10x50's or 12x50's??

J

JOHUNT

I currently use 10x42's. I hunt in fairly open country and can see for a long ways. So im looking to buy a new pair of binos to carry with me ( on a bino harness) and was wondering if 12x50s were too big to comfortably carry while hiking.

Ive narrowed my selection down to Vortex Diamondback binos. Just looking for some insight on the powers.

If you told me what you carried that would be apreciated also.

Thanks

In my opinion the 12's are not much different than the 10's. And I personally do not think that 15's are much different than the 10's. Put your 10 power bino's on a tripod and you will spot much more game. Get a spotting scope with 20 x 60 zoom.
Many on this site disagree with me and love the 15's. fatrooster.

tripod them and they will make a different.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

I am using the 10x Zen Ray ED2 I use a tripod and carry them. They are EXCELLENT binos for the money. However, I am about to get a new optics setup because I am always wanting to view that next ridge over and the 10x aren't enough power, and when I do handhold them I need a walking stick as a support I get too much wobble. Not sure what I will move to next I am thinking just going with one optic a quality 15x bino and tripod. This would be nice to sit and view large areas for a long time, but a hassle if I move a lot. So my next thought is a good compact scope and tripod and a more hand holdable lower power but very high quality bino. So for me 10x or 12x seems too powerful for convenience and too weak for long distance.

I agree with Fatrooster. Tripod your 10x and get a variable power spotter.
I tried 12x and hunted with a buddy who used 15x, but there really wasn't enough of a difference from my 10x42 to justify the weight and cost. The cost of the bino tripod adapter is worth the test. If you dont like the adapter sell it and get new binos.

I am surprised that so many prefer the spotting scope in lieu of an extra set of 15X's? I am not saying one is better than another. However, i find that it is a pain to set up a spotter everytime you change glassing locations.

I am looking at carrying my 10X42's on my bino harness and have a pair of 15X's in a pack. Maybe it is worth the extra 5X to have more hassle getting the spotter setup.

I probably need to convince myself to make a better effort with my spotter????

LAST EDITED ON Mar-24-11 AT 03:55PM (MST)[p]15s are cool and everything, and a few of my good buds in the desert run them things almost exclusively....always off a tripod for anything more than a quick glance at something

I like a wider field of view, a bigger exit pupil, and a lighter package in a 10x42 type binocular; along with a good midsized spotter (60-65mm) and a light Slik tripod which i use the binocular on as well

the average 15s in a 56-60mm may weigh even more than many midsized spotters; you still want to put them on a tripod for serious glassing; and why limit yourself to 5x more when under good conditions you can crank er all the way to 60x with the spotter?

I certainly would never carry a 15 over a spotter, but others may disagree entirely

**edit--also, there is the 'switch-power' option as someone above mentioned...the Leica Duovid 10-15X50 is pretty dang sweet if your feeling thick in the wallet ;)

I have 10x50 Alpen Apex and they are great on a harness. I carry a Eastmans hunting stick and use that for quick stability. I put them on a tripod also for long periods of glassing.But I do have a spotter for real long distance and closeup looks.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom