2009 Utah Mountain Goat Opinion

K

ktc

I was hoping to get some opinions. My wife is in the max point pool for mountain goats with 14 points. She is almost at the point she can pick and choose her unit with a couple of exceptions. I know Box Elder well, but hear Beaver is best? I also hear some of the Uintah units are very good. After this long she would like to give herself a chance at a book goat. We also have to be able to get horses very close to the animals without a bunch of rotten country.

Knowing this information, which unit(s) should she consider? Aside from Box Elder, could I get some help on the unit for information where they hang and what trails to access them?

If you would rather PM that is okay. I know I am asking a lot, but this is OIL and she is in the bonus pool.

KTC, I think the Beaver has the best access along with the best goats. I am not expert on them by no means, but have always enjoyed watching some very big goats on the Beaver. This is usually done after a four wheeler ride and small hike. Good Luck!

LAST EDITED ON Sep-24-08 AT 02:25PM (MST)[p]We saw some really nice goats up at Red Castle last fall. It's a ways in there for sure..but you have ponies.

Why not have Paul P. keep an eye out from his shop and call you when he spots a good one!

I want to hunt mnt goat really bad. Wish I would have gone for that instead of building moose points...too late to turn back now.

Started pricing out some mnt goat hunts up north...ouch!

I also think Beaver is a good choice. My cousin tagged a dandy up there last year...with a muzzleloader.

geedog,

Red Castle? Where is that? Beaver? I got horses, but is it rotten? I should try to talk Paul into taking her. His is a beauty! I think Paul likes that rotten stuff though? That unit could take 4 more years.

legacy,

Thanks. I bet that was a thrill with a muzz! Just curious, did he ever mention the length or anything? Congrats to your cuz!

It looks like Beaver had 12 applicants for 6 bonus tags. If things stay the same, she would be the 7th applicant for those 6 tags this year. 14 points and only 15 people in Utah left with that many. I tell you guys we have to wait until they have no choice but give us a tag! Ha!

Sweet...good on you!

I have to buddy up with guys like you...so I can go help on some of these LE and OIL hunts...cuz I was looking at my odds this am regarding my 4 elk points and 11 moose points...I'm SCREWED!

KTC,
BEAVER UNIT. I AM TAKING MY COUSIN HUNTING THERE TOMORROW AND ILL LET YOU KNOW HOW WE DO. MY MOM DREW IT A FEW YEARS AGO AND SHE DID WELL. BUT ITS EASY ACCESS AND A LOT OF GOATS. I KNOW THE AREA WELL AND WILL PROVIDE YOU WILL HELP AND EVEN TAKE YOU SCOUTING IF SHE DRAWS.

twister,

I appreciate guys like you. It is just too hard to scout every time and every where. It is nice guys like you step up to help. As did the others on this thread. I say thank you!

Let us know how your cousin does, good luck to him! I will have to talk to you in more detail about your mom's goat.

This may help you in your quest for a unit.

CATEGORY Rocky Mountain Goat, YEARS 2000 to 2008, AWARDS MINIMUM 47, ALL-TIME MINIMUM 50, LOCATION Utah USA

SCORE LOCATION HUNTER OWNER DATE RANK

1. 54 2/8 Duchesne, UT Craig L. Rippen Craig L. Rippen 2006 18

2. 52 2/8 Piute, UT Cloys D. Seegmiller Cloys D. Seegmiller 2002 114

3. 52 Beaver, UT Patrick J. Gilligan Patrick J. Gilligan 2003 151

4. 52 Piute, UT Jimmy J. Liautaud Jimmy J. Liautaud 2006 151

5. 51 6/8 Beaver, UT Troy Christensen Troy Christensen 2001 193

6. 51 Summit, UT James N. McDonald James N. McDonald 2007 351

7. 50 6/8 Beaver, UT Patrick J. Gilligan Patrick J. Gilligan 2002 401

8. 50 2/8 Weber, UT Michael K. Christensen Michael K. Christensen 2005 547

9. 50 Utah, UT John R. Karren John R. Karren 2005 624

10. 50 Utah, UT Kenneth L. Allen Kenneth L. Allen 2004 624

11. 50 Utah, UT Kirk E. Winward Kirk E. Winward 2001 624

12. 48 6/8 Utah, UT John L. Lundin John L. Lundin 2002 796

13. 48 Duchesne, UT John M. Wall John M. Wall 2002 861

14. 47 4/8 Beaver, UT Gary A. Durfee Gary A. Durfee 2005 904

If you look in the current Fair Chase Issue.....you will see another has been added from last season on the Uinta Units.....

Robb

I don't know anything about those white fluffy billy goats but a friend of mine drew the Uinta unit a couple of years ago and damn near died in the process of the hunt. The weather conditions were extreme and the terrain tough. These guys are excellent outdoorsman and were on horseback. 4 of them got lost and spent the night under the stars. They got the goat but came really close to making the ultimate sacrifice for him. That would be enough to make me look at all the other units first before I looked at the Uintas!

It's always an adventure!!!
www.awholelottabull.com

AWLB,

I have talked to some people and by the votes here, Beaver is the unit for a Fluffy Goat. I am thinking very worst case she is 50/50 and probably 80%+ to draw. If she he to spend the night under a saddle and saddle pads I would be dead meat. I will leave the Uintahs to a real man (and woman).;-)

The Beaver has the best access and looking at the record book it is one of the top units. You wouldn't even need your horses up there. I have picture of them walking down the road on that unit. Keep in mind they have really upped the permits on that unit recently. It was 1 for many years and I believe it is 9 now? She would probably have the best experience on this unit I would think.

KTC, been on the Beaver hunting and scouting elk the last 3 yrs. From the four wheeler I saw 60-70 goats with in a mile from the wheeler. I also believe it's one of the easier units with good quality. Good luck.

KTC,
My cousin did very well. I got a picture of his goat i will post but it is on my work computer. Sorry it has taken a while to get back to you. Anyways i was talking to the fish and game and they said they was going to give out more tags on the Beaver Unit for Goats due to over population. I will get a picture up sometime soon! All in all it was a great hunt!

You sure the Uintas are out? Easy 9 mile horese ride and a 10 minute walk, sat down and this dude walked right up to me. ALOT of goats up there!

4907059f35850d53.jpg

490705b835ddd5d0.jpg

How about the Kamas unit? It seems to have good access from the Mirror lake highway. Espacially with horses. But I don't know what the quality of the goats are up there.

FW, awesome pics.....sure looks like Cyclone? I've seen goats up there as well. KT- the east of Highway 150 is highly accessible by horse and easy going, too. I've seen goats in Rocky Sea Pass, Four Lakes Basin and others, and I've gone in on foot.

Might want to consider talking also to Shawn Labrum out in the Basin. He knows goats and knows the units super well. I've found him decent to talk with all in all, I think he guided the last State Record?

KT, you need to talk to PleaseDear. He knows Leidy Peak quite well, and it's very very accessible by horse.....(north slope).

OH, AND CAN I BE ADOPTED INTO THE KTC CLAN FOR THE DRAWS!!

Thanks you guys, but I really need to be honest. I didn't do anything but sit there. He walked up to me, he posed for well over 5 minutes, and i just sat there snapping away with a cheap 4megapixle point-n-shoot camera. Truly one of the coolest experiences I've had. He literally stood 8 yards from me for 3 or 4 minutes, stomping his hoof, snorting, and just trying to figure out if I was a threat. He decided to leave when I walked within 5 yards of him, and even at that he just mossied along.

Here's a few more

4908b4dd1ee08a80.jpg

4908b4f01f68260b.jpg

4908b4fe1fc93c74.jpg

4908b50d20d2206d.jpg

Not only are those great photos. Thats a nice Billy. I'd say that guy is 9 1/2". He has good bases

Thanks for the additional advice. I go away for a bit and you guys are still talking goats!

Great photos!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom