10x42 or 10x50?

Dr_Hunter

Very Active Member
What do most of you carry in the field? I have always used 10x36 binos and have enjoyed them. I am currently upgrading and am debating on a 10x42 bino but then noticed that they have it available in 10x50. At first I thought that the 10x50 would be too big, but I actually kind of like them. What do you think?

I don't think there is any other quality
so essential to success of any kind as the
quality of perseverance. It overcomes
almost everything, even nature.
-John D. Rockefeller

10 power is about right unless you're a shaky type guy. The 42mm front lense size is very standard, like YD stated.

I'd use 7 or 8 power glasses if you hunt the thicker stuff most often.

I'd go with 50mm fronts if it was a truck-glass. I don't want tne extra weight and bulk (I have enough on my body already)haha

Go with the 10x42mm...... unless you want the others!

You really can't go wrong with any of them BUT quality is the key!

Zeke

I like the 42's, good size to see decently without the heavy weights of larger binoc's...
I wouldn't want to carry heavy binoc's all day, too much weight for me..

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

10X42 Zeiss Classics for me!

The bigger Objective lens give you more light gathering capability, but it always increases the weight of the glass.
I have 10X42 for standard hunting, but I also have some 15X56s for serious glassing sessions. They require a tripod to be any good at all.

I have both 10X42 and 10X50 Like them both. I read somewhere a long time ago that if you multiply the power (first number) by 5 you will get the optimum light to feild of view.

You get the same info, but I have always heard divide the objective by the power. 42 by 10 is 4.2mm. 50 by 10 is 5mm. In low light your pupil opens to about 5 mm, so the 50 will be better in low light. However, for me the weight factor means I carry the 10x42s. If I were stationay and had a tripod, I would get the bigger ones, for carrying in the field, the 10x42s have worked better for me.

That said, I carry my 8x42s 95% of the time.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I love my 10x50 slc swaros and have owned 10x42 & 12x50 el's. Sold the EL's to go back to my 10x50 SLC. Yes they are heavier but well worth it at daylight and dark. Hell, leave a couple granola bars back at the truck if you're worried aboud those extra few ounces!

T264

I hunted with 10X50's for years. Weight was never an issue. When it was time to replace them, the glass I wanted came only in 10X42. I really think there is very little difference in weight or ability to see. Get the glass you like best.

Thanks for the info. I have always thought the 10x50s would be huge and never considered them. Then I checked them out side by side with the 10x42s and they really weren't that much heavier or bulkier. There is a 3.5oz difference in weight.

I don't think there is any other quality
so essential to success of any kind as the
quality of perseverance. It overcomes
almost everything, even nature.
-John D. Rockefeller

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom