2012 Graduation Lope Hunt--Need Advice

Phantom Hunter

Very Active Member
I have promised my son an antelope hunt next year as a graduation present. He will be graduating with a BA in the spring. We have 3 points going into next years draw. Looking at some units in central Wyo. Looking for Wyoming residents willing to give some advice on unit selection, camping spots and other pertinent info by pm. Want to have a great hunt with my son before he starts his career.

Thanks

It really doesn't matter which unit you put in for. There are good goats in about any of them. Typically, the harder to draw, the better the unit. Those that do their homework know which ones to put in for. If you're looking for a good hunt next year, then pick a unit furthest away from the bigger populations of people. Past posts have given up a lot of information about the better ones. Spend a little time pulling that info up and reading about them. I assume you are talking the general rifle hunts. If I were you, and travel is an issue, stick with that or a muzzleloader hunt. Archery demands a bunch of time finding a good spot, and they have pretty much all been found and claimed before opening morning. Best wishes on the draw.

With three points you guys could draw Unit 63 in the regular PP draw or you could Draw Unit 62 in the special PP draw. Either should be a great tag.

Thanks for the replys and pm's. Anyone else want to offer advice on planning this hunt please chime in or send a pm.

Phantom Hunter

If you really want to hunt next fall be very careful putting for a unit that took 3 points to draw if you will have 3 points. All it takes is a small decrease in the number of tags or a slight increase in applicants and all of a sudden your 3 points will leave you out. I would look at draws, regular and special, that took 2 points last year and plan to hunt one of them. That way you will have "wiggle" room in the draw and shouldn't get passed over.

That makes sense.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Actually, Unit 63 with reg PP was 100% draw with three points and 64% with <3. And Unit 62 special fee PP was 100% draw om 3 points and <3 points. And 2 points was still 29%. I am pretty certain both these units can be drawn as I said earlier with 3 points

Had a friend hunt 63 this year and saw bucks everywhere. I hunted 73 this year and saw bucks everywhere. we actually got bigger bucks out of 73? Good luck and have fun

Agreed, I have hunted around 73 and around 63. 63 has declined and the quality is not what it was. Some good bucks coming out of 73 and areas around it. Were it me 73 would be my choice. Also the advice on application swing is good. Look for a unit that you can get even if apps go up by 50%. These days with magazines pimping units, apps can go wayyyyy up seemingly overnight if someone prints something good about a certain unit.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom