1894 Victorial home tree

RELH

Long Time Member
LAST EDITED ON Dec-21-12 AT 09:09PM (MST)[p]At the time the victorian home was built, the original owners of the farm also planted a walnut tree to the right of the house at a distance of 50 feet. This tree has a Claro, black walnut, root stock with English walnut graft.
The tree is appox 90-100 feet in height and the arborist who worked on the tree stated that it is the first walnut tree in the surronding 4 counties that he was not able to get his 20 ft. tape all the way around the tree.

This tree shades the house during the sumner afternoon, and for this reason my father-in-law turned down a $15,000.00 offer to buy the tree by a gun stock business in the area.

There is a second Bastogne walnut tree in the rear of the house that is almost as big as this tree in front. In the photo my 12 year old grandson is standing in front of the tree.

9285000_4114.jpg

That's a lot of gunstocks RELH. That tree is an amazing specimen and a pretty fine looking grandson you've got there. Have a great Xmas.

for some reason i was kinda hoping to see the actual tree? the bottom 4 feet is pretty awesome...

That's the bottom 10 feet, those orange trees in the background are 50 years old and 25' in height.

RELH

Robert, is that white mark on the tree at your Grandsons head the results of previous "High water marks" from flooding?? Or is it a white wash to keep the bugs etc away??

Calico Hardwoods who buy a lot of stumps around northern Ca for stocks etc has their plant about 3 miles from my house here.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

>That's a lot of gunstocks RELH.
>That tree is an amazing
>specimen and a pretty fine
>looking grandson you've got there.
>Have a great Xmas.

I was thinking the same thing.

So RELH?

To Say:'You've got Wood'!

Would be an Understatement?:D:D:D

If I had Listened!
I wouldn't be here today Living & Dieing with the Choices I've made!

Kilowatt, that white mark is where I spray painted the undercut line for falling. I heard a car comming down the lane so had to leave in a hurry. I'll be back.

Eel

Kilo that white mark is the white wash that was painted on the tree many many years ago. Where that tree and house sits is 40 feet higher then the surounding land area which will protect it in the event of a levee break, unless the levee breaks directly in front of the house.

At about 40 feet from the base the tree branches off into two main branches. Those two branches are 6 feet in Dia.

Eel my grandson is now protecting that tree with his new 7mm-08 rifle. Tread lightly my friend.

In the past, some of the branches were getting to close to the house and my wife's father feared they may break off and damage the house. So that Portagee farmer would go out with his 300 Weatherby rifle and shoot the limb about half way back to drop it before it got to close to damage the house.

Mom finally convinced him to spend a little money to hire a arborist to trim it back to prevent him from possibly killing the tree by shooting branches off.

RELH

It would be a lowball offer today. That offer was made around 1985. The big money is not offered by gunstock makers, Japanese veneer manufactors will usually offer far more as they have a high profit margin on making the thin veneers.

Needless to say, at the first sign the tree is dying, it will be sold, but not before then.

RELH

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom