$1500 Budget on Spotting Scope

S

slammer

I am looking to spend $1500 max on a new spotter. It will be used mostly on backpack hunts. For this reason, I am leaning toward less weight so a 60mm or 65mm scope is preferred.

Like everyone else, I am looking for something really sharp, rugged and with a good warranty.

Thanks.

Nikon Fieldscope ED 60mm...excellent glass--- about 2.5 lbs

I love that thing, my primary workhorse...wouldn't trade er!

I would say swarovski 65mm, but I think that's a little over 1500 depending on where you get it... I got one and love it, was between the swaro for 1400 n the nikon fieldscope ED for 1100 so I went with the swaro for just 300 more. But I hear the nikon is a good scope for the money...

After all the talk on here about the Nikon Fieldscope I started doing my research on that scope. Check out this bird forum, they are very unhappy with the durability of the Fieldscope, though some feel the glass may be better since it is ED. I hadn't heard the bad reviews about the Fieldscope, but thought I would offer some other opinions for everyone's information.

http://www.birdforum.net/archive/index.php/t-164786.html

Grizzly

>I would say swarovski 65mm, but
>I think that's a little
>over 1500 depending on where
>you get it... I got
>one and love it, was
>between the swaro for 1400
>n the nikon fieldscope ED
>for 1100 so I went
>with the swaro for just
>300 more. But I hear
>the nikon is a good
>scope for the money...

Where did you get a Swaro 65 for $1400?

hey Griz, are you sure you're not thinking of the new Fieldscope EDG models? I've never used one, but they do seem to have a somewhat 'fragile' looking appearance

Mine is the older model FS III ED, and I've never had any durability issues with it whatsoever---and that thing has hit the dirt more times than I care to admit :)

anyway, I'd be interested to see these bad reviews if you don't mind

Thanks

>Where did you get a Swaro
>65 for $1400?

Lets just say I got a real good buddy... And I guess I should have specified. It was 1405 + taxes....

Check out the link in my post 8. It has multiple people mention the fragile state of the fieldscope. I know nothing about this scope, like I said, I am just posting some other reviews for everybody to see.
Grizzly

LAST EDITED ON Apr-02-11 AT 08:28PM (MST)[p]ya Griz, I did look at your link...I saw one reference to the supposed 'fragility' of the ED 50mm in one of 'Hermanns' posts...doesn't seem like he had much real experience with it

Well, the scope he's referring to is a COMPLETELY different optic...it is a super compact ultra light model and therefore cannot be expected to handle too much abuse, though still a great optic in its own regard, I think best in its category

The FS III 60mm I suggested is quite bombproof...I've owned mine for over 5 years, and like I said, its taken quite a few hits and has been extensively subjected to all sorts of adverse weather conditions...NEVER ANY PROBLEMS, performs as perfectly as the first day

Now please don't be offended if I offer some decent advice: it is generally best not to talk authoritively (especially negatively) about things you know nothing about, as you clearly don't in this regard

Anyway, Slammer, the thing is one hell of a piece of glass, and I would highly recommend it

greatwestern, did your granddaddy invent that Nikon or something? I have never seen somebody get personally offended when discussing a third-party inanimate object. Why are you so attached to defending this thing?

Read my posts again. I never spoke negatively about the Nikon, I clearly said that I had never heard the bad reviews about that scope but wanted to post them for everybody's information (I read plenty more negative reviews, and plenty positive, but the fragility of that scope was a common concern. But since I don't have some personal attachment to defending it, I'm not going to take the time to search those again and post the links, Google them yourself if you care).

I also clearly said, "I know nothing about this scope...". And you call that "authoritively"?

Now please don't be offended if I offer some decent advice: it is generally best not to speak negatively to another person when the stuff you are spewing is based on no fact whatsoever.

Slammer, I own a Vortex and don't recommend it (I say that authoritively) and recommend looking at the New Zeiss Dialyt, it might be just what you are looking for.

Grizzly

LAST EDITED ON Apr-03-11 AT 11:30AM (MST)[p]No, no Grizzly...I am sorry it came out that way, and I apologize

No, I am not offended at all...I thought your post was misleading, considering that the model referenced in your link is a different one altogether. I also haven't seen 'all this talk on here' about this scope, if anything, I think its a sleeper in the hunting market. And I certainly have never seen 'plenty' of negative reviews, and have never heard or experienced anything negative about its durability

I defend the thing because I have used and abused it for a long time, and have had the chance to do a fair amount of side by side in field comparisons with more expensive Zeiss and Swaro models, and think it compares quite favorably, and may even have an slight edge in some regards

I guess my complaints would be that it suffers a bit at twilight due to the 60mm objective, and has a relatively narrow field of view with the 20-60 eyepiece, the zoom is a bit stiff, and the objective hood has loosened up a bit

I am not attached to any brand of optics, good glass is where you find it...

Again, my apologies, I just don't like to see a provenly good product misrepresented...which I now understand was not your intent

Cheers

**edit---oh ya, the lense covers...JUNK!

greatwestern, just curious as to where you think the nikon has a slight edge on the swarovski and or zeiss scopes? And how you feel it compares favorably? I have looked through a few nikons and while the glass is quite good considering it's price, I feel having to sit an inch from the eyepiece while glassing can get quite uncomfortable. IMO, the eyepiece is what makes the swaro scope, being able to be comfortable while glassing is reason enough for me... Now just if swarovski came out with a scope like the 50mm nikon now that would be sweet! Just my .02... And to the original poster, good luck on your search for a scope...

LAST EDITED ON Apr-03-11 AT 05:43PM (MST)[p]Ya IDMuley, its funny you mention that, as for me its quite the opposite...its hard for me to feel 'settled in' with the Swaros, I always felt like I was fighting with them a bit (I feel likewise about their binoculars)...just never quite comfortable to my eyes after more than a few minutes. I've never had this problem with the nikon eyepieces (I do always use with the eyecup cranked all the way out)

In comparison to two different Diascope 65s, I thought the FS III was very slightly sharper at higher power (45x) in bright conditions before sunset, with one of the owners rather reluctantly agreeing...again, the zeiss penetrated the twilight better

I also prefer the focus mechanism on the nikon over the Zeiss

In any case, hope you find what you're lookin for Slammer, let us know how it works out

Cheers'

**has anyone here used the EDG scopes?

If money were no object I'd get the 65mm Swaro HD. Since money is an object I'd get the Kowa Prominar 663/664, as it's withing a whisker of the Swaro at much less cost. I've looked through them both. The Kowa is optically superior to the fieldscope, Zeiss, and everthing else except Swaro for that matter. If I wanted an extremely tough, great glass spotter in that range I'd opt for the Leupold 60mm HD.

I'm not familiar with the Kowa and it doesn't look like Camera Land or Cabelas even carry it.

What are the positive's/negative's on it?

Grizzly

You are right, CameraLand does not handle them. If they did, I would have emailed Doug and got it from him.

I got a good number of replys on another forum about this scope versus the Nikon Fieldscope III ED. I heard a lot of good things about the Kowa (ED models) and read the same from a longtime Alaskan guide who swears by them. Reggie at ##### also is complimentary of them.

Many feel they are close to Swarovski and better than Zeiss and Nikon. For the money and my intended use, they seem like the right choice for me.

The model I bought is the Kowa TSN-664 Prominar ED 66mm Straight Spotting Scope. It also comes in angled - Model TSN-663.

Light - 36 oz - lighter than most 60mm scopes.

Being it is 66mm vs 60mm it is better in lower light conditions.

ED glass - the good stuff. They also make non-ED models but based on my photography background, these didn't interest me.

Warranty - Limited lifetime but not as good as Vortex or some of the others. It does not cover problems caused by damage and it is not transferable.

A lot of target shooters use Kowa scopes but usually the larger diameter models. I feel the 66mm is a good compromise between weight and optical performance.

Price - I bought it on Amazon and paid $837 for the scope and $401 for the 20x-60x eyepiece and carrying case. I got the last scope at that price as I see they are now $970 for just the scope.

Glad this exercise is over. Hopefully the scope will perform as anticipated.

Right on, sounds like a good one! That is quite lightweight indeed, and it will be nice to have that 66 on the front

Only Kowa optic I've ever had the chance to spend a little bit of time behind was one of those Highlander monsters a couple years ago...thing was pretty dang sweet, I coulda sat there all day!

Anyway, glad you found what sounds like a great deal, and I would be very interested to hear how you like it after you've had a chance to give er a run, if you feel so inclined

Cheers'

It looks like you made a good choice. I was not familiar with Kowa until this thread, but Optics4Birding rates a Kowa scope the best scope they have ever tested. Better than any of the Big 3.

Thanks for the insight, otherwise I never would've known to look at Kowa.

Grizzly

Griz:

That is the great thing about the internet - the days of making a major purchase without doing the research are over. Forums like this are a big help too.

Been using Kowa scopes since the late 80's. Was in Alaska and stopped along the highway where some bird watchers were wathing some swans. I started glassing the mountain and saw some dall rams, I had a Swarovski scope and put it on these sheep and could see they were nice rams. Asked one of the birders if I could look thru his Kowa I could see the rams eyes. As soon as I got home ordered one. At the rifle range when the Swar., 65's came out about 10 years ago a friend of mine got one of the first ones, we could see the bullet holes with my Kowa 614ED but not with the Swar. Read the birdwatcher forums, the Kowa's are the highest rated spotters. The Kowa Highlanders blow away the Swars. and the Leicas and I own them all.

>Been using Kowa scopes since the
>late 80's. Was in Alaska
>and stopped along the highway
>where some bird watchers were
>wathing some swans. I started
>glassing the mountain and saw
>some dall rams, I had
>a Swarovski scope and put
>it on these sheep and
>could see they were nice
>rams. Asked one of the
>birders if I could look
>thru his Kowa I could
>see the rams eyes. As
>soon as I got home
>ordered one. At the rifle
>range when the Swar.,
> 65's came out about
>10 years ago a friend
>of mine got one of
>the first ones, we could
>see the bullet holes with
>my Kowa 614ED but not
>with the Swar. Read the
>birdwatcher forums, the Kowa's are
>the highest rated spotters. The
>Kowa Highlanders blow away the
>Swars. and the Leicas and
>I own them all.

To be honest, I had no idea or any knowlege about Kowa. I believe what you say. I did not think that Swarovski had this kind of competition??? Interesting thread to say the least!

If all you read and hear is true, Kowa ought to take a serious look at their marketing strategies because they sure aren't getting the word out on their own!

Kowa is owned by Swarovski. For fun look at thier "Big Eyes." Over $4,000.00 and it is two spotting scopes put together to make a giant binocular weighing over 14 pounds. Kowa's been around for a good while but has recently really stepped up the quality.
Also interesting, Leica used to owne Minox but the two companies split up several years ago. fatrooster.

^ya, that's what I looked through...I think it is called Highlander?

Kind of a funny name, as that thing is a tank! Wouldn't want to haul it up to the the 'Highlands' on my back anyway! :)

Optically, pretty dang sweet...definitely interested to check out the spotter Slammer ordered

Someone sent a PM regarding my opinion about Swaro...said 'they seem like they're pulling your eyes out of their sockets'

That's pretty much exactly it! I couldn't think of a way to describe the feeling, but that does it

I've never heard that about Swarovski but everybodies eyes are different. You are right, Highlander is the name of those big eyes by Kowa. A friend of mine bought a pair but I've never had the oppurtunity to look through them. But I'd sure love to. fatrooster.

Fortis, you are right. I had Kowa mixed up with Kahles. My apologies. And, I did not know that Swaro was no longer affiliated with Kahles. Thanks foe setting me straight, lol. I would love to see a Kowa spotter next to a Swaro and look on my owne and compare them. I've heard and read so many comparisons to Swarovski with so many of those being false that its hard for me to really listen to them.
I will say this, my buddy who ownes the Highlanders told me that he can watch deer about a mile away with his Highlanders and Swarovski spotting scope and with the Swaro he can tell if there is a nice buck. But with his Highlanders he can count the points. I asked him if it was because the Kowas were better quality or if it was because he was using two eyes with the Highlanders. He said he was not sure why but he could definitely see better.
I'm in the market for a new spotter also so I would love to hear anybodies opinion. fatrooster.

Ya 'Rooster, two eyes does make a decent amount of positive difference, as I'm sure you know...anyone can try it out and see for themselves using their binocular, looking at something out near the max range of discernment, first with one barrel and then with both...much less eye fatigue as well

The hardcore rat deer hunters have been making their own 'big eyes' for years, mounting two spotters on a common bracket, which I still think could be built up to be superior to the Highlander itself, all things considered

Anyway, still very interested in this Kowa 66mm, and look forward to getting the chance to use one

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom