128-1

R

redsetter

Drew 128-1, mule deer rut hunt. I am looking for good info on outfitters I can contact. PM's please. Thanks.

Wayne Suda is a great guide, but I'm not sure he's in the biz anymore. he guided me to a 202 non typical in '97 , but when my wife had the tag two years ago we did it ourselves. the quality and quantity of deer was not near what it was in '97. the lower tag numbers might help that now.

Fritz Meyers with Wind River Outfitters is who most guys go with.

I've hunted this hunt twice and my opinion is if an outfitter can't get you on private land I wouldn't use an outfitter. it's an easy DIY hunt and the chances at a book class buck are slim no matter how you go about it. it's a fun hunt not a trophy hunt as soon as you accept that you're going to love it.

Stay thirsty my friends

I agree with 440sixpack re. the usefulness of a guide & the names he mentioned, unless you need a guide to hook you up on private land - I've done this hunt 5 yrs DIY on nat'l forest land and there are some good areas that are accessible on public lands during this hunt. The big bucks are generally few & far between, but they are there if you're in the right place at the right time. I can PM some specific info if you'd like...

You will have a great time. I went last year and camped up there with a friend. You will see a lot of bucks but few will gross over 180. I only saw 2 and one was on private, the other is at the taxidermist. I would agree with using a guide only if he has access to a few different pieces of private property. If you go DIY you just may want to get a left over cow elk tag also, and shoot one after you get your buck.

Bill

You can olny get the cow tag for the south side of the hiway can't you? we saw tons of elk on the north side but none on the south side.

I hope the tag cuts improve the hunt in a few years. with 1/2 the hunters that should help.

Stay thirsty my friends

Thanks for the info from everyone. I would welcome a pm rockymountainhunter.

Dodgeman(440sixpack)
The cow tags for elk unit 67-6 was a left-over tag and good for the northern part of deer unit 128-1 west of Wiggins creek if I remember right. And started Nov. 15 I think. I would also suggest tying to deer hunt before this cow elk hunt starts unless you have access to private property. It starts to get crowded.

Bill

If that's right I'd get a cow tag then, I could have filled it every day . east of Wiggins there were even more elk and quite a few elk hunters.

The only problem is the hunting was pretty slow until the 15th. 99% of the cow hunters just drive the roads , if they were glassing they weren't too ambitious because I never saw any of them go after the elk that were very far off the road.

I don't think they cause deer hunters much problem other that traffic jams. the doe hunters are the ones who kept the deer boo'd up. maybe they've trimmed those tag numbers too I'm not sure.

Stay thirsty my friends

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom