150 class deer

ishootaRUM300

What do you guys feel about 150 class deer are they few and far between? I work with a doctor that thinks they are few and far between. I very much disagree with this. I would agree that here in Minnesota they are few and far between except down in the south east corner where the is a tine restriction because everybody shoots the first buck they see. I personaly have not shot a 150 class, but have only hunted out of state now three times. I have seen 3 bucks taken in that class or above in those three yeaars. These are also very low points preference units like no point or 1 point units. Please tell me I am right because i would like to have a few bucks that size or better. As said I have seen three in three years so I think I have a good chance to do so.

Blacktail or Muley? :)

Depends where you're hunting, if a limited entry type or general over the counter type tag. I have passed up over 20 near or better than 150" class bucks in a single day before so i usually don't get too excited about a buck in that class. I think that it starts to get tough when talking about 170+

For most Muley hunts i go on though, i'm looking for a buck that will score at least that or he's gonna be a older buck with maybe a not high scoring rack but have mass and character.

They are still out there, i think a 150 class buck is a very realistic goal for most anybody who is willing to hunt hard and put in the time. One of the last bucks that i took was a 150 class deer and i was/am still very happy with him for where i was hunting. Good luck with it!!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Obviuosly, you're talking whitetail...150 is a tough DIY prospect unless you're going high-end guided or you have your own large tract of land to manage. Doable, but costly. Mexico, Texas, North of the Border are probably your best bets. I don't pay for whitetails so I have several between the 130-140 range, I'll seen a couple of 150+, but never able to seal the deal...good luck.

30Hart said, "Obviuosly, you're talking whitetail..."

Where do you get that? I too wondered because of where he's from but thought that this IS a muley site, he's talking about his 3 outa state hunts, and he does hunt mulies... oh well.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Almost any area can grow 150 bucks both whitetail and mule deer as long as they are able to live to 4 or five years old. The best chance you have is to find a piece of private ground to hunt. Go knock on doors. I live in Idaho but know a guy who lived in Minnesota and shot a 186 inch buck. The little ones just need to have a chance to grow. There are a lot of 150 inch whitetail in your area. Probably more 150 inch whitetail per area than mule deer. Mule deer are to susceptible to rifles due to their habitat, especially at long range, to grow very big in general areas. Where I grew up mule deer hunting in Washington, anything that was legal (3 points on one side) is considered a trophy by most. A 140 4 point would be huge to most. The genetics and food are there, but the age is not.

If you do your home work and get permission on some private land, your chances of getting a 150 whitetail are not that bad, if of course you don't shoot a small one first.

My family grew up hunting mule deer in Utah. We sometimes hunted archery and muzzy on public land, but had always had a small bit of private land where we used to be able to rifle hunt every year.

6 years ago that all changed when a rich hunting club made the landowner an offer he couldn't refuse and 60+ years of family tradition was gone. We were forced to start hunting general units for our mule deer. On those general units here in Utah, hunting with different tags throughout that time, I can say that I or a family member I was hunting with have seen 12-14 bucks that would be a 150" buck or better. 9 of those deer were during archery hunts.

Considering we are hunting completely new areas to our family, I don't think that is too bad of a record. One area that we have hunted 4 different times we started having better success in, then last year it sucked... So it's probably still a crap shoot no matter what...

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom