100 grain bullets for 270 win

W

waetherby270

I am wanting to know what you all think about using a 100 grain bullet for 270 win. Is it enough to cleanly kill mule deer size game or is it too light of a load? I would greatly appreciate all of our comments on this. the reason why i am asking is because i want to set up a 270 Win.for my fiance and am considering the 100 grain loads for lighter recoil for her size. shes a small framed woman.

I use a 110 in my 257 weatherby and it does fine. The 100, IMO, is not ideal for the 270 but I am sure it is enough for deer. Shot placement is more important.

My wife shoot the 270 and uses the 140 grain Hornady. She loves it. I can get her through 3/4 a box while practicing with no issues only the occasional pulled shot. My wife is tiny, weighs a 115 pounds soaking wet. The biggest issue we found was finding a gun that fit her right. Most guns the stock length was too much. We eventually got a a rem700, then had a gun smith cut the stock and add a pad. In all honesty it is a great gun.

IMHO there are many other thing you can do to lesson recoil effects that are way better than to give up bullet performance. A muzzy break, recoil pads etc.

Also when I started my wife, I told her that it was going to kick and the best she could do is just man up a bit. In the end it seemed a little harsh, but after some practice and fitment, she just accepts the fact recoils is part of the game. Practice and do everything to make her comfortable. Make sure she understands how to properly hold, shoulder and shoot the recoil will not be an issue... Of and for the 100 gr. bullets there is limited selection and they will not perform no where close to a 130gr bullet...

The shape of a bullet has a great deal to do with field performance. The short shank and usually thinner jackets of the 100 gr .277 bullets would give me a great pause.

It would make a helluva surface wound for sure and you might even get enough of the bullet fragments into the vitals to do the job. I'd not risk it when you'd be better served to do a reduced powder/recoil load and stick with a better bullet.

Zeke

Barnes makes a 100 or maybe 110, and I wouldn't hesitate to use that on the biggest mule deer. And I wouldn't hesitate to take quartering toward or away shots with it either.

The only way I would go that small with a 270 would be if I used a premium bullet that didn't fragment like Zeke is worried about. He also points out bullet length and shape. I tried some 100g bullets in my 270 years ago and they shot like crap because the barrel twist was more ideal for heavier bullets.
So the question in my mind would be...will they shoot decent and can you find one that will hold together. I have killed plenty of deer with a 100g Nosler partition bullet out of my 257 Roberts so a bullet that size that holds together is fine.

I am using the 110 grain Barnes Tipped Triple Shocks in my 270. There factory loaded Federal Premiums. There as acurate as 130 Triple shocks out of my Ruger. They seem to have as much recoil as the 130s also. They were a limited run from Federal, I bought 20 boxes.

I would load up some 130gr accubonds and let her shoot them. Let her be the judge if the recoil is to much. Im betting she will be fine with them.

Also instal a limbsaver recoil pad and this will be even more comfortable for her. You could shorten the stock to fit her if this gun is going to be used by her and mainly her. What brand of rifle is it?

dang302 is right. My wife has harvested two deer and one Antelope with Barns 110. All of them at 300 yards with no problems.

quest

The 100 gr solids like Barnes would be fine. But the standard 100 gr .270 bullets are designed for varmits with light jackets, no bonding... Maybe ok for a broadside lung shot but wouldn't penetrate well and would destroy lots of meat on a non ideal angle.

my wife is also very small 105 lbs and 5' 3'' she shot my 270 and killed a buck last year at 150 yards shooting hand loaded 140 grn accubonds. she said the kick wasn't bad. i wouldn't go below 130 on my 270 unless im working up a varmint load. the heavier the better imho.

"Shoot Straight"

I think you should consider rifle modifications before dropping the bullet weight.

I'd look into reduced loads for a 130gr Berger reload.

With these Bergers and a reduced load of 24gr of SR 4759 powder you are pushing 1152 ft/lbs of energy and 37 ft/lbs of momentum at the muzzle. Max range on deer sized game would be around 300.

you will find a 130gr bullet at 2700fps wii creat less recoil to her shoulder than a 100gr bullet at 3400fps.

here is a recoil calculator:
http://www.handloads.com/calc/recoil.asp

here is a ballistics calculator:
http://www.biggameinfo.com/index.aspx?page=/balcalc.ascx

After you use these calculators I think you'll agree that an average 130gr load will be best. If not, I hope you still have a great hunt!

My wife just killed a Mountain Goat with a 270 WSM loaded to the nuts with a 130 Nosler accubond (that gun likes to shoot them). There was never a concern about recoil and nothing was discussed before or after about the "kick".

I agree that if you must go with a light bullet then the Barnes are the only way to go. They will work fine on big game IF you rifle will shoot them accurately enough to suit you.

Good luck,
Zeke

>I'd look into reduced loads for
>a 130gr Berger reload.

A 110 barnes will outperform a 130 berger every time. I have used a 130 berger to kill 2 deer with great results, but no question a 110 barnes will retain more weight and penetrate deeper. They beauty of barnes is you can drop weight and get equal performance. a 150g barnes in a 300 win mag will be every bit as effective as an old style lead/copper 180 grainer....That said, i just shoot 180 grain barnes and nothing stops it!

>you will find a 130gr bullet
>at 2700fps wii creat less
>recoil to her shoulder than
>a 100gr bullet at 3400fps.

Why compare a hot 110 load to a weak 130 load. If a normal 110 load is too much reduce it.
Just load that 110 to 3000fps and your in great shape. I would stay around 3000 FPS...that is just magic. I have a ton of different calibers and guns and surprisingly most are going about 3000FPS. Bullet weight of course varies from 55 - 250 depending on the cartridge.

Take her to the range with a .223 and let her shoot the heck out of it. Hand her the .270 on the day of the hunt and she'll never know the difference. My wife shoots a .270 with no problem. She drew a OIL oryx tag and I brought my .338 on the hunt. She would never shoot it at the range. I asked her about the recoil right after the shot and she said "What recoil? I never felt a thing." Adrenalin does wonders in the field.

I agree with that. My wife shoots a 22-250 for practice and hunts with a 270 and 140gr accubonds. Recoil is never a factor in a hunting situation.

As was said above, it is not the bullet weight that matters, it is the bullet construction. Also, you can get a reduced load without dropping the bullet weight.

Thanks guys for all of our comments on my question. We got it down to using the reduced recoil loads in 115 grain Remington Core Lokts. She shot them pretty well at the range and has a nice Whitetail Doe from Nebraska to prove it. That slug went straight through the vitals and had a good sized exit hole. Now i won't need to purchase her a new rifle as she can handle the reduced recoil loads.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom