128 type 1 Advice

440sixpack

My wife drerw 128-1, I took a 202 buck off this hunt about 10 years ago but I know it's gone downhill since then.

If anyone who's hunted it more recent than that has any advice and an idea of what I should be having her hold out for I'd be grateful.

My neighbor hunted it for 10 days last season. Can't remember, but the best buck he saw was a 160 - 170. He ate his tag and said he won't put in for it again. Another buddy drew it 3 years ago and came home with a 150 - 160 buck. Maybe this is the year it turns around...

I drew this tag 3 of the last 4 years including this year. The first year I got picky and didn't shoot anything. The second year I lowered my standards and shot a 167" buck which was the biggest i saw. This year I will hunt hard again but will shoot for 170". This is a fun hunt but not a trophy hunt. In 2009 I got 4th in the big buck contest with my buck and the next two bucks looked to be about 170" give or take. The big buck was maybe 175". Don't expect monster bucks and you'll have more fun on this hunt.

170 is a decent buck these days, even back when I hunted it other than the buck I shot I didn't see anything over 170. she'd be happy with that.

We love the area so much it's as much about that as the score. I need to find out more about the BLM north of the hiway, I hunted mostly on the south side.

I knew a couple people that had this tag last year and it was the same concensus as the rest. Nothing big enough to put their tags on.

nontypical---Yep, his profile shows he lives in Wilson, Wyoming and he obviously knows who runs the draw computer, LOL!

LAST EDITED ON Jun-26-11 AT 02:09PM (MST)[p]We drew in '07 and had a great hunt. Passed on a few 150 to 160 type bucks. My Dad killed a 28" 180ish buck that took 3rd in the big buck contest. I shot a small 24" 4x3. Passed the contest winner just before dark the night before it was killed at 10:00 a.m. in the same spot. We were not sure of the exact end of legal shooting time, but turns out we would have been legal by a few minutes. Here he is dead!

47412007codybrownbuck1st.jpg

31 1/2 " 6x7

LAST EDITED ON Jun-26-11 AT 02:19PM (MST)[p]Oh! I forgot to mention that I get the chance to redeem myself this Nov. because we drew 128-1 again! I can't wait!

My Dad's '07 buck

5103scan0002.jpg

What a bummer to pass on that buck just because you didn't know the legal shooting time! Nice buck your Dad got there!!!

Yeah I guess I got a little lucky to draw it 3 times. I've been lucky a few other times as well. I drew my first moose tag the first time I applied and a sheep tag the second year I applied. My wife is luckier as she drew #3 in the 1999 buffalo hunt when there were only 4 bull tags given out that year. Hopefully my luck hasn't been used up yet.

Shot a 180 up there last year, we had a blast. We saw tons of deer, but the one I shot was the biggest we saw by far. We spent 10 days up there.

Layemdown

"Vegetables are not food, vegetables are what food eats!!"

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom