$2000 Reward

eelgrass

Long Time Member
For an original un-manipulated field photo of Roy with a trophy Turtle, during any open turtle season.

To my knowledge, nothing like that has ever existed.

Eel

Roy looks a bit green around the gills in this pic. PM me for my addy to send the check

1574turtle_trophy.jpg

7044image.jpg

I will PM my address

Sorry Roy I know there was a magazine deal but 2k is 2k!

Bill

People who work for a living are quickly being
overwhelmed by people who vote for a living.

Bill, you were close. In fact you missed the money by only 3 days!

That's the Hyde Park Turtle. We (meaning the DWR) have a photo of the Hyde Park Turtle alive and well 3 days AFTER the season closed.

Don't worry, I'm only going to share this photo with a few people.

Eel

LAST EDITED ON Feb-16-14 AT 09:46AM (MST)[p]Eel, you still got it guy!! I don't know when last i've laughed so hard.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Dammit Eel!!

Why is DFW at my front door?

I hope they just leave, I can only hide behind the couch for so long.

Roy text me about an hour ago and said they'll never take him alive. He didn't go down on running red lights and he won't go down for this!

Gotta go!!!

Bill

LAST EDITED ON Feb-16-14 AT 11:26AM (MST)[p]Bill, I'm sure you're in the clear because you just took the photo. It's not your responsibility to know the season dates.

No reason for you to go down for what Roy did.

Eel

Haha.

Hey Eel I sent ya a PM.

Bill

Well, first of all, if any of you really know me, you will know that I haven't been that skinny since I wrestled at 171 lbs in 1991. Second, you will also know that even though that is a passable snapper for a road hunter like Eel, but it is hardly the caliber of turtle that I would classify as a "trophy".

I have told you before, the pics of my World Record Desert Devil Terrapin, inculding the shell and skull, were confiscated by the Federal government pending an investigation due to the Terrapin's proximity to Area 51. I have received confirmation that those will be being released to me in the near future. I also have another photo that I can post, but not from my work computer. You will have to keep on waiting.

Oh, and I am not "on the run". When I texted huntindad, I said, "LOL - funny pic. Nice little dink snapper - I will text you back, gotta run." He made a little more out of that than what was intended. Too funny. Some people are just so jealous...

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/

LAST EDITED ON Feb-17-14 AT 02:55PM (MST)[p]I thought turtle baiting was against the law, sorta like running a red light? What do you have to say for yourself, Roy?

turtlebaiting.png

BTW, I think Roy is a serial turtle poacher.

stillmoreturtles.jpg

Those are pics of my grandpa!! Thanks - the family thought they had lost them! That was back in the day when they only feared the truly big ones! All these tortoises were alive, a couple of them still are!

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

Yep, that's Roy's grandpa. That's how Roy got his start.

The bottom photo is the early days of the family operation. It was called "Trophy Turtle Hunts and Petting Zoo". His grandpa is rubbing growth hormone into the shells to get the quality up to hunting standards.

Eel

8653image.jpg

This is a statue of Roy's Grandpa after he gained a few pounds(runs in the family) it sits outside of the family high fence operation.

6439image.jpg

They have a stellar breeding program as well as primo medical care. The turtle with the wheel is one of the ones in the pics above of Roy's grandpa.

3541image.jpg

This last pic is the one that got the magazine deal. Roy's pride and joy.

8230image.jpg

Please no comments about high fence and lack of sportsmanship or ethics. Roy's a plick so he don't give a chit!

Bill

Almost forgot Eel.....

Show me the MONEY!

Bill

LAST EDITED ON Feb-18-14 AT 09:01AM (MST)[p]Well, I was VERY clear about this when I sent Huntindad4 this pic. He asked (and I QUOTE!):

"Hey Roy, do you got any good giant turtle pics from recent hunts?"

To which I replied:

"Here's a pic of an absolute MONSTER Giant Redwood Terrapin that Eelgrass took last spring off of the Redwood National Park hunt he got from the WTF auction tag. Kind of an Antelope Island kind of canned hunt - not necessarily my style, but guiding Eel on it was fun and seeing the joy on his face was worth it even though is is as close to rinky-dink high fence hunting as you can get. The hunt took a grand total of 32 minutes. Eel never even buckled his belt after stepping away from the breakfast buffet at the lodge. The turtle walked right out into the main meadow just past the visitors center and Eel blasted 19 shots at it from a dead rest off the ramp - never even got out of his Jazzy. Not really a "hunt" but nevertheless, a great trophy and he paid his money, so I was more than happy to serve as his "guide" i.e. tag facilitator / aiming helper (had to help him point the rifle in the right direction 3 times. LOL)."

Where huntindad4 got the idea that this was MY kill when there is so much documented proof that it was in fact Eel's, is beyond my wildest imaginations."

HOOK 'EM!

LAST EDITED ON Feb-18-14 AT 10:58AM (MST)[p]Roy, I thought we were friends??? Did Bill really need to know all those details? Besides, I don't remember leaving my belt unbuckled.

Eel

Now it all makes sense. There was no magazine deal! Hell theres probably no such thing as Texas Awesome Tortoise Association or their magazine (TATA).

Eel I swear Roy told me he killed that beast! Told me not to share the pic because of a deal with TATA.

ROY I figured since we were both Broncos fans that I could trust you.

Sorry Eel I hadn't seen the thread on your trophy hunt or I would never have posted the pic.

I was trying to figure out a turtle hunt of my own a d was asking Roys advice when he told me of TATA and his giant tortoise.

Bill

I usually don't get involved in such petty arguments but I was sent this photo from an unnamed source who says the guy in the photo is Roy. Correct me if I am wrong but isn't night hunting the Greater Southeastern Grey Leatherback Sand Turtle illegal? Or was this taken during a depredation hunt because the turtle in question was terrorizing villagers? I'm sure Roy can clarify if this is indeed him in the picture.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb37/Feleno/TurtlePhoto_zpsa4acce5e.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

There is a season for the Southeastern Grey Leatherback F'er but the season ended October 27th. I saw that turtle entering the water November 2nd!!! Well, I didnt, but a friend did, and he said it had a notch in its left front flipper! Roy had to have poached it!!!

GUILTY!!!!!

I saw that turtle 10 days after the close of season! Well at least the tip of his left front flipper. If you look closely you can see a notch out of it. Thats where Eel nicked him last year which was the last time he was seen off the preserve. I know for a FACT that beast hasnt left the preserve ALL HIS LIFE aside from that one day!

If I dont see kill sight pics with a background outside of the preserve in legal hours with a newspaper showing to prove a date. Oh and we all know you can change meta data so forget faking that chit Roy.

Bill

Feleno, I was ready to write you the check. Well, actually I put the money in a trust account with Founder. I was ready to give the OK, but now there appears to be some questions that need to be answered.

I got a PM from one MM member who said that he read on the internet that this turtle was poached. He said that he would be willing to testify in court as to what he read. It sounds like an open and shut case to me, because that is rock solid evidence.

Eel

FACT...that turtle never swam across the buoy line! Huntindad and I are all you need for a conviction! Some guys are going to look like fools soon!

You boys got me worried with all this dirt on Roy. I gotta admit I like him but geez things aren't looking to good for him at the moment. And now the rumors Doyle might have spotted the turtle on the beach that afternoon, called Roy and he jumped on the next plane out of town. Again, just a rumor but seems there might be a paper trail to follow.

>LAST EDITED ON Feb-18-14
>AT 10:58?AM (MST)

>
>Roy, I thought we were friends???
>Did Bill really need to
>know all those details? Besides,
>I don't remember leaving my
>belt unbuckled.
>
>Eel

Sorry Eel, it was all going to come out in the video anyway. We can still be friends, I bear you no anomisity, truthfully!

HOOK 'EM!

LAST EDITED ON Feb-19-14 AT 09:49AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Feb-19-14 AT 09:33?AM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Feb-19-14 AT 09:18?AM (MST)

Since the photo has now leaked, I might as well tell the story. This is my 2012 Southwest Florida Gray Leatherback Devil Sand Turtle ML hunt. Accompanying me on the hunt was my brother, my nephew (my sister's kid "K3"), my good buddy and his son too. This was a complete DIY, public land, LE hunt. I started applying for the hunt in 1991 when I lived in Miami and it took me 21 years to draw but I finally did! The Hunt started on September 16th and lasted until January 5th - the only times of the year when the turtle population is not either mating, nesting, or hatching. This is also the time of year when the the turtles are most aggressive, because they have no other concerns and the only thing on their mind is mayhem and murder. To say the least they are bloodTHIRSTY!

The FDWR regulates this hunt very strictly and every hunter is actually accompanied by a FDWR representative the whole hunt. Since there are only 5 tags granted every 2 years, they are able to accomplish this quite easily. Each moment of the hunt is carefully documented and the documents are then registered with the State Legislature and become public documents. So, if you really want to know the whole story, contact the Florida State Legislature Wildlife Regulation Department and you can find all the nitty gritty details.

Since it was such a long hunt, I won't bore you with all of the details, but I will say this, we started on opening morning and hunted every day from dawn untill dusk and we didn't even see any sign of a turtle until October 5th.

Finally, on October 10th, in the late afternoon, we spotted this turtle from about five miles away, stalking a manatee. As we stalked to within a mile, we were able to see the whole vicious attack. It was a scene of violence and gore that would make Saddam Hussein disgusted! But, it is this raw brutality that makes nature so beautiful to us. It inspires us, it challenges us, and I knew at that moment, I was destined to pursue this worthy quarry.

Inspite of the inherent danger the situation now presented, we decided however to take a chance and I began the hunt!

I stalked in to within 700 yards and by the time I had covered that distance, there was less than an hour of light left and I knew I had to get in place for a shot quickly or we would lose him forever. He had just fed, and would now be travelling over 1300 miles without stopping.

I also knew that I was going to be taking the biggest risk of my life, as his senses were now razor sharp and if he detected me within 300 yards, I wouldn't have time to react before he attacked and I would be shredded to pieces by his razor-like beak and crushed like an old Olymipia beer can in his massive, vice-like jaws.

So, with all that in mind, I nervously began my stalk. Because the Florida regulations for a muzzleloader are so stringent that not even peep-sights are allowed, I knew I needed to be within 100 yards to be accurate with my eyes through the simple open sights.

Crouching and moving only when I could see his beak move, hoping the crushing of the bones would cover my sounds, I manuevered from bush to bush, and I closed the distance to 250 yards as the light began to fade.

Crawling through the sawgrass for the last 150 yards, and unable to use an electronic rangefinder as it is banned on this particular hunt per Florida State Primitive Weapon Hunt statutes, I hoped I was judging the distance carefully and felt that I was right at 90 yards.

Very carefully, I eased my rifle up to my shoulder and as silently as I possibly could, took my aim.

With the terror of his beak and jaws squarely in my line of vision, and my front post alligned perfectly between the back posts, I held precisely at the front edge of his shell, where the fleshy part of his neck meets the main part of his body, I slowly eased the hammer back, when to my utter horror, I heard it make the slightest, almost imperceptible squeak. Almost imperceptible - but not to the keen senses of this great beast of both land and sea.

Immediately it turned its head in my direction and fixed its steely eyes upon me. Narrowing ever so slightly, the wicked black pupils perceived my camoflauged form in the tall grass and without hesitation or warning he attacked with a fury and speed that makes the humming bird's wingbeat appear sluggish and clumsy.

As he covered the short distance splashing water and mud with every stroke of his great clawed flippers I felt my heart sink in my chest and I said a silent prayer of pleading for mercy and a quick end. In that instant the thought crossed my mind that I hoped he broke my neck with his beak before he used it to feed on my guts before my heart quit beating.

But, my fine-tuned survival instincts kicked in and I felt the rifle become one with my shoulder and I could no longer tell where steel and wood began and flesh ended. I had only one target on which to focus.

As his great maw gaped and a blood-curdling cry pierced the air, I placed the sights squarely on the back his throat and squeezed the trigger, touching the powder off just as I felt the first drops of spray falling on my face.

I faintly heard the blast of the powder as the turtle's bellowing rage reached its apex and then, as suddenly as it started - silence.

The smell of cordite and black powder hung heavily on the air and when the cloud drifted away on the breeze towards the Gulf of Mexico, the great beast's form materialzed just inches from my face.

The shot had pierced the top of his throat and the slug had severed his spine, expending its energy into the fibrous flesh of his neck, and lodging just beneath the tough first layer of dermis and cartilage-like connective tissue, just beneath the greater inner shell.

He gasped two last futile breaths, expelling his foul, rotten-flesh lung air directly into my face then lay silent and motionless. He was dead, and the sun was just then sinking halfway over the blue Gulf horizon.

So, the work began in the remaining half light. Before we were able to take any pictures, the FDWR Biologist who accompanied us took all of the necessary measurements and documented all the details of the kill site, thus certifying the hunt.

We enjoyed the moment, took our photos, and slapped each other on the back and shared a few hugs and congratulations. The next few hours were dedicated to taking care of the the meat and the shell, so my mind was occupied. But, when we got back to the lodge that had now became our home, the totality of the experience overcame me and the nausea from the sudden adrenaline rush gripped me violently. Puking and trembling, I felt weak and broken as I crawled into that bed. I could only thank God that he had seen fit to preserve my life yet again, for one more day, one more experience, and perhaps just one more magnificent turtle hunt.

HOOK 'EM!!

I believe ya Roy. I think those other guys are just plain bad hunters.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

LAST EDITED ON Feb-19-14 AT 04:12PM (MST)[p]That story does have a ring of truth to it. I also have to admit that Roy has a passion for turtle hunting unmatched in modern times.

A search of the records in Florida does not show anyone named Roy who drew in the past 20 years. There is a DoubleShell, which might be Roy.

Anyhow, I PMed Founder and told him to release the money to Feleno. Congratulations Feleno!

Eel

Edit: Feleno, I left out one thing. Founder said to tell you DO NOT CONTACT HIM. He has your address and will send it out when he's ready. Maybe if he doesn't draw the tag and gets a refund check. But if you ever contact him the deal is automatically off.

I have no control over that, and did not know that until just now. It should be fine though.

This thread is outrageous! I've known Roy his entire life and will swear to his honesty and integrity as a world class turtle hunter. Not everyone takes field photos, and Roy couldn't care less if you believe him or not.

I truly believe that all of you are jealous of Roy's success, especially you eelgrass!

DS

Okay so heres the latest.

Other than me seeing that hawgs left front flipper well after the season there are several others who know him well who had seen him long after me!

I have contacted FDWR and they are very interested in any pics after season.

I also consulted the investigating officer on how to proceed with the investigation. You know because I know more than him about HIS job. I used to be a building inspector and I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

A lot of people are gonna be eating their words around here.

Bill

LOL

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom