1x scopes opinions?

COLOelkman

Very Active Member
I'm looking for opinions on 1x scopes for a muzzy hunt in UT this fall. I'm not sure if a "dot" scope vs a fine crosshair scope would be a better/more accurate choice. Ideally, I'm hoping to be able to shoot comfortably at 150 yds.

Since I will likely only use this one season, then sell it, since I can't use it here in CO.

Any recommended scopes in either type would be appreciated since I've never even looked at either one. I'm also not sure if I will find them around Denver since they aren't legal for muzzy here and I'd guess they have limited use otherwise. New territory for me so I'd appreciate any experience you'd be willing to share!

Just a suggestion, but you may want to try a good quality peep sight. Williams offers some and you can get different size apertures. Some have gold outer rings to help with low light. I tried a 1X scope (I think it was a T/C) about 15 to 20 years ago. Was right on for target shooting but when I had a decent buck at about 125 yards in a group of deer I could not pick that particular buck out through the scope. With the naked eye I could tell which buck I wanted, but when I looked through the scope I could not tell which one he was as they mingled around. With a good peep I am able to keep great groups out to 200 yards.

Bill

Thanks Bill - I've always shot open sights and shoot fairly well with it. The one advantage of a scope that several people told me is that in low light, a decent scope will allow you to shoot further than with open sights. Considering I wear mild prescription glasses, I'm just guessing that a scope might be more accurate. For me, sighting in with my current sights, the front bead covers most of a 6" circle. I can shoot 3" groups @ 100 but I'd like to practice out to 150 and I'm just not sure I'd be able to see a target very well at that distance (even 100 yds is sometimes difficult) with open sights. Maybe I need new glasses which doesn't help the focus on the sights. So I'm leaning towards a scope but not 100% certain yet.

I've got a fixed 4x scope on my muzzleloader. It allows for longer shots and the low light benefits you describe. Plus, it's a fairly short length....I've only managed to cut my eyebrow once....

I have gone through this battle myself, scope or red dot. A good friend shot a 1x for two years and hated it. He said at times it seemed that the deer (elk, etc) looked farther away when he looked through the scope. He also complained about the low light gathering. I dont remember the brand, but it was not a cheap $50 scope. I have only shot a red dot on my muzzles. I love it in the low light because you can turn the dot on very low power and its right there. With the dot, most ballistics will allow you to hold right on the animal from 0-150 yards and still hit the vitals, maybe holding slightly high at 150 to compensate for a 6-8 inch drop. I sight mine in dead on at 100. My friend is going red dot this year. Just my 2 cents.

What brand/model red dot do you shoot? I've seen either cheap ones or ~$500 ones. I assume you'd want a 2 MOA to be most accurate? It's hard when you can't look at them side by side which is one obstacle I'm finding here in CO.

I currently use a Truglo, but may dad uses the Bushnell with the changeable reticle. Mine is a 4min dot. If you can find a 2 min that would be ideal, but again depends on price. If hou are only using it once I would look af the Bushnell in the$ 125 range. Make sure you get an extra battery so when you put it in the truck overnight and forget to turn it off you wont be stuck. Neither myself or my dad have had any problems with these scopes holding zero.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom