection. From 100 to 140 grains. Just a thought.

The 6.5x06 and the 6x06 burn barrels like a bat out of hell. The 257 is not a bad cal but you do realize its about the same as a 25x06 to call it a better or lessor cal is like telling a child a 22lr or bb gun won't kill.

deerslayer said, "The 6.5x06 and the 6x06 burn barrels like a bat out of hell. The 257 is not a bad cal but you do realize its about the same as a 25x06 to call it a better or lessor cal is like telling a child a 22lr or bb gun won't kill."

Why would a 6.5x06 burn barrels faster than a 25-06? They wouldn't, at least not because of the cartridge.

Your average hunter will never burn out a barrel in 3 lifetimes!

"The 257"? What .257? Roberts, Weatherby, What?

"The 257 is not a bad cal but you do realize its about the same as a 25x06..." It IS the same caliber! WTF?

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Barrel burners? Hmm haven't heard of the 6.5 being that, but whatever I would still build one if I had a 6.5 barrel. I think it depends a lot on shooting style.

O--one
B--big
A--ass
M--mistake
A--america

LOL!

I did burn the Barrel out on my 100/22 RUGER Once!:D

But it wasn't from Tamping the Powder!

Everybody is trying to make 'their' Gun Shoot a 100 fps faster than anybody elses!

The Animals I Shoot just don't seem to care about Bullet Speed!LOL!:D

Hey Muzz?

Think you've been toying around long enough on this .25 Caliber!

Season is coming!

Best GIT-R-DONE!

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

Shooting out of of 06 case the 6.5 and 6mm tend to be barrel burners because of hot rodders who thing that they need to fill the entire case. The 257 and the 25-06 are the same bullet but different casings that is why I stated they are pretty much the same thing (we will leave the mags out of this discussion for the sake of the KISS principle). My fav cal is a 6.5 x 55 sweede its amazing, same with the 25-06, 257 and so one. My point is don't load the damn things all the way up with powder, and go with what you like!

It will be done and shooting half inch or better by then.

I didn't say I was gonna load it go the hilt with powder, I find a load that's accurate and that's where it stays. Speed don't kill, accuracy does.

O--one
B--big
A--ass
M--mistake
A--america

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom