2010 muzzleloader whitetail

S

Saskman

I tagged out on my whitetail tonight. I had seen this guy a few times during archery season but could not figure out a pattern for him. He just seemed to wander randomly through out the area on his way to an alfalfa field. He never made it to the field in the daylight. He never seemed to bed in the same place and used different trails to get their in the evening. I just could never be in the right spot with the bow. Now that muzzleloader season was on I figured I should be able to spot and stalk him a little easier. Tonight I was sitting on a hill overlooking the general area where he hangs out. I had seen a couple small bucks and a decent muley buck but nothing big. I told myself that as the sun set I would move off the hill and slowly still hunt along the edge of some poplar bluffs. I had stood up and just took a few steps to the crest of the hill and I heard a deer moving through the bush below me. I saw him come out and he stopped on the edge of a small poplar bluff about 100 yards away. He had been lying right below me all night in the only little spot around me I could not see. He had heard me but I don't think he knew what had made the noise. He was quartering away from me with his head turned back over his shoulder looking back towards me. I had to make an off hand shot and was a little more unsteady than I would have liked. At the shot he bolted into the trees. I didn't hear the thump you usually hear with a hit so I wasn't sure if I missed or not. I just continued to watch hoping to maybe see him come out of the trees. I saw him come stumbling out of the side of the bluff and fall in site which was a great relief. I had hit him right where I had wanted. The bullet entered near the last rib and exited right behind the front shoulder. He died less than 100 yards from where I took my deer last year.

This is the only photo I got before the light faded to much and I had to use a flash.
20101005-IMG_7211.jpg

20101005-IMG_7214.jpg

20101005-IMG_7241.jpg

20101005-IMG_7240.jpg

Here is his left shed from last year. I searched forever for the other side but could not find it.
IMG_1384-7D.jpg

Wow, Nice mass a great looking whitey.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

LAST EDITED ON Oct-06-10 AT 11:33AM (MST)[p]Quit hunting!!! You make the rest of us all look like Retards :)

Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high, keep your eyes fixed to where the trail meets the sky...

We put a tape to him this morning. His total gross score including the three extra stickers is 178 6/8. His typical frame grosses 174 4/8. After all deductions he nets 167 typical.

What a beautiful buck! Congrats....again. You kind of make me sick, you know? You seem to hammer some seriously big animals EVERY year.
Good work! Thanks for posting.

The meat cutter found an old broadhead in him that was all healed over. Somebody just about got lucky with him.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-06-10 AT 11:32PM (MST)[p]That is a stud WT! Congrats.

Josh

That is one old warrior there!...awesome pics....CONGRATS!!!!!!!!...just we bit bigger than my 65" muzzy buck LOL

Can't kill em from the couch!

If I ever have a year like you are having I would probably just quit...............ehhhh maybe not! Nice job on some great bucks this year!!

DANG!!!!!!!

that is one killer whitetail!

there are just a couple guys on here that just always get it done on big deer. your one of them!

You da man Sask!
Can you do us a favor and kill a management eight point or maybe an old 3 point muley next year? You know, let us know your not perfect?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom