2010 Utah General turkey season

M

mathewsman

Just wondering what you all think of next years first general otc statewide turkey season?? I'm pretty skeptical. Not so much in the hunt itself, but in how the hunters will ruin it by doing stupid stuff like trespassing, hunting too close to houses, over-calling, shooting them out of the roost, turkey drives, run-n-gun, etc. I hope I'm wrong....or I hope I draw an early tag!

Here's the latest on the 2010 season:

http://wildlife.utah.gov/news/09-11/turkey_permits.php

We just went back to having permits drawn being very slim, with only 2500 tags in that draw.

The second season has unlimited tags.....since I experience the regionwide tag last year, all I can say is that the spring turkey season will look like general rifle deer.

I do like the youth hunt. Anyone who has been on turkey in the spring cannot deny how exciting it is for an adult, let alone a kid!

Hopefully the plan also includes harvest reports, because I can see some of the bird populations getting hammered with unlimited number of hunters for a month!

Pred

Sitting on 5pts.......

I am not to excited about the changes......

I do want to draw and get it over with this 2010 season though as I feel 2011 will be chitty with the slaughter in 2009/2010 liberal tag issue and harvests.

Robb

Been huntin Turkeys since the 1st season showed up several years ago.
Glad we got to experience the QUALITY of what a hunt can be.
I fought against this 'UN-LIMITED-OVER THE COUNTER' BS but have lost the fight.
Yes we have a fair amount of birds,on certain years/winters I have personally seen the birds take one hell of a hit,they need to be watched closely.
This thoroughly agitates me,people like PleaseDear have been earning/waiting their turn for years for a quality hunt,I hope he draws this year or them points ain't gonna be worth the paper they're wrote on.
Thanks DWR & all you loud mouth opportunists,lets manage Turkeys just like the Pee Poor management of Mule Deer in this state!

LAST EDITED ON Nov-29-09 AT 11:42AM (MST)[p]Apparently everyone in Utah is happy with spike bulls, Dinky bucks, and now , for the most part , settling for Jake's.....
I think it sucks!
4aec49a65c565954.jpg

I will wait to pass judgement on the more liberal turkey regs. Those of you sitting on lots of points could have cashed in the past few years if you would have been willing to hunt in the less popular units. I do sympathize with anyone who really wants to hunt turkeys and hasn't been able to draw. The area we [my family and friends]hunt has seen a big increase in tag numbers the last couple of years but still holds good numbers and mature toms. The days when you could show up and take a big longbeard the first day may be over...but if you really want to learn how to hunt turkeys I think the more liberal regs could actually be o.k. just my opinion.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom