12 points/where

J

justhunt1

I'm looking for some feed back on where would be the best place to put in for 2015 deer. I've been going with the book cliffs the last couple of years and a couple of cwmu's. I feel like I'm running out of time to draw so I can start building up some elk points before I get to old to hunt. I would really like to draw this year and can't decide what would be my best option to shoot a good deer. Some of the stories I hear about cwmu's worry me and I'm not sure what LE areas would be best anymore. Since they split the book cliffs has this changed things there. I appreciate any help given.

I drew Vernon rifle a couple years ago with 10 points. I really liked the area. I shot a lesser than average buck but I had a great time. I'd love to go back there. I think if you talk to the right people, you can find good bucks there. If I was a bit more patient, I could've done better. The hunt is what you make of it. Good luck...

Steve

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

Thanks for the reply, I have hunted the Vernon unit a couple of times and also done some guiding there as well. I hunted it years ago when it had a lot of deer but it was still not producing the quality of bucks that I would like to take now. I'm not sure if poaching is still a problem out there but back then it was a real problem for most of the larger bucks. I really haven't heard much about the deer out there now, or what a hunter can expect to shoot on average. What are your thoughts on being able to shoot out there 150,160,170,180 or even better.

I had the archery tag for Book Cliffs this year. Saw a lot of average bucks, small bucks and very few nice bucks. It has really gone down in quality the past few years.

If you work hard there are still some great bucks there but real hard to find once they rub off the velvet and get away from teh roads and crowds. Depends on what you are looking for. I scouted seven days before hunt and only saw half a dozen bucks over 160 with best at 180. Look at the drawing odds from this year to get an idea where to put in. On the CWMU look at the evaluations of them to pick out a good one.

Vernon unit you can expect a 170-180'ish buck or two taken there every year. I'm sure that's with most LE units though....just gotta find em.

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

Crawford mountain muzzy.................

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

If it were me I wouldn't spend 12 point on the Books. Not the quality of bucks I would want with the many points.

This Crawford unit is pretty much dependent on the snow for it to be any good isn't it. Or can a person still see and kill decent bucks without the snow to push them in there.

This is kinda the sense I'm getting from other folks about the book, but I hear that a lot of hunters are just road hunting and not getting in and hunting hard. My thoughts are that if I got away from the roads and spent my time looking for mister right it would pay off. However, I know nothing about this unit other than past history hear say. I really appreciate everyone's feedback on here cause this may be my last chance for a decent deer.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom