243 ELDX vs. Interlock for elk? Long Range only?

elks96

Long Time Member
My daughter shoots a 243. I do not need any lectures on the appropriateness of this round, it works fine and we know our limits.

We were given 2 boxes of the Hornady Precision Ammo in 90 grain ELDX. We have been using the 100 grain Interlocks and have been impressed with the round for antelope, deer and elk.

We are getting about 200 more FPS out of the ELDX, but slightly lower bullet weight. We have a 200 yard limit on the shot no matter what the game.

Does the ELDX really give us any advantage at all if we are keeping our shots to under 200 yards?

I feel as if the ELDX is good if plan to shoot further distances, but that is not going to happen in this case at all...

It's all about the hemorrhagic shock(wave) sent through the vitals that will do the necessary damage to kill quickly.

10 grs difference and more speed gives an increase of 6% more KE, which matters in rifle ballistic performance.

Go for it, and good luck!

The eldx is a great bullet and my bullet of choice. But for what you're trying to do the 100 grain interlock would be a better choice IMO. The eldx will have a better Ballistic coefficient (which doesn't mean squat under 300 yards) and better muzzle velocities but I would be trying to shoot the heaviest, bonded bullet I could that performs well in the gun. Couldn?t honestly go wrong with either though.

Coloradoboy

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom