2024 Utah bear “Moe”

BIGOLMULEY

Sorry, long one 😬
So I could have drawn the summer bait tag in Utah last year. But had to much going on, so I pushed it to 2024. Always nice to know you will draw. My good friend Jeran also drew the tag. Which was nice, as I am paralyzed on my right side and there is no way I skin a bear without help.
My friend Jake and his boys helped me with a bunch of bait. I popped a million kernels of popcorn and we headed out to set up 4 baits. It was a lot of work for one day.
IMG_3870.jpeg

IMG_3892.jpeg
The bright frosting made it easy to see if a bear was on the bait. They chewed that stuff off!
Went back 3 days later and only one site was hit. Jeran sat and passed a good black bear the first night.
IMG_3948.png

We saw a few sows and the boars were on them. Never saw a single cub.
I was trying with my bow and sat my bait. But nothing had hit it so I was just hoping. We left and came back a few days later.
The first bait that was hit was getting pounded. Bait almost all gone. We think 4 different bears, but nothing better than the one that was passed.
But a second bait was hit!
STC_0370.jpeg
STC_0032.jpeg

A big cinnamon Boar and a big black with a big black sow. Again, no cubs. I decided to sit with Jeran to be there when he killed one of these bears. It’s a pretty tough hike up to where they sit. I made it, but it was tough. That night the cinnamon one came in first. He was there 2 minutes and was gone! Was just getting the camera ready. Figured we had some time. He didn’t come back that night. But just before dark the black one came in. For 20 minutes he was faced straight away, no shot. Then it was dark. We rebaited everything the next morning and I had to leave. Jeran and his daughter hunted that night and killed the cinnamon one.
IMG_7129.jpeg

It was a really good bear.
So I headed back down on a Monday and rebaited. Now that Jeran killed I switched my bait site to his with the dwr. My other one still hadn’t been hit. And those 2 big black ones were on this same site.
My friends son came with me to bait. The bait had been wiped out. Hardly anything left. So we loaded it back up. More frosting.
When we checked the camera the black ones were there, but a monster had shown up!
IMG_3957.jpeg
View recent photos.jpeg
STC_0446.jpeg

At first we thought he was rubbed. But when I sent pictures to Jeran he freaked out. He said, “that’s Moe!” His son had a tag in 2021 and they were trying to kill this bear. Moe, for Mohawk.

Continue in the comments
Can only put 10 pics in one post.

STC_0620.jpeg
STC_1686.jpeg

Same hide! We think he just had male pattern baldness! 😂
He had a giant noggin. And was just big. I couldn’t get back down until Wednesday afternoon. We baited on Monday.
Jeran came with me and we snuck in and set up for a bow shot. Knowing we were in close, we worried about wind. It was pretty good, but here and there it blew up where we figured the bears were. Nothing came in. We decided to go with the rifle. The next morning, evening and the next morning we sat. Nothing! On Friday morning about 11 we decided to check the camera. We had been staying out of there. The night we sat in close with a bow, Moe came in at midnight for a few minutes then never again. The black boar kept coming in, but always in the dark.
We decided to go check the camera on the other bait and took another couple of bags of bait in. This bait is 4 miles in a straight line from the other one. As I was baiting, Jeran was checking the pictures. About an hour before dark the evening before Moe had showed up! So he traveled from midnight to 8:30 pm probably close to 5 miles to the other bait! Wild! We ran back to camp and got the gun ready. We got set up about 250 yards from the bait at just after 6:00 pm. At 6:20 the cinnamon sow came in from the previous picture. She would take some bread or doughnut then run off. I was on the gun and ready. She came in a few times then left. About 2 minutes later I looked over there and told Jeran she was back. He had the scope and camera set up and he says, “That’s Moe!”
20 seconds later I shot.
For some reason I can’t upload a video.
We decided to leave him overnight as we were going to need some help. We drove up to get service and Jake and his son were super awesome to drive down.
The next morning we took off to find Moe. Felt good about the shot. But there was not much blood. Long story short, Jake’s son Harris walked onto him in a thick patch of deadfall. We had all walked within feet of him. Wow! He was incredible. I may or may not have cried.

IMG_9102.jpeg
IMG_4026.jpeg
IMG_4048.jpeg
IMG_4055.jpeg
IMG_7237.jpeg
IMG_0145.jpeg
IMG_0143.jpeg

Pretty dang cool. We can only guess, but we have killed a number of bears. He has got to be around 400 lbs. DWR said he was the biggest he had seen in 20 years. I took a tooth too. I sent it in to be aged. I am sure he will be 10-15 years old.
Really blessed for such a bear,(Mohawk!) and great friends
I may be limited on my body, but with some good friends I can do anything.

Jason “The Big Ol’ Muley”

Jason:

Congratulations, that is an amazing bear.
My son had a summer tag as well. We hunted hard and just did not get it done. We sat at a sight a few times with a really nice 5'-5 1/2' bear hitting it often. My son passed on the bear. One night we decided to sit the other site and sure enough, a really nice boar came into the site we had been sitting.

It is certainly tough to kill a big boar. That boar of yours is as good as it gets!!

View attachment 150409View attachment 150410
Same hide! We think he just had male pattern baldness! 😂
He had a giant noggin. And was just big. I couldn’t get back down until Wednesday afternoon. We baited on Monday.
Jeran came with me and we snuck in and set up for a bow shot. Knowing we were in close, we worried about wind. It was pretty good, but here and there it blew up where we figured the bears were. Nothing came in. We decided to go with the rifle. The next morning, evening and the next morning we sat. Nothing! On Friday morning about 11 we decided to check the camera. We had been staying out of there. The night we sat in close with a bow, Moe came in at midnight for a few minutes then never again. The black boar kept coming in, but always in the dark.
We decided to go check the camera on the other bait and took another couple of bags of bait in. This bait is 4 miles in a straight line from the other one. As I was baiting, Jeran was checking the pictures. About an hour before dark the evening before Moe had showed up! So he traveled from midnight to 8:30 pm probably close to 5 miles to the other bait! Wild! We ran back to camp and got the gun ready. We got set up about 250 yards from the bait at just after 6:00 pm. At 6:20 the cinnamon sow came in from the previous picture. She would take some bread or doughnut then run off. I was on the gun and ready. She came in a few times then left. About 2 minutes later I looked over there and told Jeran she was back. He had the scope and camera set up and he says, “That’s Moe!”
20 seconds later I shot.
For some reason I can’t upload a video.
We decided to leave him overnight as we were going to need some help. We drove up to get service and Jake and his son were super awesome to drive down.
The next morning we took off to find Moe. Felt good about the shot. But there was not much blood. Long story short, Jake’s son Harris walked onto him in a thick patch of deadfall. We had all walked within feet of him. Wow! He was incredible. I may or may not have cried.

View attachment 150415View attachment 150416View attachment 150417View attachment 150418View attachment 150419View attachment 150420View attachment 150421
Pretty dang cool. We can only guess, but we have killed a number of bears. He has got to be around 400 lbs. DWR said he was the biggest he had seen in 20 years. I took a tooth too. I sent it in to be aged. I am sure he will be 10-15 years old.
Really blessed for such a bear,(Mohawk!) and great friends
I may be limited on my body, but with some good friends I can do anything.

Jason “The Big Ol’ Muley”
Congrats on a great bear. I wouldn't be surprised if he's older than 15. Keep us posted.

Have you decided how you are going to mount that one? Life size would look awesome, but expensive and takes up a lot of room. Rug would be cool but may not show off the Mohawk well. Either way, I would like to see the final results.

Have you decided how you are going to mount that one? Life size would look awesome, but expensive and takes up a lot of room. Rug would be cool but may not show off the Mohawk well. Either way, I would like to see the final results.
I was not going to life size. But I think I have to. He is such a unicorn.
I am trying to figure out.
Please if anyone has ideas!
He also has a white patch on his chest. Which is cool.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom