1986 f250

D

Droptine45

I was looking at a 1986 Ford f250 with a 460 4x4 for a wood hauling truck. I found on on Craigs list for 2,500 and got him down to 1,500. The truck has 15000 miles on it, new tires but has some problems. Rear fuel tank is not functional and has a small leak on the rear main seal. I'm just looking for some advice the only bad thing some one told me is the 460 is hard on automatic transmissions. So if any one has one or has had one please let me know. Also what I should look for before I buy it.
Thanks guys.

15,000 miles or 150,000 miles?

FORD Use-Ta-Could build a decent Transmission like the C-6
Just depends on what kind of care/maintenance it's had?
In their day the F-250's with 460's were good trucks but against an automatic were rather Thirsty!
Remember when gas was Cheap?Them were the Big Block days!

I'd ask him how long it's been parked?That never helps a vehicle out!
I have a couple of big blocks,one is parked & the other one is drove on occaision,with Gas going up again I might park both of them!:D

God is Great!
Life is Good!
And People are Crazy!
I love not acting my age,
Damn I love my NASCAR race,
And Hell yes I love my Truck!

LAST EDITED ON Nov-14-10 AT 10:53AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Nov-14-10 AT 10:53?AM (MST)

Sorry its @ 150,000 miles. No idea how long its been parked he got it 2 months ago.

That's quite a drop from $2500 down to $1500. If you're in no hurry wait for county or Forest Service auctions. They usually have some decent trucks and maybe maintenance records to look over.

If the rear main seal isn't leaking real bad I wouldn't worry about it just for hauling wood!

They were good trucks in their day!
I personally prefer a stick with 4:10 gears behind a 460!

God is Great!
Life is Good!
And People are Crazy!

Looks like it'd make a good wood hauler!

I'd give her a good test drive & check the 4X4 out too!

God is Great!
Life is Good!
And People are Crazy!

Yeah, i'm no FORD guy but if she's mechanically sound, for a wood truck and shorts hauls, looks like a pretty good deal at $1500.

Good luck with whatever rig you pick!!

Joey

dang....looks just like the truck that dumped a couch and 3 recliners at the end of my driveway last week....ask him if he's been to Pumpkin Center, ca in the last week...

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

>dang....looks just like the truck that
>dumped a couch and 3
>recliners at the end of
>my driveway last week....ask him
>if he's been to Pumpkin
>Center, ca in the last
>week...

Cool, looks like the guy found the place......best $20 I ever spent.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

We've got 2 of them...but both are Manual transmissions...we do a lot of hauling horses and I do my firewood hauling with mine...ours are 88&89 models...they are built out of something too...not like these expensive tin cans nowadays..

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom