1st Elk in OTC

HuntLife17

For those familiar with 1st rifle elk hunts, I was curious if your tactics change in units that are also OTC rifle? Living and hunting in PA my whole life, I am all too familiar with an obscene number of hunters hitting the limited public land in my area once rifle season opens up. However, I am considering putting in for a 1st rifle tag in an OTC unit in 2025 but would like to get the most bang for the points I’ll be burning (don’t we all though). Anyway, didn’t know if anyone could comment on their experience on a hunt like this and whether they would recommend 1st in OTC vs focusing on a hunt in a unit that is all limited draw? I have yet to take a bull and would be tickled with an opportunity at one so am currently focusing on a unit that has historically be managed for opportunity vs trophy. My primary concern would be OTC hunters flooding the unit early to scout during 1st season. Appreciate an insight you all may have.

All 1st rifle is draw. No OTC. Some units issue more tags than others. Eastern/ Midwest hunting is not always the best comparison to out west. Animal density is often way way way less. So a few guys in a 1000 acre drainage might be too many. Good luck plenty of people tag out in Co, plenty go home with memories which is fine too

Appreciate the response. I should have been more clear in my question. It was more along the lines of potential pressure differences during 1st season hunts in gmus that have 2nd and 3rd rifle seasons that are OTC vs those that are 2nd and 3rd draw.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Back
Top Bottom