11/11/11; unit 11 buck..

S

springbear

Kind of funny on all the 1's in this deal.

My wife had the Unit 11 tag. Time was tight on her schedule, so she indicated that as long as it was a nice buck and bigger than her prievious Mule Deer, she would shoot it.

We went out on 11/11/11 to unit 11... Saw plenty of deer and lots of bucks. Nothing real good, some big 3 points, but not big enough. We had gotten 3 or so miles from the truck and were going to circle around and head back to the truck, we wanted to look into one more canyon and see if anything was moving in it. I spotted a buck bedded down below some does, fast asleep, after looking at him in the spotting scope, my wife indicated that he was big enough. I ranged him at 411 yards. My wife was not real comfortable with that shot, so we made a plan to cut through a draw, slide down a ridge out of sight and cut the distance in half. The stalk worked out pretty good, but the does busted us and she could not get a shot at him due to the tall grass and slope of the canyon. I told her not to get to worried because he was bound to wake up and figure out that his does had taken off with out him. Sure enough after a few minutes he woke up and went up the hill to find them, She was set up on the bipod and ready. She hit him real hard on the first shot and cartwheeled him back down into the canyon out of sight. The distance 211 yards.... We hurried down the ridge so that we could see the canyon bottom. My wife spotted him standing and finished him with a 115 yard shot. I happend to glance at my watch; 1:10! By the GPS we had 1.14 miles to pack him out to another road, and 1150 feet of elevation to gain in that mile.... Not sure what the odds are, but that was a lot of 1's.

forgot the camera in the truck, so no good field photos.

PB111235.jpg

PB131243.jpg

PB131241.jpg

Thats an awesome deer.You definatly earn it in that country.Congrats to your wife on a hard earned trophy.

Makes for a much more memorable hunt when you stalk in closer for a good shot. Nice buck. Bet your legs were burnin coming out of there.

Nice buck! I love the first picture with your wife and the bloody hands holding the rifle... My wife would never to that! Tell her Congrats.

Congrats to the wife Springbear.

I have a friend hunting elk and Whitetails there with his 2 daughters, they got their bulls (nothing big) but no whities yet. they were seeing some nice mulies last I talked to him though.

Bill

Look out Forkie, FTW is watching us!

We got snow up here the last couple of days. The Whitetails are really starting to move.

Tell your wife congrats, nice buck. My uncle hunted 11 this year and said that he never seen any bucks that would go over 190". When he got drawn for the tag he thought that he had a pretty good chance at a 200" buck. Hopefully the unit will come back with the bruisers or maybe just make the unit a general hunt unit.

From what I saw in my 1 day of helping out on a unit 11 buck tag this year, I would hate to see it go to a general hunt. Not to mention that if you did, all the big bucks left would get killed in a year or two. Too many local guys that watch these bucks, the muleys would follow the way of the elk herd in that unit!

Mike

It is still a pretty good unit for deer. We did not really put that much into it, as my wife was not into going big time and hitting the deep canyons. She passed on 10 or so bucks the morning she shot this one. Most of them had the same basic frame, but were 3 points or 3x4's or something. Still MUCH better than most any general unit in this area. I know we could have killed a lot bigger buck, and had it been my tag, I would have tried much harder. But it was her tag and it was kind of fun to lower the expectations, and just hunt for a nice one.

I see no reason to turn it into a general unit, it would have nothing but forkies in it after a couple of years.

Now the elk hunt in this unit is kind of a joke. I have never been so let down after what I thought was going to be super hunt..... And that was several years ago, when it was supposed to be something special.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom