2013!

mickeyelk

Very Active Member
The application period will soon be upon us. I'm wordering what unit to put in for. (I have the max elk points). Looking at getting, at least, a chance at a 350 caliber bull. Will go guided if needed. Have been applying for units 30 and 31 the past 10 or so years and it is getting tiresome, not drawing. Last year, on this website, I heard people talking about better units than the two above to get a nice bull. Trying to do my research now. My home state of Nevada is impossible to draw, 17 years and nada. Help!

350 chance is tough in Wyoming...area 7 guided then is my advice. I shot a 347 there, but I did it unguided a few years ago before it was all the rage.

I have spent a lot of time in 30 and 31. I have seen a couple of bulls that would go 350 but that is very tuff! I shot a 344 and was very happy! I would look at a few other units if its a 350 or tag soup. PM me and I can give you a few ideas.

>350 chance is tough in Wyoming...area
>7 guided then is my
>advice. I shot a
>347 there, but I did
>it unguided a few years
>ago before it was all
>the rage.

Agreed. I wouldn't even waste your time hunting Wyoming. Yeah right, just kidding.

This guide says he rarely takes anything below 350 in his late season hunts. [http://www.wyominghunts.com/elk3.htm]

Maybe give him a call and see what you think.

I think the problem is most of those hunts he's talking about are now gone thanks to the wolves. the few that are left aren't consistant at anything near that big from what my research has shown. if anyone knows better I'm all ears my wife has max points.

350 is really good in WY.

Stay thirsty my friends

I hunted Area 7 two years ago guided on private ranches and I saw a couple of 350 class bulls but I didn't kill one nor did the other two guys hunting that week. Nor did the guys hunting the next hunt. A 320-330 was thought to be representative bull for the area but there would be a chance at a 350.

With maximum points and the special license Area 7 was 100% draw this year. I think a lot of the late hunts in western Wyoming are still 10% draw even with maximum points. I think they do kill some big bulls on these hunts, the elk have migrated down to the open ranch country and there is the opportunity to look at a lot of elk to find the big one.

I went to the National Elk Refuge at Jackson a couple of years ago and there were 8,000 elk on it and the guide said they thought there was one 350 bull, but there was a lot of 300-320 bulls.

Like the others have said, a 350 bull is pretty rare in Wyoming.

Wow, didn't think it was that bad up there! I'll check into the guide that was mentioned above and thanks for your inputs. Utah400 I'll pm you.

If you want a legitimate shot at a 350 bull, plan on a guided hunt. Carrico south of Rawlins takes some 350 bulls. Can't think of his name, but that outfitter in 61 knocks down a few 350 class bulls. Wapiti Ridge Outfitters also whacks some big bulls. I'm planning a sheep hunt with him in 2 or 3 years...

If you are thinking of area 7,look into Wagonhound Ranch. They own 150,000 acres,and kill 350 plus bulls evry year,but they are spendy!

Unit 58 near Cody is one of the late season units where they harvest some 350 plus bulls. The draw odds for the nonresident special with maximum points this year was 27%. So in a couple of years a max point holder should have a good chance to draw.

wvhunter is right, 58 is heck of an area.. its super tough for a resident to draw it... some monster bulls get taken. lot of guys pay a 50o dollar trespassing few for the hoo doo ranch. when the snow flies a guy can choose bulls left to right

Area 63/64

Call josh long well
307 921 0728
350 is a very reasonable goal. Private land hunt.

I guide for him and live on the ranch

Bulls I guided too last year and this year.

HDBULL1.jpg

100_2734-1-1.jpg

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom