1st safari planning

Bowdeadly

Hello folks, I'm planning my very 1st safari , would you all recommend going to SC I show in Vegas and booking or just go off Internet research . If anyone has any recommendations that will be great.
List would include Kudu, wildebeast, impala, zebra, Nuala, springbok and a Sable if the price is right. Thanks.
Regards, Geno

I have gone on 4 safaris and have never gone to SCI so you should be able to do internet research and get it figured out. SCI I think would be over kill for a first safari.

You can really buy safaris in 2 ways: as a package or day rates plus trophy fees. Given your list I would try to find a Sable package and build around that. Also you need to decide what type of Kudu you want, eastern cape are smaller and cheaper and there is the southern greater which are bigger and more expensive. I can give you some pointers on researching, just feel free to PM me.

You definitely don't need to go to SCI or DSC conventions to find and book a hunt. There are two forums that have so much information that you could easily do research and find a great hunt all from the comfort of home and without the expense of traveling to a show, save that money for an extra animal. So much of any suggestion on where to hunt would be dependent on your budget.

For everything on your list, South Africa eastern cape would probably be the best choice as you could do them all with one Outfitter which would be the cheapest solution as well. Namibia is fantastic for everything on your list except for nyala and Sable. It'd be difficult to find nyala there but it is doable. Sable and nyala would both be transplants to Namibia. I don't know what the severe drought has done to the hunting there though.

No need to go to that show anyway over priced and just some guys who like to brag a bunch.

You wanting to bow hunt in Africa or rifle and bow. The market is as good as I have seen in years to go to Africa now. I am going for my 7th trip just booked airfare. If you want send me a Pm and I can point you in the right directs from flights to getting stuff back home and all in between

besthunt.co.za

My good buddy Andre Viljoen. I've hunted with him 3 times (soon to be 4) and many folks from my area have hunted with him multiple times. Very small operator with numerous places to hunt. drop him a note.

If you want to do your first trip to South Africa you can pick up trips there really cheap through all of the fundraising auctions going on right now.

I would make sure you did alot of research on the outfitter first before buying on an auction...also check their price list, as they do the auctions as a leader loser and plan to make up for it when you get there and shoot additional animals.

For researching areas, animals, and PH's you couldn't ask for a better deal than this. Have 54 African Safari hunting DVD's (value $2000) for sale right now for $300 total. Covers all countries and both Plains Game and Dangerous Game. Shipping included.

I always tell newcomers to focus on the experience they want first, then the specific animals, and finally the outfitter / PH.

There is no question that RSA has the least expensive hunts, and a huge variety of animals. However, this is because (in most cases) the animals have been farmed from introduced animals, and raised to be hunted. Think hunting some of the very nice Texas exotic ranches. This RSA hunt is what most people do for their first trip. (Myself included.)

If you pick an outfitter and give him a list of animals like you stated above, you will almost certainly travel to 3 or more ranches to hunt various species on different days. Several of the animals on your list are very rarely found on the same ranch. This can be very productive, but for some it detracts from the "wild" experience. Ranches can be relatively small (maybe 10K+ acres), perhaps an hour or two apart on the highway, and game densities high. Success rates are very high.

You can also expect to find very nice camps in much of RSA, and perhaps some days trips to national parks, city shopping, etc. For families, this can be great.

Another option is to pick an entirely different experience, say plains game hunting in Namibia or Zambia, for example. You are more likely to hunt a single property in these countries, some so large you will likely never drive from one end to the other in a single day. (well over 100K acres). In many cases you could hunt 90% of the animals on your list on one ranch, but probably not all. Is the list really important, or the experience? Camps are often great here as well, but probably remote from towns and other "attractions".

I do think talking to outfitters at DSC or the HuntExpo is helpful. You get quite a different feel for each PH. I don't recommend SCI when shopping for plains game hunts. Wrong crowd.

Feel free to PM me with additional questions. I am going on my 12th African safari this summer with my wife. We've done each of the options mentioned above, including some far more specialized and exotic hunts (elephant, leopard, etc.). They all have their charms, but each experience is different.

Bill

Add me to the list of people to pm with questions. Africa is my favorite place in the world. Planning another trip right now.

If you have a chance go to sci. Face to face is worth a bunch in my book.

Went on my first trip last year, going back again in 2021. There is a good forum that should not be hard to find, I'd start there looking at the hunting reports. The good outfitters typically have several positive reviews, and no negative.
Hunting SA is not like hunting the western US. There's fences everywhere, and the game populations will blow your mind. I picked a smaller, family run place that had large properties, and just had fun. It's kind of like hunting on steroids. Some species are pretty easy to get, and others more wary. In my experience, the animals were not tame, but not hunted hard, and there's so many compared to here. It's a blast and the best value out there.

I will also tell you to watch out taking info from guys who may have only hunted with one place. They know what they are told or did with one outfit. So your hearing a one sided reference. I know very few people who have hunted Africa who does not think they had the best time ever but what are they comparing that to. Most hunts are always great and with a little home work hard to have a bad hunt. It is about getting a great hunt and a great price so you can get the best for your money. Hope the search is going well

my 2 cents, attend the western hunting expo in SLC, Utah instead of the SCI show. 2019's show had some amazing deals on entry level plains game packages, many captured several of the animals on your list. Meet the outfitters in person and discuss the details of the properties, accommodations, how many in camp etc. Yes they are almost all high fence in RSA. Don't be fooled by i have 100K acres, although they may have access to 100K as stated before those properties could be hours apart. Like others have said, decide on the type of hunt you want first and then research outfitters that can meet your needs. Feel free to PM and i can give you some details from my last few experiences and my upcoming, April 2020 trip.

I’ll second what BillC says about being wary of recommendations from people who’ve only been on 1 safari or even several hunts with only 1 safari operator. They simply lack a comparative base of experience to make an informed recommendation. Llama packer also gives you some good advice, you’d do well to read his post again and consider his comments. One other thing, having been on 6 safaris to 5 different countries, I kind of break options down first as, there is South Africa (to a lesser degree, you can include Namibia and Botswana PG hunts) and there is the rest of Africa. Big difference between South Africa and say, Zambia or Tanzania (where my last 2 safaris have been). I’m probably in the minority, but I’ll take a hunt in wild country on a big, unfenced concession over a SA ranch hunt every time. Of course, on the downside, those hunts are more expensive.

Take your time, do lots of research, lean toward advice from guys with more extensive experience and then go have a great time. Safari number 6 just ended in December and details for #7 were just finalized at SCI (another buffalo hunt, this one in Zimbabwe with Alan Vincent) for May of 2021. Already thinking about what #8 is going to be (either Masailand in Tanzania or Lord Derby Eland in Cameroon, with Alan Vincent no matter which it ends up being).

one final thought... give serious consideration to going through an experienced, quality booking agent. There are some damn good ones out there who can steer you right, at no additional cost to you. A couple who come to mind are Mark Young of Mark’s Exclusive Adventures and Jack or Keith Atcheson of Jack Atcheson & Sons. They’ve ‘been there, done that’ for many years. Both know who good safari operators are, and just as importantly, ones to stay away from.

Can't say I agree with all the booking agent talk. I help guys but no booking agent and it does cost you as a hunter over going direct. They make 15% or more off you on the service they do. If you have common sense and do your homework most PH's will work a better deal for same safari over using an agent. They have there place but don't fall for it does not cost you something.

I agree with ask around and get references, and dont take the word of someone who has only hunted with 1 guy. I have yet to hunt with the same PH/outfitter twice. Just didnt target animals. But make sure you talk to guys who got their taxidermy back, anyone who just hunted with them only sort of counts. Problems usually happen with the dip/pack/taxidermy and the accompanying paperwork.

South Africa is great for a first trip and I would recommend Limpopo, as South African Airways cancelled flights to the Eastern Cape and full work around is not in place for hunters. Limpopo is a 2 to 3 hour drive.

I also agree with the hunt wild places if you can, if not ask about the size of the property, it will make a difference in your experience.

It is funny when you see what means something to one person but zero to another. Never got a reference for any of the first five places I hunted with and only exchange email. New place this year just emails once again. Going on my 7th trip and no problems at all knock on wood. I go with my gut feeling and it has been right. Just ask your self you think anyone is going to give you a bad reference to talk with. Plus that does not mean it is the right place for you. Direct questions to the outfitter about the hunt they I weed threw them and pick.

A lot of good info for any guys looking for booking there first trip though on this thread and different ways to make a plan

Bill, I agree that doing one’s own research is important, but getting recommendations is too... provided the recommendations are coming from someone who has some experience and understanding of African hunting.

It used to be simpler 30 or more years ago, when there were far fewer options and people who’d actually been there. Back when I planned my 1st Safari in the early 1980’s, there were some local hunters who’d been on a few safaris, but none of them had much experience beyond South Africa. I wanted better information, so contacted Lynn Castle, who was an Alaskan outfitter with vast experience Across many African hunts. He only gave me 2 names, Hugo Saia of Namibia if I just wanted a plains game hunt, and Peter Johnstone of Zimbabwe if I wanted to hunt dangerous game. Those turned out to be fantastic recommendations. Hugo and Peter are now retired, but both are icons among African PH’s. I ended up going with Peter Johnstone’s company, Rosslyn Safaris and had an absolutely grand safari. I took a very full bag over 24 days that included a bull elephant, leopard and 2 buffalo bulls As well as some excellent plains game.

The point I’m trying to make is that doing one‘s own extensive research is very important, but if you have access to people with solid experience, those guys can be one of your best resources. Sorry for the long winded post, but I hope the example helps newbies better understand how to go about finding an excellent safari.

Thanks fellas for all the replies, I know a few of you sent me PM but my account had to be reset so I lost every PM in my inbox. I will get with a few of you soon for more info.
I like the spiral horn package of Kudu, Eland, Nyala and bushbuck. Then maybe I can slay some "pop ups" like impala and zebra would be nice. I've also been looking at flights but they don't books that far in advance. Was thinking May 2021 would be great for kudu Rut action. Any more info is welcomed. Thanks fellas.
Regards, Geno

Just remember there is two ways to do the slam in SA you have great kudu and Limpopo bushbuck which on avg run bigger but cost more then the east cape kudu and cape bushbuck.

This year my airfare to natal were you could do the slam cost me 1350 on emirates using a travel agent. Not going through jo-berg this way but you will need to use a rifle service for permits since not going through jo-berg that cost 150 but worth it to take your own guns.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom