2010 draw

N

northwesthunter

Just curious how many nonres applicants change their unit choices year to year because of the outfitter tags that come out of our pool. For instance did some of you put in for the mt emily bow tag because the wenaha and walla walla tag went to the outfitter and now this year you will change your choice back? Just trying to outguess the draw odds and wondered if they might be a little better on even years for the top three units??. nwhunter

I change my choices almost every year. Not by the outfitter reason but by doing hours of research with the points I have. I am trying to draw the best unit within reason of my points. But Oregon is very tough by the limited NR tags, so I have started looking at success % in stead of trophy qaulity.

I have 13 points. I don't switch units but rather go for points only while I'm waiting for a real chance at Wenaha or walla walla (archery).

WIth all the draw odds on the net and Huntin'Fool and all the other info the draw games are no real secret I was just curious how guys play it here in Oregon with the outfitter tags and how they effect the draws. Myself I am in for the same unit every year nowing the wenaha isn't an option and walla walla would be a looong wait. My real problem is I want to draw with my brother so that might make the wait even longer to get two tags nwhunter

I change my choices when a state almost doubles their fee and they don't have anything to show for it. Glad I got the best Oregon has to offer (California BHS) a couple of years ago. I won't be putting in for OR anymore.

If you are a non res and your brother is a nonres you will never get the mt. emily tag. They only give one out as far as I can tell. That is the biggest disappointment with Oregon. The prices suck now and the hunting could be better but the worst thing is that we have almost no chance at the better tags. A unit like mt. emily with 50 tags we should at least get 2 or 3 and then the pt creep would slow down. I have enough pts I could have drawn it for several years in a row but now it probably passed me by and I have a lot of pts. good luck!

My .02 for all nonres guys is draw out when you can. Oregon's "best" units now have wolves aplenty. I wouldn't wait another day to draw out if I had 13-14 points. Take any unit you can with the points you have. Oregon has been down for many years and without any serious predator control the decline will continue. If you have say 3-4 or more years to wait...well I'd fold 'em right now. Sheep is the only thing Oregon has worth the chance and the $$ IMO. There are no points for sheep and it is completely random.

HK

Ya I have 12 points and now want out. Wondering if I should try for the Mt. Emily tag or just quit. I don't feel I'll ever have a chance at Walla Walla or Weneha. What is the point donating $147 every year for the priveledge to not hunt.

While it would be better for my chances if you quit, I would have to say why not at least try for the mt emily tag after all these years of putting in and the $ you spent. Apparently there is only one tag and you have a pretty good chance at getting it so if you have the time to hunt it this fall go for it. Other option would be if you had a hunting partner you like to hunt with split your points and put in for sled springs. I guess I am assuming you are talking archery hunting??nwhunter

Hey Scott,

I just got done at the Puyallup Sportshow, seems most everyone is cashing in their points this year, making ALL the upper end tags near impossible to draw!

I think I may be very busy this year in Mt Emily!

Yes I forgot the point averaging. I have a friend in Portland with low points that would go in. Otherwise, ya Mt. Emily archery was my thought.

Worse yet is 12 deer points. I see no deer units worthwhile.

Well, if everyone is going to cash in their tags this year, then maybe I'll just buy another point for deer and elk.
I can continue shooting by buck and bull on the east side of the Snake River for a spell!

Ya I think the draw odds are going to be way off this year with people getting out of the game. With what I have invested already its worth it to me to wait it out a couple years and I think the draws might get a little easier and maaaaybe ODFW will make a few positive changes to help the critters. Bob hope you are busy in the mt emily this year, may be I will go on a scout trip with you this summer. nwhunter

HERE IS MY TWO CENTS WORTH (THAT AND $3.50 WILL GET YOU HALF A CUP OF COFFEE)
MANY WITH HIGHER POINTS ARE GOING TO BURN THEIR POINTS ON LESSER HUNTS THIS YEAR JUST TO GET OUT OF OREGON. CANT BLAME THEM. THOSE WHO HAVE BEEN PUTTING IN FOR POINTS SAVER ARE GOING TO APPLY FOR ANY HUNT THAT THEY THINK THEY CAN GET JUST TO GET OUT OF OREGON. THE PROBLEM IS BECAUSE SO MANY MAY NOW PUT IN TO BURN THEIR POINTS WHAT YOU MAY OF HAD A CHANCE FOR, MAY NOW GET YOU ANOTHER UNSCUCCESFUL NOTICE IN THE MAIL OBLIGATING YOU TO ANOTHER YEAR OF APPLICATION HEARTBURN NEXT YEAR!

EXAMPLE I HAVE BEEN STOCKPILING POINTS (POINT SAVERS) FOR THE LAST TEN YEARS IN ORDER TO PUT IN FOR MURDERRERS CREEK. IF GUYS WITH 9-13 POINTS BURN THEM THERE THIS YEAR THE POTENTIAL IS I MAY STILL NOT DRAW IT THIS YEAR.
SEEMS LIKE MAYBE THE SMART THING TO DO IS NOTHING THIS YEAR. DONT PUT IN. LET THE POINTS BURNERS DO THEIR THING THIS YEAR, SAVE $150.00 NOT RECIEVE AN UNSUCCESSFUL CARD AND STILL KEEP YOUR POINTS. THEN LOOK AT IT NEXT YEAR MAYBE THE ODDS MIGHT BE BETTER TO DRAW A DECENT HUNT BECAUSE OF LESS PEOPLE TO BURN POINTS. MAYBE IF ENOUGH OF US DIDN'T PUT IN AT ALL IT MIGHT WAKE UP THE BEANCOUNTERS,(YA RIGHT).
ON THE OTHER HAND IF EVERYONE PUTS IN THIS YEAR TO "BURN" THEIR POINTS. FISH AND WILDLIFE WINS, SAME AMOUNT PUTTING IN SAME AMOUNT GETTING UNSUCCESSFUL CARDS BUT REVENUE UP BECAUSE OF THEIR OBSCENE PRICE HIKES.

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

I'm thinking of waiting it out a year, or maybe two. Probably won't put in for anything this year. Save the $150 like you said. I've got 11 antelope points, only a couple for deer and elk. Odds should be better next year and I'll put in for a hunt that hopefully I can draw with 11 points. I just want to get out of the Oregon draw game. My money would be better spent elsewhere, like Montana. The deer and elk points I'm not worried about, since I only have a couple each. Maybe 10 years from now when I have more money, I'll put them to use.

My advice to a non res with less than max points is this, short of odds like winning powerball you're never going to draw a top tag in Oregon end of story. the lesser units aren't as lesser as you probably think, by other states standards Oregons best hunts are just good hunts. what I'd do rather than junk 12 or 13 points is get a buddy or your wife and go on one of the decent quailty hunts by putting in as a party and sharing your points. we're coming off a mild winter and the cats and wolves are doing great, since we have no managment and no plan it's foolish to think time is on your side by waiting so cut your losses and hunt now.

The odds and the quality in Oregon don't justify the cost, take a decent hunt and get out is what I'd do.

My gawd I hate to agree with dude/440, but he is right. No offense Walty, but I wouldn't chance waiting another year or two. What good does it do to not gain another point by not applying this year. It is pretty simple. You're either all in or out this year (period). You calculate the cost of the points and the tag you want and go from there. Consider the game quality has been going steadily down hill for 10 years, the cost of the tag and it doesn't take a Rocket Hunter to figure Oregon is almost as poor as Washington. Wolves increasing...seasons on wolves in Idaho, Montana, Wyoming and guess where them wolves will be pushed and traveling to????? OR, WA, UT, where ever there isn't a season etc... Oregon wolves are 4 times as thick as what the ODFW will tell you. New packs are discovered monthly..need I go on.GET YOUR OREGON HUNT NOW!!!!!

HK

i somewhat agree. but 1 thing to think about.there might be some valid thought on trying to wait just 1 more year. i daho raised there prices and learned VERY fast that it was a stupid move. so the next year the lowered the prices again. it is very possible oregon could do the same.

but in the end, oregon is the worst state as far as being non-resident friendly anyway. are 5%, at the most, + some units dont even get a non-res tag every other year.

unless your taking advantage of some decent general hunts, or just building points for lesser tags, it will be a long wait. i dont think as a non- resident with under 10 points i'd even try for the top 5 units. it's basically a losing battle.

it's b.s., i have been a non-resident in alot of states. i'm ashamed of how oregon treats them

Back
Top Bottom