2 Desert Bighorns

C

couesfever

This past season we were lucky to be able to hunt desert sheep with two hunters in the same unit. We have hunted in this unit around 11 times. A couple of weeks before the season we rode in on mules and set two spike camps. I would be hunting out of the East camp and my partner would be in the West camp. We set a base camp so we would have some support when we killed rams. we would check in with base camp daily to see how each other was doing.

010105_SterlingLeavitt46BRam_2675.jpg

010105_SterlingLeavitt46BRam_2676.jpg

010105_SterlingLeavitt46BRam_2674.jpg

The day before the season we rode back in and got our camps set up. The big rock acts as our fridge.

010105_SterlingLeavitt46BRam_2670.jpg

BuckLeavittsRam_Jan012005_7210.jpg

BuckLeavittsRam_Jan012005_7200.jpg

BuckLeavittsRam_Jan012005_7201.jpg

The first day of hunting was slow going. We only saw one ewe and lamb and one ram that we only saw for a short time. On the second day of hunting my hunter and I was able to take a great ram. It was one of those quick spots and judge fast. Not really what I like to do on a sheep hunt but this ram wasnt one that needed a second look.

BuckLeavittsRam_Jan012005_7192.jpg

BuckLeavittsRam_Jan012005_7170.jpg

BuckLeavittsRam_Jan012005_7173.jpg

We called base camp that night and told them the good news and to send the cowboy taxi's. The next morning we rode out. That night at camp we got a call from the West camp. They had taken a ram that morning while we were riding out. We couldnt hardly believe it when they told us how big of ram they had taken. We were all on cloud nine.

IMG_0024.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

Two big rams in two days.
http://www.highdesertoutfitters.blogspot.com/

Pretty dang cool thread ya got here!

Nice basecamp set-up.

Good idea on the Solar fridge....

Mules instead of quads----'Old School' hunting at it's best. ha

Couple of dandy Rams too!

Thanks for sharing---

Robb

Definitely agree with Robb on everything he said!!! That's the way I would definitely choose to hunt and you all have my admiration and a big Congratulations!!!

Arizona is producing some slammer rams!
Great job boys!
I too love the "rock fridge" and mode of transport.
Thanks for sharing and Congratulations.

Someone said "it doesn't have to be a long hunt to be a good hunt" Jack Britiingham, I think.

Congratulations on a couple dandy rams in short-order. You must have done your homework! 1 ram is, well, maybe luck, but 2 has to be your skill! Good job and well done.

I love the improvised fridge also. Camp looks very comfy. I've only had a couple sheep camp with that much "swank". Every other time our camps have been quite spartanesque.

Zeke

Holy Bighorn Backstraps......what a super great pair of rams. Well done.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

Right on Jason and congrats to everybody on two really nice rams. Graet post.

Gun control is a good aim and a steady rest

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom